GorgTech´s 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Machine Made Category. FINISHED

Hello,

this is actually my first post on this forum and also my first attempt at building a flash light.

Some people might know me as the inventor of flash light accesories like eg. this pathetic attempt at building a alternative for a Cap flash light.

I will design some required parts in CAD and use my 3D Printers in order to manufacture them, though most of the labour will be hand made.

Here are some specifications of this Project:

• 3x10W LEDs driven at around 1A each
  • 8x 18650 Lithium Batteries (4S 2P)
  • Protection Circuits, integrated charging unit
  • Just a simple ON-OFF Mode

What will my project be about? I like to recycle parts into useful stuff and remembered that I had this old GPU Cooler in a drawer.

This one might be worth working on?

I also had some spare 10W LEDs I bought many years ago when I designed a fancy desk lamp I still use today.

Will this GPU Cooler be able to handle around 30W, even without a Fan? Yeah.

I drilled some holes and managed to break a few 2.5mm twist drills but it was worth it since Aluminum can be tricky.

Next step was to tap some threading of M3 threads and also shortening some M3x10 screws.

Using a mini grinder actually works pretty great for jobs like this.

Next step was to clean both the modified cooler and the 10W LEDs with rubbing alcohol and to attach the thermal grease.

I used Arctic MX-6 since every °C counts and mounted the LEDs next.

For the wiring I use some recycled cables from burnt Power Supply Units.

After a while the wiring was finished and the first module is ready for testing.

And a closer look, that is enough for now :wink:

Update:

This Project is finished and I´m proud that I could withstand the challenge.

“We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us”

5 Thanks

It’s a pleasure to know you, GorgTech!
My mom dated a guy that was a real jerk.
I called him “Gorg” (not his real name) and the nickname stuck. :grin:

Good luck! Looks like you are off to a good start.

Welcome to BLF GorgTech. Thanks for participating in the contest.

Nice first post.

It’s good to see a “machine made” entry. I’ve been wondering where all the 3d printer guys are!

1 Thank

Thx guys, here are some updates.

I took some measurements of the GPU Cooler and created a solid 3D Model which will help me to build the other stuff required around it :wink:

Should I add some Fans or not? Well, I decided to use 2x 92mm Fans.

Just use some spare stuff for this task.

Ah, much better :wink:

Both Fans will run at 12V.

And this is how the extra Power Supply will look like, also calibrated it for an Output of 12V.

A good friend gave me this lens from a old Overhead Projector.

This might be a nice upgrade for the LEDs and I will also design a mount for it.

It fits like a glove :wink:

2 Thanks

And another short update :wink:

I needed to figure out how to attach the cooling unit to the case and sometimes the easiest idea might work out for the best.

You should know the required steps by now :wink:

This Fan is something I own for ages and I lost the frame…it is still usable for my purpose. Just some extra recycling of EOL parts.

I want a shorter cable and don´t really care about the looks. I guess the electrons don´t care about a nice looking cable too.

Another way to attach “crimp contacts” to a cable.

Yeah, more like it.

Also adjusted the holes so I can use M3 screws later for my lens mount…

I had to do some math again and figured out that a 4S 2P configuration might be better for my Project but how will I keep my DIY Battery Pack in place?

Just make my own Battery Holder which will be held in place by 2x M3 Screws.

The smallest 3D Printer helps me out by making a huge mess out of TPU but hey, at least he tried to help :wink:

This was the raw Prototype, some stringing since the TPU is not the best and the retraction settings are not the best but I can live with it.

Just used a scalpel and now it looks a lot better.

Ready to be welded but I need to receive some of the stuff I ordered first :wink:

2 Thanks

:+1:

Some of the items I ordered arrived these days.

This generic Buck Converter might be overkill for the puny LEDs but at least I´m confident that it will be able to handle around 3A max. without turning into smoke :wink:

I will also use a charging circuit since I don´t want to open the case every time I have to charge the Battery Pack.

How about some extra cooling? I cut some of these old RAM Coolers in half.

In order to attach the Cooler I will need some thermal glue. Why not mix my own?

All you need is some 2K glue and some thermal grease.

