Quad XM-L2 in a 2C mag mad, err... mod

In the general way of things I find myself being a big fan of stuffing large things into small places. When applied to flashlight modding and life in general,this can become an exercise in frustration resulting in angst, destruction, and unanticipated cash expenditure. When I got a 2C incan mag for Christmas and began measuring the space I had to deal with it became obvious that my plan could work and rather easily at that. I should have known better. The plan was to stuff these:

into this:

and power these victims:

With this:

Pretty simple conceptually, more difficult in execution. We begin with a 3/8" chunk of 1.875" aluminum rod shortened to 0.25" thick and narrowed to form a tight press fit when wrapped with 0.012" copper sheet. Drill a center hole and we have a functional heatsink.

We need to increase the ID of the mag head by around 1.5mm to accommodate the overly ambitious reflector selection. Mark with the heatsink installed and gut the head with a dremel tool.

Test fit for width and height. Perfect. Yup,that's two each smooth and OP reflectors for convoy S2. The lens is the 50mm AR coated from KD.

Affix victims with thermal epoxy and wire in 2S2P configuration. The low profile copper strips are needed to clear the bottom of the reflectors.

I was hoping for about 8 amps at the tail with this config so the switch need modding to keep all that current away from the mechanical bits. A wire run from positive battery contact,through a drilled hole and direct to led positive does the trick. Driver negative runs from the negative switch contact to the ground leg of the driver FET. A wire from switch positive to driver positive provides power to the MCU for switching and regulation.

A quick shot of a modified torx tool needed to play with modern mag switches. Looks like the light engine is ready for testing.

Testing proceeded as hoped outside of the mag host. Four modes with a nice moonish mode. The driver kit from Mountain Electronics worked great. I put the light engine and switch into the host, installed the reflectors with what seemed to be appropriate insulation and began by testing tail amps. 10.5 amps of crappy laptop pulls! Then a big spark. Then nothing. A tear down revealed 3 dead emitters and a very pissed off modder. OK my fault. An obvious short under the reflectors. Install three new emitters, alter the reflectors, check for continuity errors and test. Only killed one emitter this time! Happened to be the one that didn't die in the last massacre. OK probably weak from abuse. Excited by such progress, I promptly exchanged the emitter, added some more kapton tape and tested. Killed another one, on the other series chain from the last one.

A consultation thread generated some discussion and inspired by some of Wight's excellent art I altered my wiring by bridging the two copper straps on the far sides of the led configuration. The theory was that a vF imbalance was causing one emitter in the series chain to draw more amps than it's neighbor. Perhaps lethal amps given the recent testing suggesting newer Xm-L2s can't be pushed as hard as the old. The wire bridge is supposed to minimize the negative effects of vF imbalance by...balancing stuff. On the off chance the wiring was still shorting on the reflectors I filed the lip off the underside outer edge of the reflectors and filed down any and all tall spots in the wiring. Then I rather thoroughly insulated everything in sight.

Testing while fully installed revealed full function. It is worth mentioning that while the 2C mag was never meant to accommodate two 18650s in series there is a long history of modders making it happen, particularly for hotwire mods. Simply moving the switch forward by a few millimeters, de-anodizing the tail cap,and installing a low profile spring gives all the space needed for 2S unprotected 18650s to fit. Button top cells probably require a thin conductive spacer at the tailcap/body joint. The solder joint at battery positive needs to be low profile. A small spring can be held in place with a 20mm XM-L insulation gasket.

Finished at last.

Moonlight mode

High mode drawing 8 amps at the tail off Sanyo pink top tool pack pulls. It's 60 yards to the sugar camp. Up close the beam is butter smooth with a very intense hot spot. I'm guessing it puts out 4000-4500 lumens of very nice 3C tint.

That's all until next time.

Brian

Nice build and write up. Love reading about mag mods.

She's a real beauty, Brian! Awesome job!!

wow… really nice mod!

Regarding the C switch positive mod……

So, I can see you wired the + wire from Driver directly to the bottom of the switch + vs. normally putting on center tab. Is this correct?

Thank you,
bigC

Not only are you a great modder, you have figured out how to use the advanced text editor. :smiley:
Congrats on both!

BTW, isn’t even MORE satisfying after you overcome problems in a build? I certainly appreciate your extra efforts and success.

Nice job stuffing it all in there. That must have been a lot of work reaming out the head with a dremel.

Great job , sir .

No, but I can see how it might look like that. Have a look at the photo below.

The red wire on the right is soldered to the bottom of the switch (battery side) and runs through the hole drilled in the switch and directly to led positive, bypassing the driver completely.

The red wire on the left comes off the top center of the switch (switch positive) and connects to the center of the bottom side of the driver (driver positive).

The black wire below (from switch negative) connects to the negative leg of the FET or any other place on the ground ring.

The led negative wire connects to the back of the FET like usual.

All done wiring!

Hope that clarifies things.

Nice mod and glad the led problems sorted. Whats the diameter of the S2 reflector?

nice!

thanks for sharing :beer:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will have to copy your mod on my FED DD builds too.

I do have some 2C Mags that are direct drive with no driver at all. So, in this case do you still use 2 wires for the positive?

Thank you,
bigC

The reflectors are listed as 20mm in diameter.

Hi BigC,

This mod will not work on a driverless flashlight as there is no driver to interrupt the circuit in place of the switch.

B

Very cool! Glad you got it up and running. Another tempting mod.

Very nice!

Thank you gentlemen for all your kind words and support. A build like this can occasionally go off without a hitch but I believe we end up learning more when things go wrong. With any luck we can pass some of that along to the modding community. Killing $30 in emitters is probably a small price to pay for the lessons learned. Can't wait for the next build!

Brian

Congratulations very good mod! thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Great job!
Including moonlight mode is a nice touch. I didn’t think 2x18650 in 2C Mag was possible.

What’s next in your list?
A 4 emitter (White, Red, Blue, Green) Mag
Or perhaps a 3C Mag with Twin Mtg2s
Or how about a 2AAA Mag running a single XML 4 color emittor (W RGB)
or a cut down 2AAA Mag with a Nichia 219 with a 4 mode driver.

?? :slight_smile:

Kodachrome, your words are kind as always. Of that list, the micro AAA mag seems like the most interesting option. Truth be told I'm not really sure what the utility of a WRGB flashlight is. I know there are folks that specialize in these lights but I really just don't get it. I'm sure Cereal_Killer will be along shortly to elucidate. My current big project is another quad with S2 reflectors, but different.