Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

Ah, didn’t knew the old mechanism was still coded in the sources :+1:

Lux-Perpetua, any talks about SP10R in development? really looking forward to that one!

in my opinion, the default UI should be safe for muggles, and should NOT be capable of causing burns

therefore, I vote against any changes that make Simple UI more dangerous for muggles…

Keep the Simple UI SAFE!

there is NO good reason to ruin the safety of Simple UI.

there are plenty of extra HOT options in Advanced UI…

I think you missed a “1C” (?) text on the line in advanced UI > Strobe Modes > Candle mode > Set Candle runtime. Overall very information-dense but still readable! Very nice you have the factory default values on there too (but I’m missing the default temperature and amount of steps). Some things I also miss is a bit more info about batt/temp-check, voltage calibration and some explanation for automatic/manual/hybrid mode (right now it seems to me like you can set those modes individually, but I’m thinking they are just “names” for a combination of settings?). But these are very minor things, overall very good job!

Looking forward to this on more compact lights (SC31 and the like).

And to easy Anduril 2.x upgrades through easily accessible pins, like on the Emisar.

Sorry, no information (even though I frequently asked). Actually, I get very little information lately. Maybe they changed their communication/disclosure policy, IDK.

Valid points. However, Sofirn does not want Simple UI to be restricted in output, mostly because they expect customers to complain about reduced output or unfulfilled expectations. Personally, I do not need any muggle modes or output-restricted flashlights. For one, small children and even the biggest fool are smart enough to circumvent/deactivate these limitations, sometimes just by blind luck clicking multiple times in a row. For second, if I ever came into a situation to lending someone a flashlight who is unexperienced with high-performance lights, I would rather give him/her something appropriate (Wurkkos FC11 or Sofirn SC31B) to be safe. Last but not least, it's impossible to please everyone. You can easily alter the factory default settings to your liking.

Merci. I must have missed that one. It's fixed now, see new chart below.

Agreed. The information density is (too) high already. That's why I refrained from putting even more of them into the chart. I have thought about writing a fully detailed text manual, based upon ToyKeepers text-file. To be honest, none of any manufacturers I asked were really interested in these things, so I waived that thought eventually.

Default temperature: I need to check with gchart. IIRC, the default was 45°C but maybe there were some changes in Andúril 2 that I did not become aware of.

Amount of steps: Same again, need to check. I think the default here was 5 steps?

I see, I prefer a cheat-sheet thing like this instead of a manual with text I need to read and can easily forget, so that’s why I like to have all of the info on there. I understand that it can be a bit too much though! Apart from a list of all of the default values (temp/steps/auto-lock, …) IMO everything seems to be there. I know how batt/temp-check works so it’s not that big of a deal that that’s missing. Same with voltage calibration, I suppose it’s almost the same like thermal calibration.

thanks for explaining

I think it is great that Sofirn is going to offer Anduril lights
and that the UI can be customized in so many ways

your flowchart is also very helpful

Im looking forward to the SP10S w Eneloop compatibility, and Anduril 2

I hope the lights will come with switches rated for ten million cycles! If you buy one, you’re going to sound like a woodpecker for the first couple of days.

Thanks Jonathan. I have been discussing the pros and cons with Sofirn of having a safe(r) Simple UI. They were really clear about this one thing.

I think the major downside (actually the only one I found so far) in Andúril 2 standard is the tricky usage of turbo/max ramp in the Advanced UI. It can only be used permanently by ramping up to ceiling and then doing a doubleclick. Anywhere below ceiling would not take you up to turbo/max ramp but only to ceiling. Some members here (e.g. Funtastic or The_Flashoholic) have complained about these things, too if I am not mistaken. I think this alteration of Andúril 2 will "fix" these shortcomings by using the classic Andúril 1 style.

With the introduction of more and more flashlights using regulated buck- or buck-boost + FET drivers I expect to find more obstacles in the Andúril (1 & 2) UI. Ceiling level should then be set to the maximum regulated level (e.g. 6A in those new FireFlies flashlights) while turbo/max ramp is meant for using the FET. So far, they managed to do this by having 149/150 for ceiling and the last increment will give a big kick to turbo/max ramp.

I think this whole Andúril 1 & 2 etc is becoming much too complicated for 99% of people who would want just to buy a decent flashlight.
All the various options will put off anyone except the ‘experts’ in this forum.
The normal response from an average buyer ‘It’s too complicated, all I just want is a good bright flashlight with 2 or 3 levels. All this flashing & ramping & tint changes & levels &
temp checks & battery levels & ceilings & turbo etc etc is just too hard’
& they go & buy a different simple flashlight.
If there is an *included *safe simple mode then why have all the never used options. Just market a simple one mode flashlight with 2 or 3 brightness levels.
It would appeal to a lot of buyers.

biscotti user here,… i love storm and candle mode on anduril flashlight :heart_eyes:

There’s a plethora of basic UI lights on the market for less advanced consumers. Even Sofirn has marketed a few. Although advanced UI’s may be of more interest to the collector/hobbiest ‘niche’ market, the variety of options seem to have an ever growing consumer market which likely includes folks whose experience may have been to limited to basic “on/off” or L/M/H interfaces. It adds another element of discovery to the experience of just owning an otherwise “plain Jane” flashlight. How deep a person chooses to go into the world of programmable/modifiable torches is as individual as choosing what kind of car to purchase. Everybody has different parameters for what they need/want out of a product. I love Anduril V1. My two favorite general purpose lights, Sofirn IF25A, and SC31 Pro run it, and have provided me with countless hours of calming preoccupation playing with the configurations. My only Anduril 2 light is the FWAA. My feeling about AN-2 thus far is on the doorstep of what you’ve expressed…getting to the point of being cumbersome and tedious. But it would not dissuade me from buying a light that appeals to me otherwise. YMMV.

Exactly. As much as I opine about the old old old original SC31 for The Muggle, that’s not gonna happen. “Enthusiasts” want a light that blinks out your current GPS coordinates to 7 decimal places, when The Muggle just wants A Flashlight.

That’s one reason of many why I like my EC50s, just a plain simple UI with no blinkies at all. A bit pricey for The Muggle, but it’s a great light.

And that’s why Mags and MiniMags will continue to exist. Simple pushbutton on/off, or twisty on/off. Just what Gramma wants in a light.

Sofirn ( and other companies) are in business to make & sell flashlights & make a profit. Having
Andúril 1 & 2 options with multiple tints etc may appeal to a lot of experts but Sofirn needs to sell their product to make money.
A simple rechargeable flashlight with maybe 2 or 3 brightness levels would appeal to a lot more people.
It may not pay them to have multiple versions that do not sell well. The average flashlight buyer does not care that the flashlight has a super low moonlight mode with a runtime of 250 days or a turbo mode that lights up the neighbourhood for 30 secs.
Sofirn has to offer what the majority of buyers want.

Boy, can’t wait for Andúril 3! :innocent:

If this is so, Sofirn should know by now and have rejected Andúril. Or not?

Yep. There are almost 125k members on r/flashlight and who knows how many here, (not to mention the other enthusiast forums out there). Lights with Andúril are extremely popular on both. It may still be a niche market, but also a fairly large and growing one. I think Sofirn knows what is selling for them.

For the record, that’s not my quote. See post #1475. :wink:

Yes. I’m sorry, this shouldn’t have happend :person_facepalming: .