Review: Opus BT-C3100 ("dreamcharger!")

I know, but this charger takes very long time. I have recorded 39 curves and has just started on 40 (A few of them will be left out of the review).

I am glad I got a new test setup ready, just before I received the charger or I would have been very pressed for test time.

The charger in the picture will probably be the next review, it was considerable faster to test and with two setup's I could do both at the same time.

DO NOT worry about it. Typically, it takes a month or longer to get a group buy sorted out with all of the fine details. It takes time to communicate back and forth with an overseas company and negotiations will take time as well. Everyone, just please be calm and take it slow. I have to watch myself about patience, but it will take some time to set it up correctly and do it right, if it comes out of testing with positive results.

HJK, thank you for the fact that you do any of this testing to begin with. You have done more for this forum than most of us ever dreamed of, so don't rush to keep up with the "I need it yesterday" attitude we have sometimes. It's not the proper attitude.

I have not seen this yet but at a guess, it’s drawing too much current?

Ahhhhhh, very nice, i was looking at the xtar sp1 the other day.
But i have to say though, take your Own time mate and don’t rush those great test reviews, they are Extreamly! helpful with the extensive testing you do to save us all from batteries being destroyed sooner than they’d naturaly expire.

Yes, a bit:

The current limit in the chart is done with my own power supply, not the one supplied with the charger.

That’s not good. :frowning: Thanks for the chart.

So, there could be a problem with supplied power supply when charging 4 empty high capacity lithium cells!

An Opus vendor just let me know that the production version isn't finalized yet, and it'll be a few months before we can buy those.

That is probably a good thing. There is definitely room for improvement.

OPUS, if you are reading, here are my suggestions for a finalized model, that I hope will not inflate the cost too much:

• Please fix the power supply issue raised by HKJ.
  • Consider adding 100mA option for smaller cells, and for capacity testing of cheap cells with voltage sag affecting termination voltage.
  • Add a hardware switch on the back panel so the user has the choice to disable the fan. Even better, if one could holding down a button during power-up to turn it off.
  • Consider fitting the slider underside for the termination current switch on PCB.
  • Consider including some way to indicate that an operation has completed, perhaps by adding a single LED per bay (see XTAR VP2), or by flashing the backlight (more elegant component wise but not slot specific)
  • Provide user option to keep backlight on (e.g. hold Display button for a few seconds to keep it on indefinitely. Then it could be turned off automatically to indicate an operation has completed)

Hmmm, if it isn’t finalized, widening the moulding in those two side bays even more to allow 32650 charging would probably convince me to buy one, along with fixing the power supply problem of course.

Well, as long as they work those kinks out and make it right, I can wait for that group buy :D!

old lumens, I think you are getting me wrong by quoting me+ HKJ to imply that I was being impatient. It was just a friendly post of mine and I acknowledge that HKJ does not have to do what he does.
I hope I didnot sound like a spoilt kid waiting on his candy or something on the post you quoted.

Well, yes I did, or I wouldn’t have quoted it, but it’s the internet, we take things wrong all the time. That’s the price for indirect interaction. No worries on my end. Looks like the charger is a no go for quite a while anyhow, with the issues raised.

I will forget any group buys, since by the time things get worked out, I won't be interested any more.

HKJ: your current loading figure doesn’t make sense to me: loading at 9A, there is no voltage drop. While loading is dropped to 3A, voltage dropped to 8v. Why? can you explain? Can this be your power supply problem?

You are not reading the curve correct. The power supply has some reaction time, before it drops the current and thus the voltage.

If I had used the supplied power supply the current would have dropped much sooner and I doubt you would have seen the 9A peak (I do not have connectors/cables to make this connection).

Note: My power supply was not overloaded, it can deliver 50A, only the adjustable current limiter was active.

!C:\Users\lenovo\Desktop\QQ图片2014021311!

This looks like the exact charger I’ve been looking for my Li-ion cells, hopefully the issues will be worked out before production.

+1. Please ask them to widen the bays to accept these cells. The new Trustfire 32650’s are amazing.

It looks like my old BC700 but for 18650. Under $40 for one count me in.

• Joe

In item #4 are you referring to the switch that goes between different voltage ranges for different battery chemistries ? That switch should be on the outside of the box. The fan should be reversible so you can put batteries in the charger and point the fan at yourself to cool off. I love a nice breeze on a hot day.