Mod: Small Sun ZY-T08 MT-G2 (without cells in series conversion)

I got inspired by relic38’s MT-G2 mod of the ZY-T08 (Mod: Small Sun ZY-T08 Emitter Upgrade - MT-G2. Now you can call it a Small Sun) and decided to do it myself, so I ordered one. But when it showed up I was a little disappointed in myself for not reading the specs. This light is a lot bigger than I thought it was, way to big for a light with a tail switch only, so I didn’t deem it worthy of a MT-G2 and certainly not worth going through the hassle of converting it to a 2S cell configuration. So, without having turned it on once, in the drawer it went, and there it stayed for quite some time collecting dust… until I read this thread: Mini DQG 26650 MT-G2

A single cell boost driver with an E-switch that can fire up a MT-G2 sounded interesting, no need to convert the ZY-T08 to 2S and it could be ordered separately, so I pulled the trigger and ordered it. It showed up yesterday so I got to work. I stripped the orginal ZY-T08 driver of everything to use it as a contact plate and did a proof of concept test:

It worked, so I drilled an additional hole in the pill for the E-switch cables, filed out a slot in the pill, drilled a hole in the host and pulled out the cables. I replaced the E-switch cables with 22AWG silicon wires to avoid having them melt.

Then I put it together. The 20mm MCPCB was a hassle to center, but I got it running:

I just taped the E-switch to the host, just to try out the light and see if the light is worth working on further:

The output is not so high on highest, but the light is nicer with a side switch, and it has the off switch on the tail to truly turn it off. The new driver is stock (besides being filed down to fit inside the pill), so I’m going to have a go at resistor modding it, but I won’t open it up again until I have a MT-G2 on a 25mm MCPCB for it so centering is much easier.

I don’t know how I’m going to solve the E-switch though. As it is now it is easy to unsolder and get the wires out so the pill unscrews. When I make a more permanent E-switch installation I still have to be able to get the cables out in case I have to unscrew the pill again. I’m considering a bigger hole in the host and have some sort of releasable connection that will fit through the hole… I’m open to suggestions though.

Sweet mod Mike. With the e switch is there enough thickness to do a similar setup to your M6. Have a stepped hole for the e switch to sit on, rubber boot and then a round piece of plastic or nylon with a hole in the centre shaped to press fit into the hole?

Cool!

Ill be paying attention to your mod threads Mike C. Im liking the creativity.

Good luck on the E-switch.

That could work if I can detach the cables from the E-switch from the inside (if I use the existing hole) or file out a line to run the wires from a new stepped switch hole to the wire hole. The wires have to go through where they do now as the pill is rather big with a lot of threading on the outside of it. I can live with unsoldering the E-switch because if I’m taking the pill out I’m probably going to be soldering something anyway. I just need to find a switch that will fit nicely. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks! Think I can make it work. I’ve got time to ponder on it at least, it’ll take a while before the 25mm MT-G2 shows up.