Just mix the stuff together and it´s done! The ratio I use is 1:1 for the glue and just a small drop of thermal grease.

My Project needs some extra gadgets too and I think this battery indicator might be nice to have.

Now it´s ready to be connected.

I designed some nice 80mm Fan mounting brackets, also 3D printed from TPU.

Now you get the idea about how the guts will have to be arranged in the housing I´m still working on.

I´ve set the Buck Converter to 12V and a max. current of around 2.9A which is safe enough to drive the 10W LEDs with my laboratory power supply.

Not 100% pretty but I guess that it´s not too bad for the very first welding attempt :wink:

All I need now is the protection circuit to finish my DIY Battery Pack.

My next priority will be to design the case and to solder all the remaining cables.

1 Thank

This is such a cool idea! I like your welding the battery pack it looks quite good. The battery indicator is a cool and unique idea!

Thanks, some days have passed and now I have all my stuff together.

The protection circuit arrived too.

The Battery Pack is complete now :wink:

This is the second Fan I´m going to use.

I adjusted it so I can use nice M5 Screws too :wink:

So far I´m still planning the final Layout and modeling other parts for my enclosure.

Expect a bigger update in a few days.

1 Thank

Looking good. How did you weld the cell tabs?

I bought one of those cheap welding devices and it worked.

You can get one of these for cheap and I paid 48 Euro incl. shipping. Not sure how long this device will last though, it worked great on the highest setting with a fully charged Battery and some UV400A Sunglasses.

Sure, if you want something better you have to get a professional device but for starters, even a cheap starter gear might work out :wink:

4 Thanks

I got mine for around £30 on Ali and it’s a similar welder with the brass sockets and LCD, but I don’t think UV exposure will be an issue - if there’s an arc that means something else is wrong since the weld works with contact resistance not through an arc.

1 Thank

It´s been quite a journey and now let´s have a look at the details.

This is more or less how I want my Project to look like.

I´ve also designed a nice 92mm Fan Grill with the BLF Logo on it :wink:

The feet will be made out of transparent TPU and since I want to keep my design as “clean” as possible, I used the bottom part to add some Text :slight_smile:

And the remaining parts and guts. All 3D Modells are made from scratch and the circuit boards, Fans and the Battery Pack etc. are simplified Volumes.

The green Cover is not final, I just thought about having the freedom of painting the Cover with some cans in case I don´t like the pure 3D printed looks.

Another idea would be to buy some transparent PETG filament and just make a clear Version too at a later time.

Now I can start to prepare my 3D printers for some longer runs since I want to finish my Project in time :wink:

I´ll also design a mount for that Overhead Projector lens mentioned earlier, this is where the 2 screws above the GPU Cooler will be of some use.

5 Thanks

That thing looks like it will be an insane light cannon. Awesome job with the CAD design, I could never do anything even close to that. Nice work there bro!!

Phooaaaa man, this is some cosmic project. You’re going to fry ducks during their flight…

:+1:

1 Thank

Time for another Update :wink:

I´ve spent some time with designing the last missing parts too.

The reflector will be printed with a 0.2mm nozzle and a layer height of only 0.05mm from shiny Filament.

And my 12V Voltage Regulator mount, printed in TPU.

I did some rewiring of the LEDs too and drilled 2 extra holes in order to be able to attach the Lens mount :wink:

Works like a charm.

And my TPU feet, they look pretty nice too.

The 92mm Fan Mount and Backplate of my housing, the 2 cylinder pins are required to connect the parts together without having to use glue.

Precise work, everything fits like intended.

The 92mm Fan Grill :wink:

Will it fit?

The bottom part of my housing.

After some post processing it was ready too. I used threaded inserts and used a soldering iron to push them into the surface.

The charging circuit is really hot, I added another extra Heatsink just to make sure it won´t start a fire.

Did everything work out like intended? Yes, now I need to finish the other parts :wink:

There is still quite a lot left to do but I´m confident that I will finish my Project very soon.

1 Thank

:smiley: Nice touch

1 Thank

Thanks, here are 2 extra pictures I forgot to add:

4 Thanks