FireFoxes 4 HID, [originally a GB thread], ($230., shipped via DHL), ($205 via Singpost) w/ beamshot links in OP

Bill is on his way to the post office to get the first batch of FF4s. Barring any unforeseen hitches, shipping to individual buyers will start tomorrow.

And yours should be the first one out the door!! Bet you can’t wait. Don’ forget to charge at least 2 sets of batteries :wink:

I have a set of NCR-PDs and NCR-Bs, storage-charged as of yet.

With the FF3 tore open the packing, reached for the batteries I had for it, then realised that I had not charged them, was not a happy bunny waiting for them to charge up.

Which brings us a to good point re recommended batteries to run in this light.
Can anyone advise the best type to buy?

Although I have not tried both cells yet (NCR-B 3400 and NCR-PD 2900) in the FF4, I have tried both cells discharge tested in my iCharger 106B+, the PD does not sag as low as the B when given a continous discharge load current of a low 1 amp. If I have time these coming days I will give both cells a discharge load of 5A, maybe up to 7A (max of my hobby charger). In a hobby charger the starting voltage is shown in its digital display, and when a load is connected the starting voltage reading of that cell will display as to how low it has reacted to the load programmed on the charger.
How much will the voltage sag affect the light output of an HID, I don’t know for I have not owned one yet. Maybe HID owners can chime in.

The Panasonic NCR18650PD is the recommended battery.

I will be trying the NCR18650B and Sanyo 2600 blue tops, both should work, as should the 3100As but may have to give in and get another fresh set of ’PDs. Depends what happens when the light is actually used. But for me worth the experiment in any case.

Bill has informed me that some shippers of the FF4s are requiring him to write the phone number of the consignee. For those who had not done so, please email him yours so he can ship your package asap.

I just got a email notification from paypal giving me tracking info, looks like bill sent it out.

Another batch of 10 units of FF4 arriving tomorrow.

Is there any protected 18650 that I can use with this FF4 (I’ve just order one from Bill)
Or is NCR18650PD the one to use

I’m not aware of any ‘protected’ high-current cell like the NCR-PD so far. IMO a high-current cell is recommended for best results though. I not sure if this FF4 can accomodate an almost 70mm protected cell without cutting the spring, as in the FF3.

I think they did extend the battery carrier to accept longer cells. The best protected cells would be Panasonic 3400mah (NCR18650B I think) cells with high quality PCB for lowest resistance, i.e. keeppower/redilast/kalliescustoms/orbtronic etc. Keeppower are probably cheapest.

The FF4 does have low voltage protection built in though anyway so protected cells aren’t a must unless you have a dodgy charger.

Nice info- thanks.

Since I asked Bill extra EA4 switch rubber boots and they were available only today, my FF4 should must have started its day 1 voyage only today.

Not according to Lips. It has the same carrier as the FF3.

When Xmint will have his FF4, he will surely find out since he also has the FF3.

I got the Xtar WP6 and VP1 and also NitecoreI4 II, so no problem for me.
I go for the NCR-PD

Sorry, it looks like I was wrong: FireFox IV we have lift off (Pic heavy)

I’m sure I read it somewhere though…

Well guys, the third batch of FF4s has arrived at doingoutdoor. Still at $210, plus shipping.

Bill would like to call the attention of Mr. Philipp Roth-r, one of his customers who bought an FF4. DHL is saying that his FF4 has arrived, but he cannot be contacted.
If you read this message Mr. Roth-r, please contact your local DHL office asap. Thanks