1x18650 XP-E Flashlight for $2.99; Deal?

Hi,

I completed my build with the S5 and a Luxeon triple emitter, documented here:

Jim

Edit: I just took it outside tonight, and while I wouldn’t say that it’s a super-thrower, it was able to put “some” light on a treeline that’s approx. 100 meters from our house ;)!

Hi,

I also put an XM-L U3 on a 16mm star in one of these. I found an older driver in my junk pile, I think this one:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1127403

and it’s now much brighter, and has a (to me) more useful beam.

- The XM-L U3 kind of press fits into where the original star went. This time, I put the pill in a vise, then used needle nose pliers in the notches and twisted, and the original star came out. I scraped the old Fujik off, and filled the depression in with heatsink compound, and pushed the new XM-U3 star in.

Note that the S5 reflector has a small white centering ring attached at the emitter end. That just pops out, and then hole that remains seems perfectly sized for an XM-L emitter!

- The driver was a very tight press fit. However, because the retaining ring that holds the pill etc. in place is thick, the battery contact spring was kind of too short. I used some magnetic disks (2 of them) on an 18650 worked, but was worried that it might short to the retaining wring, so I used a “20mm partition board” from FT:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001926/1138202-20mm-partition-boards-for-amc7135-led-flashlight-d

I soldered the driver spring to the hole of the partition board, and then soldered spring from my junk box to the battery side of the partition board, and voila!

I am really liking these $2.99 S5s! So far 3 different mods (use a TIR lens instead of reflector, use a 3up/triple, and now, use an XM-L emitter :)!

Nice, 3 very different builds from just about $9 in hosts. Contrats on your new lights. They all sound much better than the stock light.

Looking for ideas for my next/last one and would like s small thrower. Any suggestions for making one that throws better than original?

I received my four now. They have a plastic reflector, which some said they got aluminum. doesn’t matter much. will do some emitter/driver swaps and give some away. seems like a decent mod host for $3.

Hi,

I’ve now modded the 4th S5 with a triple XP-E2 and a Qlite 3.04a driver from IOS. I had to reflow the 3 XP-E2s onto a parallel 3up emitter PCB from IS:

I just got some bare XP-G2 emitters from Digikey, and reflowed them onto a 2nd IS triple PCB, but am kind of stuck for a driver:

Already killed 2 of the supposedly DD drivers from FT on this, and like I said I’m stuck for now because of lack of a driver.

I have some 8x7135 drivers coming from IS, and will probably go with those. I may/will add a couple of add’l 380mA 7135s, as I’m hoping to get 4.5 amps (so 1.5 amps per XP-G2).

I anyone has any ideas for another different driver (I’m dreading trying to stack 7135s), please post!

Thanks,
Jim

Lightingever provides an alternative of this flash light - 3 Watt Super Bright LED Flashlight, Waterproof, CREE LED, C Type Batteries with Long Runtime only $$11.50 & Free Shipping:

Brightness(lm): 160
Diameter (in) 1.54
Length (in) 8.66
Beam Distance 500ft (150M)
Solid State: Shockproof and vibration proof
Extremely long life: white LED last over 30,000 hours

Hi,

The tailcap switch of one of the S5s that I have has stopped worked - the switch just doesn’t click anymore.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap replacement switch for it? I’ve sent email to the “poozoo” seller to see if they can provide one, but haven’t heard back yet.

I dedomed one of mine and loved it, it’s a tiny pocket mini thrower. Not that useful for closeup though as the beam is much smaller, but this is intended in my case. It’s on par with similarly sized aspheric but with much nicer round beam, and not that much spill too.

I didn’t even bother removing any solder… just unscrewed the pill and douse the emitter part on petrol. After the dome dropped, I soaked them with denatured alcohol, let dry and reinstall. Too easy.

And for clickies, you can get from FT or DX for cheap. Search for “clicky”, standard size around 16mm. I cannot open mine, the thread kinda stuck, and it’s not broken, so I’m not going to check th exact size :stuck_out_tongue:

I got mine a while back. I’m not impressed but for $3 shipped, I have nothing to complain about. It’s kind of bluish in tint and and not all that bright. For a cheap light, it is more than fine. Hell, for $3.00 I wish I got more.

I’m going to sell my buddy my Mossberg 500 and I will mount this to it as a gift. He will be happy since he didn’t expect it and its free.

Thanks. I’ll see which ones look the one out of the light and put a couple in my next FT order!

Put a Nichia 219 in it… I did…

I think that this light is more valuable as a host. I got 5 of them, and all 5 have been modded in different ways.

I put an XM-L in one, a TIR in another, a 3up Luxeon in another, and XP-G2 and XP-E2 t3ups in the last 2. Very easy to mod, within the limits of it’s very small pill.

Hi,

FYI, Wallbuys has an “Ultrafire S6” on sale, for $3.80, free shipping:

This looks like the UF S5 from poozoo, but with a different emitter, but does anyone know for sure? I’m especially interested if the UF S6 like the one from WB has the same head design as the UF S5, with the retaining ring pushing the reflector and pill up against the end of the head/lens?

i ordered the same light almost a month ago, but not recieved it yet.

Do you mean the S5 from the Ebay seller “poozoo” (from the OP), or the “UF S6” from Wallbuys?

From the Ebay seller.

I’m kind of surprised. I bought 6 lights from them, in 2 different, and they all got here really fast… I mean in about a week, to East coast U.S. They’ve also been pretty responsive. Have you tried contacting them via Ebay message?

EDIT: BTW, did you get a tracking # for you shipment from them?

No tracking number. i will send the seller a note this week probally.