Imalent MS18 with 100,000Lumen and R90TS with 36,000Lumen

500 posts / 0 new
Last post
LouieAtienza
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2018 - 15:15
Posts: 593
Location: New York
mattadores wrote:
I love my DX80, I love the price I paid and I do genuinely like Imalent and hope they succeed. I just can’t understand why they keep purposefully destroying their reputation!

It’s pure business decision… They’ll “destroy” their reputation to a few hardcore enthusiasts and lose them, but gain a few sales from the uninitiated. Every business does a cost-benefit analysis, and unfortunately many bean-counters are not customer-relations experts. Or engineers.

I think the lights Imalent make are fine, even good, and they have enough WOW factor in them that there’s really no need for blatant false advertising. It’s like playing poker with two crooks – “You got 5 queens? I beat you with 7 jacks!” It’s almost like the manufacturers peruse these forums, get Texas Ace’s or koef3’s or maukka’s or whomever’s test results (that are done on a huge actively cooled heatsink) and multiply it by the number of emitters to come up with their numbers.

Take the DX80 for example. Yes there was a recall, but they got to have known they were shipping a defective product. It’s almost like taking a defective product, selling them as a way to raise money, then ship replacement parts afterwards. Not saying this was the case with the DX80, because things happen, but it makes you wonder if with more extensive testing, there would have not been as much a recall as there was.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 days ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 613
Location: Alberta
LouieAtienza wrote:
mattadores wrote:
I love my DX80, I love the price I paid and I do genuinely like Imalent and hope they succeed. I just can’t understand why they keep purposefully destroying their reputation!

It’s pure business decision… They’ll “destroy” their reputation to a few hardcore enthusiasts and lose them, but gain a few sales from the uninitiated. Every business does a cost-benefit analysis, and unfortunately many bean-counters are not customer-relations experts. Or engineers.

I think the lights Imalent make are fine, even good, and they have enough WOW factor in them that there’s really no need for blatant false advertising. It’s like playing poker with two crooks – “You got 5 queens? I beat you with 7 jacks!” It’s almost like the manufacturers peruse these forums, get Texas Ace’s or koef3’s or maukka’s or whomever’s test results (that are done on a huge actively cooled heatsink) and multiply it by the number of emitters to come up with their numbers.

Take the DX80 for example. Yes there was a recall, but they got to have known they were shipping a defective product. It’s almost like taking a defective product, selling them as a way to raise money, then ship replacement parts afterwards. Not saying this was the case with the DX80, because things happen, but it makes you wonder if with more extensive testing, there would have not been as much a recall as there was.

I really like the crooked poker reference.

Seriously agree that there’s no need for the overstatement. This light might very well produce 70 000 lumens. Why not call it a 75 000 lumen light. LOL either way it’s still the KING

Kinda like: so I’ve built an oldschool muscle car dragster that has 1700 HP which is astonishing yet I decide to tell everyone it makes 2050 because I think it sounds better.

LouieAtienza
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2018 - 15:15
Posts: 593
Location: New York

Adhara wrote:
Whatever. Even if exaggerated by 50%, it looks to kick the crap out of the GT4.

I buy this class of lights for the giggles, they’re cheap enough to justify the tradeoffs they (including the GT) force in the user. They’re toys, nothing more.

While not surprising that a BLF project is worshipped as if it can do no wrong in its eponymous forum, let’s be real: both companies lights are toys, built at and priced at that level. No one whose life / income depended on a light of their kind would be using either…

The difference is, the BLF light will come close to, or slightly exceed, its output and throw specs. The GT4 is not intended to be the swath of light this is. It’s intended for large down-the-range lighting.

That said, I think a higher powered version of VoB’s GT COB conversion would probably be a more useful and practical light than these mega multi-emitter lights.

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4338
Location: US

I have not experienced any problems with my Imalent lights yet.

I tested two R90C in my TA lumen tube and they measure about 14k lumens at turn on with some light leakage because of the large head size so I estimate about 15k lumens. Light is still very impressive though but a bit disappointed that I bought it so soon since R90TS will likely be 30k lumens

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 630

I don’t have a problem with the flashlight itself nor concerned about it’s quality….because i will never buy one.

In an open forum, conversation will deviate and the OP should expect that. Also should expect the criticism of the product. Particularly if the claims are not backed by actual testing and proof.

