Sofirn SP10 Pro (AA/14500/Andúril 2) - now available!

Received mine (green) yesterday. Color is more of a polished OD, almost identical in tone to my Astrolux EA02. Clip sucks…have removed it for now. I think @jasontheguitarist posted somewhere about shrink tubing the clip ears. Might try that. Have tried all cell chemistries in this (Inc. Li-ion primaries at 1.79V), and they all work well. Noted the ‘off-bug’ randomly during initial testing, but have been unable to replicate it since performing a factory reset and setting my ramp and turbo preferences. This is a good little ‘trainer’ light for Anduril II, and I’m really liking some of the upgraded features in this newer version. The ability to switch between smooth and stepped ramping in simple UI is a welcome upgrade, as well as choosing ramp speed and turbo preferences. And it truly does drop the ramp floor to more of a firefly mode. Good stuff (thanks TK, et al).
My only question/concern is about the driver installation. Am I correct that it appears to just be glued in place? How will that stand up over time?

Many lights have their drivers glued. It just works. Retainers otoh can come loose. Lexels noticed this couple of years ago.

I believe we have the lights-off bug squashed. I added a 4ms delay between disabling the PWM and disabling the boost regulator. TK added a similar delay when enabling regulators in certain lights. It just looks like the SP10 Pro needs one when turning the light off.

So far 3 people have flashed this new firmware: myself, our own SammysHP, and user thermal-runaway on reddit. We all could produce the bug before flashing it, and afterwards there have been no reports of the bug. If you have the equipment to flash with and would like to test this out for yourself, the file can be found here

Once we’ve had a chance to really put this through it’s paces, we’ll get an updated file over to Barry (Sofirn) for use in the next batch.

gchart and I had a little debugging session today to fix the turn-off-delay-and-flash bug.

Before: Notice the single pulse half a second after the light should have turned off. My sensor wasn’t able to capture the fading of the LED.

And here is the other case: “bright flash” (detail image)

gchart had already prepared a patch, let’s see how it looks after updating the firmware with that patch:

Now the output is switched off in a controlled manner. There’s still a weird single pulse, but it cannot be seen by eye. I’d call this fix successful!

Another interesting detail, but not a real issue: Sometimes the boost regulator for AA operation is a bit slow. But we’re talking about milliseconds, so nothing you can see.

Good work!

Hopefully Sofirn will start using the new code once you and/or TK are satisfied it has been tested well enough, although it sounds like a minor nuisance if they don’t.

Here is a runtime measurement for Li-ion and NiMH, both on turbo after thermal calibration.

Did you know the SP10 Pro is quite a talented musical instrument? Look how beautiful it sounds!

Just ignore the straight line, it comes from my phone. You can clearly see the different modes of operation: Low power channel, PFM section and PWM section. What is that shifting tone at turbo? And with AA you can see the boost regulator running (?) at minimum output and some harmonics in the PWM phase.
1 Thank

Nice visualisation! Kind of curious what it actually sounds like. So where can we listen to that symphony? :wink:

Good work collaborating to squash that bug.

Sounds like a bug that you slowly squeeze into a very flat shape.

I’ve just compiled the fixed sources and flashed it on 2 SP10-Pro’s. I can no longer reproduce the bug mentioned.
Thanks for the fix!

Great, thanks for confirming!

Looks good. I do something similar to all my side switch lights. One of the main benefits is your finger is easily drawn to the switch by feel lone. No more rolling the light looking for the switch. Another way is to make a wire ring out of heavy gauge wire, sand one side flat, then glue it on.

Received Sofirn SP10 PRO

First impressions
Works great on AA Eneloop. No issue w switching off, no flash, no step down dimming that I can see, just normal on, off. (update, I have now seen the step down dimming before off, it does not bother me… its a feature, not a bug… lol)

Im impressed that both the Voltage Meter and the Temperature Meter are accurately calibrated from the factory.

Very happy to see there is no double flash at midramp, something I hate about the FWAA. And I think the stock ramping speed is excellent without the double flash to dance around.

Very impressed with the advanced UI firefly low of 0.02 lumens, (simple UI is set to 0.2 low), and 280 lumen maximum on both simple and advanced UI, (on my homebrew meter). The light turns on at 8 lumens, with a 10 minute last mode memory… very functional… (as long as you dont expect firefly when you put the light on the nighstand, and wake up in the middle of the night).

Im changing Manual Memory to be minimum output, keeping the 10 minute Hybrid Memory that it defaults to. I wish the shortcut to minimum would be memorized automatically.

Stock LH351d 5000k Opple readings and beam profile:

and w 519a 4500K

Very nice Ramping AA light! Applause to everyone that contributed to its creation.
:+1: :beer:
We Have a Winner! :person_with_crown:

update,
a feature not a bug
if I use the shortcut from off to reach minimum, the light does not remember it. It only remembers if I Ramp Down to minimum. This is normal, but it bugs me… lol

Only black magnetic tailcap available? No problem! Thanks to zumlin on r/flashlight for suggesting this nice combination. I’ve immediately tried it myself (after breaking the glue) and like it!

just got green, it was not glued
Ps. I'm waiting for green tail with magnet to be available. It will be available, right?

Pps. I have the "off bug" too.

Would the bug affect any other lights? Just saw Sofirn SC21Pro for preorder.

No, it shouldn’t be present on the SC21 Pro. The lights-off bug is caused by the timing with the boost regulator turning off. The SC21 doesn’t have one of those.

Until then, maybe glue on your own magnet?:

btw, I continue to be impressed with the UI on AA, the ramping and output range are fantastic… and I like the option to change ramp speed to be slower

the stepped modes spacing is truly enlightened

it goes something like this on a battery Ive been playing with all day, and needs a recharge, presently at 1.2v… (Love the batt check… anduril is so feature rich… cant help but love it)

0.00? (so low my meter cannot read it)
1 lumen
8 lumens
26 lumens
64 lumens
150 lumens
220 lumens

that is some of the nicest looking mode spacing, in real world use, that I could imagine. Major kudos to ToyKeeper for all the time and effort that went into the refinement of this stepped ramp spacing.

That’s pretty cool. Also, I’m happy to see it almost always avoids tones below 10 kHz, because those are generally audible. It only has a few PFM levels which go below that, and those weren’t really avoidable because of the extreme ratio difference between power channels. I had to severely slow down the pulses at some levels to hit the desired brightness level.

I had a feeling you would like this one. It is, so far, the only Anduril light which actually gets close to a visually-linear ramp. Everything else has needed to bend the ramp at the bottom due to insufficient resolution at a hardware level.

The moonlight is so impressive. I knew it was going to be low, based on TK’s posts in this thread - but it’s so nice. Not as low my Jetbeam RRT-01, but still damned impressive!

Next to my RRT-01 with 219B SW45K