Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Gee, thanks. Enabler!

This is really going into a very nice direction :+1:

I’d also prefer the 3D tint.

I’ll probably dedome for extra throw (good point Texas-ace).
Wonder what the tint will be like… Or reflow XPL-HI 4D’s on it if the tint turns out to be hideous after dedome :confounded:

Oh cr@p

V6 3D

Sorry for confusion

That’s a good point about de-doming.
Do de-domes still tint-shift the way they used to? Maybe if the light were purchsed specifically for de-doming, 3x tints wouldn’t end up where they started off?
The recent BLF Maxtoch Shooter 2x came FACTORY de-domed (that’s a first to me). I can’t remember what tint they chose, but it may be good to review. Maxtoch never revealed how they were doing the de-domes.
Then again, I kind of like the idea of major flood (why else would I be interested?), so I’d probably like it either way. (That would make an amazing Mule.)
I could even run it with no reflector… for a true, even flood (would have some odd shadows at the edges).

Somehow I have missed this thread.

I need to be in on this one. It is a good deal and looks like if it makes the specs, will be a great light.

IN for one please 3D if not then still in.

TomE was so kind to set me up with parts for a Q8 v3 driver. The intent was to put the driver through its paces and to verify proper electrical operation.

The Q8 driver is basically a FET+1 driver (direct drive with the addition of one 7135 chip for regulated low modes). The basic design is the same as other BLF DD drivers. We did try to improve the design somewhat, notably by cleaning up the power feed to the MCU chip (proper decoupling layout) and switching the FET ‘softer’. This was to mitigate instability seen with this design in high-power applications, particularly when using the more temperamental tiny25/85 MCUs.

The driver did prove to be electrically stable in TomE’s tests, but what I saw on the oscilloscope was still less than ideal. The good news is there is a very simple solution and after this small addition I think we are ready for production. I will post more information on this solution in the attiny25/45/85 thread for those interested.

I used this setup for the driver tests:

The emitters are three XM-L2 U2s with a lone XP-L from a Manker A6. The cells are four 30Q’s (frequently recharged!). The wiring is mostly AWG 14. The setup gets 15.5 A on a set of fresh cells.

This animation gives a conclusion of all the testing (and double-checking in SPICE) that was done:

The traces show voltages in various parts of the circuit. The PWM duty-cycle is at around 30% here (so about 30% light output in theory). The PWM frequency is at 15.6 kHz, as set in the firmware of the MCU. The LEDs are powered when the power transistor is on. This is where the purple trace is at zero (0 V is at the first division from the bottom for all traces). Pay attention to the yellow trace. That is the voltage present at pin 8 of the MCU. The improvement is remarkable in the second image of the animation. These MCUs are rated for 6 V absolute maximum, and prior to the modification we are right there when the cells are fresh. The added resistor isolates the main capacitor of the driver from the power part of the driver, breaking the resonant ringing and resulting voltage boosting we see in the first image. This ringing was occurring every time the LEDs are turned off, at the end of each PWM cycle. In hindsight the solution was fairly obvious but I think it is valuable one, applicable to all DD drivers, brought along by the Q8 project for the benefit of BLF.

EDIT: Took out the scaling on the animation to clear up the text.

This is an awesome break-through. I think it's gonna take some time to settle, but we'll see.

Wow DEL. Those lines remind me of the machine that goes beep. :slight_smile:
Thanks for all the work.

This is awesome!
Thanks for these tests and oscilloscope images!

As I wrote in the PMs, never thought these little electrical components could be so exciting.
Seeing all this work is more thrilling then the best of movies!

so Q8 use 3D? same as on BLF A6? i love my A6 3D tint :heart_eyes:

I hope this project eventually settle into one nice light…just give me hoot and where to buy, one for me.

Count me in for one (maybe two).

Ok, put me down for one. Guess I’ll have to try an 18650 light sometime. Really like my tn4a though.

We're gonna aim for the 3D, not sure how definite, request or demand, etc.

One for me!

Thanks & Regards,
Sami

Put me down for one, too, please. 3D, mmmmmm! :LOVE:

Nice will update the OP later
Kind of busy, not forgotten :wink:

1. Anybody knows reflector dimentions?
2. What is final pcb shelf thickness?

1 the Q8 should fit regular srk reflectors and all mine are about the same size and interchangeable.
2 not yet clear. Thorfire mysteriously asked for amps in their last email, we provided it and link to DELs post about the driver. When things get finalized we share it of course!

just joined for this. previously found you guys and the A6, and it’s my favorite!
must…have…one.