I think there would be a different conversation in here if there was proof of 100,000 lumen running, even for a minute or so. Without proof, it’s legitime conversation to question the claims.

Just saying…..

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 630

LouieAtienza wrote:
Adhara wrote:
Whatever. Even if exaggerated by 50%, it looks to kick the crap out of the GT4.

I buy this class of lights for the giggles, they’re cheap enough to justify the tradeoffs they (including the GT) force in the user. They’re toys, nothing more.

While not surprising that a BLF project is worshipped as if it can do no wrong in its eponymous forum, let’s be real: both companies lights are toys, built at and priced at that level. No one whose life / income depended on a light of their kind would be using either…

The difference is, the BLF light will come close to, or slightly exceed, its output and throw specs. The GT4 is not intended to be the swath of light this is. It’s intended for large down-the-range lighting.

That said, I think a higher powered version of VoB’s GT COB conversion would probably be a more useful and practical light than these mega multi-emitter lights.

I don’t know what you are reffering too, but if there is one wow light that i will force open my wallet, it would be for that light on youtube with the 38mm LED.

Even a wow light needs to be functional….

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 444

Any updates? Official release date?

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4338
Location: US

I wish they used the Boost Hx in the R90TS instead of the xhp35 hi. Would have doubled the throw with similar lumen output

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

M4D M4X wrote:

first video 


seems the cooling has improved 



Is it still has no external charging port?

cool i'll see you when you get there

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8821
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

it has Smile 

PLEASE NOTE
i do not work in "reviews, deals and codes" for the time being
maybe M4D M4X will return one day, but until then:

THANK YOU FOR YEARS OF YOUR SUPPORT AND FRIENDLY CONTACTS!

LouieAtienza
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2018 - 15:15
Posts: 593
Location: New York
mattadores wrote:
LouieAtienza wrote:
mattadores wrote:
I love my DX80, I love the price I paid and I do genuinely like Imalent and hope they succeed. I just can’t understand why they keep purposefully destroying their reputation!

It’s pure business decision… They’ll “destroy” their reputation to a few hardcore enthusiasts and lose them, but gain a few sales from the uninitiated. Every business does a cost-benefit analysis, and unfortunately many bean-counters are not customer-relations experts. Or engineers.

I think the lights Imalent make are fine, even good, and they have enough WOW factor in them that there’s really no need for blatant false advertising. It’s like playing poker with two crooks – “You got 5 queens? I beat you with 7 jacks!” It’s almost like the manufacturers peruse these forums, get Texas Ace’s or koef3’s or maukka’s or whomever’s test results (that are done on a huge actively cooled heatsink) and multiply it by the number of emitters to come up with their numbers.

Take the DX80 for example. Yes there was a recall, but they got to have known they were shipping a defective product. It’s almost like taking a defective product, selling them as a way to raise money, then ship replacement parts afterwards. Not saying this was the case with the DX80, because things happen, but it makes you wonder if with more extensive testing, there would have not been as much a recall as there was.

I really like the crooked poker reference.

Seriously agree that there’s no need for the overstatement. This light might very well produce 70 000 lumens. Why not call it a 75 000 lumen light. LOL either way it’s still the KING

Kinda like: so I’ve built an oldschool muscle car dragster that has 1700 HP which is astonishing yet I decide to tell everyone it makes 2050 because I think it sounds better.

Here’s the deal: They could have used 24 XHP 70.2s, ran them at a more reasonable 12V and 2.4A, and produced 100k lumens rather “easily,” while using about 30-40% less power (less heat); AND have enough overhead for turbo.

DENGOH
DENGOH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 10/06/2012 - 05:26
Posts: 2157

With 24 leds it will be spec 130k lumens for turbo. Turbo means overdrive to max for these giant flashlight.

Thanks Martin for confirmation. Good to know user can topup battery conveniently.

cool i'll see you when you get there

pearlriver
pearlriver's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 06/30/2017 - 03:43
Posts: 55

poor quality

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12872
Location: Houston Texas

Did they drop it on a hard surface and it cracked?

It kinda looks like 2 pieces that are screwed and sealed together and maybe the screw threads got stripped.

Any more details?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

LouieAtienza
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2018 - 15:15
Posts: 593
Location: New York

JasonWW wrote:
Did they drop it on a hard surface and it cracked?

It kinda looks like 2 pieces that are screwed and sealed together and maybe the screw threads got stripped.

Any more details?

