GB BLF LuckySun D80-SE Need long tubes? -3/3/16

Second pic seems to show way more detail.

Well its “auto” setting on my Note 4, whatever that may be :stuck_out_tongue: And yes this is max/turbo on the A6 and even though its not max on the TRJ-12 its not fair at all to the A6. As for the output, the point really is to be able to hike almost like sunset light if I want to :wink: I don’t always use those outputs, figured it would give more color/detail that way since I didn’t have time to mess with settings etc, just a fast phone pic to give the general idea of the appearance of color on the trail, I think it does an OK job at that. Maybe if I have more time later I’ll do some better pictures, just figured this gives an idea of the 5B-ish light outside and is better than nothing.

Wow you can really see what dedoming does it seems! Or was the camera just trying to adjust to the light?

can you please add 1 more 3c

thanks

Sized to see would be helpful…

This is simply copying the url to your pic and using 35% for viewsize here in the forum. Clicking on it will open it in a new window and show it full size if desired.

Auto settings make a 60 lumen light and a 300 lumen light look the same as far as exposure goes. Can’t tell anything that way. The camera software is also adjusting color to what it see’s fit, also can’t tell much that way either. Sorry, but camera’s in a phone are just a horrible way to show flashlight beam shots without some extensive measures being taken. Very misleading.

It would also be nice to know what relative focal length that is taken at, the metadata has been stripped from the image. Aperture and focal length go a long way to present apparent field of view and are helpful to gauge the comparative beam profile. For example, are we seeing 20 yds of trail? 80 yds? What are we looking at there? How wide is the trail? I’m going to assume the trail is about 10’ wide and the view over the rise is about 20-25 yds? So there’s not really a hot spot, per se, and the output is a nice even flood of light that will comfortably reach 30 yds or so? Are you using DC Fix on the lens or anything, or is the de-domed emitter set up to try and get more throw? Still using the orange peel reflector? From the looks of that light, I presume yes.

Details, we need details man! lol (I find myself trying to fill in the blanks and not having enough information to do so…) Sorry, not meaning to grill ya just want to know, ya know?

Glad I did not post a pic… :smiley:

Well, I know its not great, and in general can be misleading, but visually judging it myself it appeared pretty accurate, and its all I had the time and patience to do :stuck_out_tongue: The color isn’t really adjusted much here in this photo. Its maybe a 15 foot wide path, and extends quite far maybe 40 yards for what you can see, if you look at the A6 picture, it’s light ends sooner and you cannot see the leaves in the distance of more trees as the trail drops down as you can in this photo. You can see further in the distance in reality, and the trail actually extends a football field and a half or so length further, I took this picture purposefully to show more of the flood and distance combo this light has and also to not show the hotspot on purpose: if I had had the hotspot focused on something, the camera would adjust down, and then be very misleading when comparing the A6 photo. This light is an awesome sunset-like light with good flood and good throw combined, max lumens is about 4,900 lumens (not measured by me), probably about 2,500 lumens on that pic though (not as sure of this), no orange peel reflector, standard Trustfire J12 reflector, just replaced dedomed 5B1s with an upgraded driver. Its actually the same light as on the 4 light ceiling pic I also posted earlier, just up one mode (about 100% more light).

Maybe its not impressive compared to the ones you make that can make almost that many lumens too, but I like it for its heft, length of runtime with 3x26650s, and combo of throw and flood, and of course, the sunset tint color :slight_smile: Anyways, I was trying to show here that the green of the trees is brought out more “accurately” by the dedomed 5B than the A6 5A tint, maybe I can contrast the 3D and CW next if you don’t get too upset about my crappy phone photography if I post more :wink: :slight_smile: I also have the disadvantage of trying to hold onto a large dog’s leash while holding the light in one hand and the phone in the other hand, so yeah, I know the pics aren’t ever going to be great this way…but I’m very busy really and don’t have time for a photo walk AND a dogwalk.

Hey krono, would you mind switching one of mine to a 5B? Thanks!!

just trying to see the pic for what it is, so I can see the light better for what IT is.

