Zooming Model List (2018 Updated) Tell us about your newest zoomie!

I just picked up I Zoom Farpoint 350 zoomie with COB. The exact same as revised version of Tactight. For $8.50 and last one I took chance. We will see how it works ot.

I’d really like to have a nice 10440 zoomie. This one appears to be too cheap though. I searched Ali for others, found 0 10440 ones. OK, AAA? There are a few.
This appears to have somewhat better beam, but without focusing fully:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Model-2000LM-Mini-portable-Small-penholder-Led-Flashlight-Night-Walking-lighting-Car-Maintenance-work-Torch/32846141477.html
I still have a feeling it’s way too cheap though…

I have the richfire SF-390 & sf-360 they are very good !
clear glass .

my sf-390 with amber led works fine &the sf-360 with dedomed red led

https://www.dx.com/p/richfire-sf-390-3-mode-1000lm-led-tactical-military-zoom-flashlight-450865#.W9cHTJNKguU

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_177260.html

Who know better single zoom (18650 battery) let me know.

This one looks very promising to me.

It’s a 26650 but slim body and head. Not bad on price for a host. I would remove the orange color though. I like it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CREE-XML-l2-Zoomable-Torch-7-Modes-Flashlight-used-26650-or-18650-battery-or-AAA-battery/32618337777.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.286.5c693c00JxbHQs

^ Hmm… The lens is really small in diameter on that one.
You see that quite ofen in cheap zoomies.
As if there aren’t any larger lenses out there.

That fake Led Lenser a few pages back is quite well built.
At least, the one i got some time ago. Mine has no brand on it though.

There are a few others out there.
I have 4 different 1x AAA zoomies.
This SkyWolfEye is the slimmest i have.
I modded it with a dedomed XP-C $1.78 AAA zoomie XP-C dedomed
There was a later model from SkyWolfEye some time ago, a bit wider head and matte black finish.
Seems it was only available for a short while.
Has a slightly better lens too.
But they’re all quite crappy really… :slight_smile:

With regards to the UniqueFire series but not limited to I could also say “as if there aren't any larger drivers out there”.

17mm is too small to embrace the majority of fully regulated buck/boost stuff. Lots of lads still are stick in the mud with their same old unregulated MOSFET PWM 7135 story. But lads ought to understand their feet will continue in the mud unless they decide to endorse further development of proper drivers. This is about fostering what we want instead of letting others deciding for ourselves.

Back to my cave. ^:)

Barkuti,

FET DD is not bad choice for some users. You would not believe me but they can withstand some serious abuse plus they are simple to build… Other than that you also have linear 7135/7138 17mm drivers that could fit and not only that I had 17mm buck drivers at 2007 so did they disappeared from market?

Ok you eventually got 17mm buck driver and now you have problem of fitting it cause pill inner driver space is to shallow? Or in other words you think pill is not deep enough?

Solution is very easy. Just extend depth of such pill by adding those 17mm brass driver holders(you can stack them to desired depth).

We have choice these days :+1:

Nice find. But nothing revolutionary here. Ultimate thrower in zoomie world is Brinyte B158 with 2$ worth plastic lenses!

Never I complained of driver unreliability, but a MOSFET DD driver is like no driver. There's nothing inside of it which takes care of matching its output to the characteristics of its (led) load. Because of this the chain of electrical components inside the flashlight needs to be attuned to prevent undesirable results.

The 7135 linear regulators are not meant to be fast PWMed and have a fixed current output of 350mA per chip. No good.

Why is the above still prevailing? Availability, cheapness and probably because people knows no better.

There's some good linear drivers using MOSFETs in regulated linear mode, like led4power's offerings and the aforesaid LD-25.

Among the available buck and boost offerings lots of them are turds with undesirable characteristics like too much sense voltage (bad current sense designs) or lack of some desirable feature like undervoltage warnings.

The majority of desirable buck/boost drivers which I know of are ∅20+mm.

One thing I like a lot from a fully regulated flashlight setup is it always goes full throttle when I want it, and independently of battery state of charge.

Just some. If I am to compare the main flashlight driver technology you're using versus some of the software you're making use with them it's sort of like running MacOS 10.1w/Windows 10.w on Motorola 68020/Intel 80386 powered systems. You get the idea.

Cheers :-)

Seems it’s still available:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B16-Mini-Portable-XPE-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Pocket-Light-Waterproof-Outdoor-Use-Pen-Light-Zoomable-Pocket/32842246296.html

The past 5 lights I bought are SkyWolfEye’s. Great looking and functioning lights for under $4.00. They will be great hosts.

Hey guys, is there anyway to get rid of the ” shadow rings ” once light is fully zoomed in? What I mean is a economical fix. The ones I want to fix are Harbor Freight Quantum 588 lumens, I Zoom Farpoint 350 lumen ( same as Tactlight deluxe version) and Tasco bought from Sam’s Club.

Lights were $10 and under so I do not want to invest too much into it,

Thanks in advance.

Would DC-Fix be a good idea? There are stock lenses with diffusion, but I don’t know on which side…

Rings FTW!!! :-D

Cheers ^:)

What light, M2? Hard tell. Is that a mod causing the rings? What’s the fix?

Black electrical tape or black epoxy or nail polish or something like that around the LED MCPCB.
Also on the inside of the heat if it’s not all black already.

Stock gift on the cheap AAA zoomie posted by hank in #274 and link fixed by me in #275.

:-)

Any pics to show how? Thanks.

It's about painting/covering any of the head's inner reflective/shiny surfaces in black. May also be done with a black permanent marker.