Or, possibly there wasn’t enough meat there behind the threads, causing a catastrophic failure when shocked by impact.

pearlriver
pearlriver's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 06/30/2017 - 03:43
Posts: 55

sorry,I don’t haven’t seen the original posts, maybe it has been deleted for some reason.

59
59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2018 - 09:55
Posts: 13
Location: China

Translation:“Broken off,I find that the 2 pieces stick together.What the hell is the design.”

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12872
Location: Houston Texas

pearlriver wrote:

poor quality

This does not look like the new model, it looks like the older R90C (pictured below).


.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4338
Location: US

Martin’s new video says the MS18 uses heatpipes. Is that true. Looks more and more impressive.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12872
Location: Houston Texas

Heat pipes only tend to work well at very high temperatures and are usually a last resort when you can’t get a cooling fan close enough to the heat source. I think it would be very strange if they were actually using heat pipes. Then again, I have no idea what’s going on inside of the MS18 other than it seems to have a single radial fan about 30 or 40 millimeters in diameter. Who knows, maybe it has multiple fans inside.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

JamesB
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 08/24/2011 - 14:43
Posts: 1014
Location: France

It looks like the body and head are only glued together. Flat Stare

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12872
Location: Houston Texas

JamesB wrote:
It looks like the body and head are only glued together. Flat Stare

Those are Allen head screws right above each button. They are hanging down and might have a coating of glue on them.

Locks picture.


.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

JamesB
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 08/24/2011 - 14:43
Posts: 1014
Location: France
JasonWW wrote:
JamesB wrote:
It looks like the body and head are only glued together. Flat Stare
I’m pretty sure those are screws right above each button. They are hanging down and might have a coating of glue on them.

I think you are right i didn’t see the screws.

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1394
Location: France
JamesB wrote:
It looks like the body and head are only glued together. Flat Stare

Not glued only, there is definitely screws hanging loose on the picture :

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 3100
Location: Sweden

looks like a very poor job put together that light ?

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12872
Location: Houston Texas

mortuus wrote:
looks like a very poor job put together that light ?

No, not really. The construction looks fine.

The question is did it break or did someone just take it apart.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 3100
Location: Sweden

JasonWW wrote:
mortuus wrote:
looks like a very poor job put together that light ?

No, not really. The construction looks fine.

The question is did it break or did someone just take it apart.

really ? never seen a light that big so broken before, it looks like it just snapped, either way it shouldnt be a 2 part head since it weighs some it should be supported better then somehow. a few dents and crack if u drop it is no big deal but looking that picture it looks bad imo..

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

nokoff
nokoff's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2013 - 20:26
Posts: 344
Location: East Coast USA
59 wrote:
Translation:“Broken off,I find that the 2 pieces stick together.What the hell is the design.”

Thanks for the translation 59. The R90C has nothing to do with this thread, but to answer his question, the head of the R90C has a small allen screw above each lantern, probably for servicing and ease of assembly; you can see in his photo that each screw is hanging down onto the two lanterns (which read R90C). You can’t tell if they were stripped or broken from the presumed long drop, but if the torch still works, they should replace those allen screws.

Nokoff..still Made in China 山寨主義

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12872
Location: Houston Texas

mortuus wrote:

it shouldn’t be a 2 part head since it weighs some. It should be supported better then, somehow.

Imalent seems to be using the same basic head design for both the MS12 and R90C (with the MS12 having more air slots). The MS12 has to be a two piece design in order to get the fan inside.

We should not assume what the situation is concerning that picture. One person might have taken their R90C apart and posted a picture and another person might have seen the picture and freaked out thinking it’s broke. Who knows.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

LouieAtienza
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/17/2018 - 15:15
Posts: 593
Location: New York
nokoff wrote:
59 wrote:
Translation:“Broken off,I find that the 2 pieces stick together.What the hell is the design.”

Thanks for the translation 59. The R90C has nothing to do with this thread, but to answer his question, the head of the R90C has a small allen screw above each lantern, probably for servicing and ease of assembly; you can see in his photo that each screw is hanging down onto the two lanterns (which read R90C). You can’t tell if they were stripped or broken from the presumed long drop, but if the torch still works, they should replace those allen screws.

It would be highly unlikely for the threads to strip since they’re an order of magnitude harder than the aluminum they’re threaded to. It just appears snapped because the screws are counterbored into the head.

Pages