The Trustfire J12 looks to be a pretty neat light, gotta be a lot more difficult to wield while dog walking and snapping photo’s than the diminutive A6 though. :wink: lol Nice club should any of Lil Red Ridin Hoods less popular friends show up in the beam…

The J12 is manufacture rated for 4500 lumens, so it’s not likely to actually do that out the front even with it’s stock XM-L T6 emitters. De-doming emitters causes losses, so your 5 de-domed 5B’s are making considerably less total output than they could be. Not to be selling anybody short or anything, it’s just not likely that there’s 4500 OTF on that light.

My Ti X6 tests out at 4278 in the lightbox and doesn’t really seem like it outside. The beam profile is wide and lights up a very large area so there’s not a “hot spot” to convince the eye there’s that kind of lumens. It’s quad Nichia’s at 83 CRI make for a really nice coverage of light though.

I have others with less lumens but more hotspot that trick the eye into appearing brighter. And a 96 CRI SR-90 that does over 5000, football field sized illumination area. Triple MT-G2 in the 9V variants that does 10,000 lumens and it’s just a stupid amount of light, that beautiful creamy white the MT-G2 is known for. Not sure which I like best, the High CRI XHP-70 or the 9V MT-G2 triple. Both really make a splendid tint and the output is wonderful as well. And it’s likely that they come close to your 5B before the de-doming. So I can appreciate where you’re coming from on that, even if it’s not normally my cup of tea.

DB,

Are the 9V MT-G2s okay with 3x 3.7V batteries? And would they be okay with 3x 3V A123 batteries?

Sorry ’bout drifting so far off-topic.

!http://i.imgur.com/rSvIsee.jpg !

NP, its an upgraded FET driver, and the 4900 is measured real lumens after losses by someone who has an integrating sphere, this is all after XML2 replacement of the stock XMLs, with noctigons, heavier wire along with the FET driver and 3 KingKong 26650s powering it to support the high draw :slight_smile: It cant be left on turbo for very long, it gets ALOT hotter than the A6 on turbo fast. Stock the J12 did maybe… 2000 lumens? But yes it says 4500 lumens on it, satisfying to have it upgraded to actually do it :smiley: The “backup club” factor is also a very nice bonus, I can hold dog leashes in the same hand as my light with less problems than an A6 actually, but aimed and held still for a photo while aiming the phone camera with the other hand, is much more difficult than keeping it in the general direction I want walking with dogs pulling.

Like you are saying above beam pattern matters a lot, it floods but at the same time has a nice hotspot and throw that visually seems to match a C8. I can train it on something about a football field away and light up everything in between adequately, its impressive. Even stock the J12 seemed brighter than say an upgraded SRK because of beam pattern. My upgraded J18 isn’t quite as throwy, though its also now almost exactly on the stated 8,000 lumens after upgrades :slight_smile: Even though the J18 does a lot more lumens, I always use the J12 for its tint and slightly more throwy beam pattern.

Please put me down for a 5B as well. This way I can choose which tint I like and gift the other. I’m sure the recipient will not even notice the tint and be amazed by the output compared their Maglite.

Side note:

I think it’s interesting how advanced this forum has become with it’s resources compared to the typical retail market. I just had a friend stop over and play with my Convoy S2 and then ask me if it was a Coast. Because according to him they make some super bright flashlights. And by his logic, nothing is brighter than his 5 yr old Surefire. Haha. Where do you even start the explanation?

i’m interested, 1flashlight in 3c color tint
is the price 20$?
how much is the throw, please?

Where do you even start the explanation?

Rite here.

Heads up!

LuckySun is having a hard time tracking down 5B emitters and might have to switch to 5A. We are trying to find a source for 5Bs, but so far, no luck.

kronos
(updated in OP)

+1000 for the switch to 5A - even way better! :bigsmile:

I actually like the rosy of 5A. :-)

Do you have any idea of CRI, we used to get 80CRI emitters in this tint from IOS, how will it be in this light? (I actually have no CRI preference for the D80 btw.)

A 5A tint would be fine with me as well. I really like it.

Changing to 5A will be fine with me, cause I’m not buying that tint anyway! :stuck_out_tongue: Just as long as you don’t change the 1A to 5A!