4דNichia 219B” on nano-materials XHP70/MK-R baseplate, sounds sweet?

Well, so far, I’ve been toying with the idea of overhauling an old HWA★WYS UltraFake 2S(26650) host I have lying around.

I’ve finally ditched the idea of an XHP50/XHP70 emitter, mainly because I love high-CRI light and getting just one of these in 80+CRI is already @#$% enough.

Kaidomain has plenty of high-CRI Nichias and, on the other hand, FastTech has this baseplate which should allow me to cook-mount a 2S2P 219B array relatively easy, and still allow enhanced thermal transference. Notice that the central path will be at half of the total Vf and thus, DTP is out of the question.

1600+ lumens and XM-L throw ability with 3A?

Cheers :partying_face:

Yeah we need pics of this build :wink:

Clever idea with putting 219’s on that base like that. Grabbing the popcorn.

Well, I’m to get the financial stuff sorted out first.
On the other hand, hope SlowTech does nice this time, one of my latest orders has came up soo unbelievably slow… :person_facepalming:

Cheers

I think you will be mighty disappointed at how poorly it works in a single normal reflector. The 4-die XHPs are already weird enough and they have the advantage of a single dome collimating the light into as much of a single source as possible. With four separate domes on four separate die spaced farther apart than the XHPs? Sounds not so sweet.

Would be nice for use like a COB over a workbench or car dome light with no optics though. In a reflector light? Not so much.

Mmm, not in a reflector, they would be in a zoomie, this:

HWA§WYS thing I'd have to stick them under its aspheric, and use some kind of drill/bit to open up hole enough in the retaining washer to more or less keep them in a 2×2 square tetris block arrangement.

I'd say it would be 0K, I already fitted one of these nichias under the small aspheric of a Saik SA-9 I modded changing its stock XR-E, and more or less loved the result, with a much more aesthetic round & pearly zoomed emitter.

Hope I end up managing this swap (be sure lol!).

Cheers

An aspheric is even more sensitive to exact centering and focal length than a reflector. It worked OK with a single LED... would it still work OK if you offset that single LED 3-4mm off center? The multiple light sources won't blend and combine into a single anything, it'll look like what it is, four off-center LEDs.

I just don’t believe reflow-cooking that 2×2 ledpack is going to be much of an issue: precise ≈200°C/392°F low heat & careful arrangement. I won’t use solder paste, either, but carefully measured and pre-cooked tiny bickel sliver amounts of solder already on the pad landzones before setting any emitter “on the table”.

What is more: my board isn’t going to be soldered to the pill, LOL!
I can carefully center the whole shebang while I’m screwing down the pill’s retaining washer.

They’ll look somewhat spaced apart?

Cheers

No offense, and totally off-topic but your big a$$ smileys are REALLY annoying…

Mmmkay got it, should look much handier now.

Regards,
Salvador :partying_face:

comfychair is right. With an aspheric lens in focus, you will basically see a magnified image that looks exactly like what you see when looking down onto the led board - four distinct emitters. When you shine it onto a wall, there will be four squares of light separated by a grid of darkness that will look like a big plus sign. Still, it might look cool! Only you could tell whether you like it or not, so go ahead and build it and see for yourself! :wink: However, if you decide that it’s not for you, maybe you could find a TIR that will fit in there and collimate the light into a single beam. I don’t know if TIRs are made in that size and shape, but maybe?

Well DavidEF, just soldered some thin wires and an 1Ω power resistor (who is probably older than myself) to the stock XM-L on the pillhead, grabbed the aspheric and did some freehand testing feeding the thing with a li-ion.

I like what I've seen, slightly displacing the aspheric side by side barely has any effect on the focus (for sure much less effect than the vibration of my own hands, LOL!). Emitter offset distance from the center would be slightly less than 2'5mm (<1/10 of an inch).

Oh! It won't look like four squares, but four circles. :CROWN:

Cheers ^:-)

Yes, if the lens is the right focal distance from the face of the LED, there will be no noticeable loss of focus by moving the lens over to the right or left. But, if it is perfectly focused, there will be four squares of light coming out, because the dies which produce the light are square. You can back off the focus a little to make it less square, but you lose throw that way.

Well, I don't have that modified Saik SA-9 zoomie with 219B emitter at hand, I bargained it to a friend long ago; he got hooked on the thing just after seeing it.

I don't remember seeing a square emitter when zoomed in, more like a fuzzy circle which looked nice but, anyway, I barely had any time to test the torch, she got boyfriend too soon.

Cheers ^:-)

Yes, the “fuzzy circle” means that the lens is not perfectly focused on the die. Many manufacturers do this on purpose because they think it looks better than the perfect representation of the LED. It was especially true back when Cree emitters were squares with two corners knocked out and lines running down the middle. Not exactly pretty! :confounded:

Most of the cheapest zoomie lights that are out there still have this appearance because they are either using older emitters or clones of the original Cree style. Here is an example I pulled off Google Images just now:

Well, fact is that, before modification, you could see a well defined XR-E emitter shape when zoomed in, and it certainly looked like the picture you’ve linked there.
After the emitter change, the zoomed in shape was, as I said, more like a fuzzy circle, pearly shape or whatever. I really don’t know if I screwed up something, but anyway I loved it. :crown:

Cheers

Already ordered a bottle of Goot Super Soldering Flux and a 100-pack of R330 SMD resistors so, officially:

Cheers

P.S.: after re-checking this testing two of KD's new Nichia 219b leds (4500K'92CRI' and 5500K), seems my expected lumen throughput will be “just doable” with around 2A per emitter. Hope the thing doesn't heats up too much with ≈25W on the emitter board…

From what I see on KD’s product descriptions, both XP-L HI and XHP70 are “minimum 80-CRI”. Domed XP-L is either typical OR minimum 80-CRI. Waiting for KD’s staff to post the emitter’s bin/order code.

Cheers

Well, I’ve been obsessively over-analyzing this lately, my head somewhat aches. :person_facepalming:

Well, with the driver set at 4’2A and presuming my host’s cooling ability would allow me to drive the emitters at about 4A comfortably, that means I would get around 1600+ peak lumens output with 4×219Bs; if, on the other hand, I stick one of those 80CRI minimum XHP70s, I think I’d get close to 2200 lumens of sustained output for the same driving current.
I’m somewhat leaning to the aforementioned quad 219Bs experiment but, I really don’t know if the extra effort is worth all that extra CRI minus ⅓ off the overall light throughput. I guess it is but, I’m dazed right now.
Gosh!

Cheers :partying_face:

was this the idea your thinking about? ( i though i was the only crazy person to try it lol* i did the same back in January with four Nichia padless 119 emitters on a XHP70 sinkpad.