Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

I bought a bunch of his 16 mm 4040 boards, but wish I could get 20 mm's as well.

For me to handle US supply would be overwhelming I suspect - just don't have the time.

Supposedly the 20mm are in the works. I do not know ETA.
And 16mm are back in stock. still out of stock

Another call for someone to start an interest list for the 4040/5050 board that Texas Ace has designed!
(I am really not good in updating lists all the time.)

Since TheOnlyDocc has not been seen in six weeks (I hope he is ok) the interest list can not be kept in the OP, so a separate thread may have to be started for this.

All the information on which people can make their decision to join the list can be found in the last two pages of this thread.

An interest list is really needed at this point because a good number of boards spoken for may convince Neal or Banggood (or me) to go on with the project.

Just trying to catch up here. Have you asked Lexel? He already builds/sells T_A drivers. His threads have great visibility. He’s already sold dozens of drivers. Maybe he would be interested in helping to sell these MCPCBs as well? Even if he is unable to help with distribution, maybe he can still help out with a “Sale” thread.

What is needed now is starting and maintaining the interest list, all the information is there now. If we do not have a rough indication that 100+ boards are going to be sold it is no use going on with ordering these.

Is the intention here just to sell the empty PCB or to offer it with leds?

I would be interested in a complete board because it makes for an easy swap and I’ve never done a reflow before.

+1

Anyone ask Richard?

Soooo, all interesting ideas, but not what is needed right now. List? Someone?

I can put together the list. I’ll post something later today.

Thanks! You could include TA’s drawing of the 4040/5050 Q8 board, that the manufacturer will be Kerui, the possible selling price of 5/6 dollar plus a few dollars shipping (total likely well under 10), and that the distribution may be via Neal or Banggood, or else by BLF-members themselves. And refer to this thread of course.

Perhaps add that this board will not have screwholes and thus relies on being pressed down by the reflector/bezel which is expected to be sufficient.

Interest list has been posted.

One thing to keep in mind for purchasers of these MCPCB is isolating rings. None of my rings fit the smaller emitter hole opening of the Q8 when I converted over the the Luxeon V. Obviously, the V emitters were too small for the isolating rings as well.As a result, they don't fit will and look hodge podge.

I imagine XML's and SST40 emitters will probably have the same issue.

I cut out the openings in my original Q8’s reflector cups such that they fit around the SST-40 substrate, with some clearance. Didn’t use centering rings but did cover the base of the reflector with Kapton tape and cut the opening about 1mm smaller than the actual opening in the cup, this allows the substrate to fold the Kapton tape into the hole and be protected from a short.

As for looking hodge podge, if I click the switch into turbo while you’re looking at it you surely won’t notice any discrepencies. (not for a while anyway!) :wink:

^

Ha! That would definitely do the job, but I doubt your mod looks hodge podge.

Just to make sure I follow correctly, the emitter holes in the reflector itself had to be widened some for the SST40?

Count me in for one

I think you cant ask producing centering ring until someone will test sst40 in Q8 with different custom rings to choose right height.

I simply adapted an existing centering ring to the Luxeon V using a reamer, every flashlight modder should have one, they cost just a couple of dollars at banggood/gearbest/fasttech.

Yes, I had to open the reflector aperture to clear the SST-40. I have the reflector sitting down onto the SinkPAD used for the SST-40. Beam profile is still a nice fat hot spot with very useful spill. 11,247 lumens out the front on 4 Sony VTC5A cells that have a copper button soldered on.

I would like this quad board to make it simpler to modify a light with the SST-40 so I can do one for my Son-in-Law much easier than the one I already built with individual SinkPADs.

^

OK. Good to know that. Thank you.