7x18650 in paralel

Hi people i made a Cave lamp with 7 18650 3000mAh batteries connected parallel.
…now i have 3.7v and 21000mA.
and i need to drive two xml t2 cree diodes separately.
and i have only one switch on off on
can you help me find a driver for this lamp so i can have one strong mode and possible other half power mode or so.

1. Why do you need to turn them on and off separately?
  2. What current do you intend to drive each LED at?
  3. For control, do you have a SPDT switch or an on/off button such as a forward or reverse clicky?
  4. Are you forced to run your 7 18650 batteries in parallel?

Hi danilothd, welcome to BLF!

If there is space enough in the lamp, you could use two qlite drivers (=nanjg105c with different modes), in parallel, each driving one XML. The qlite gives 3.04A on high setting, and if the third star is connected to the outer ring, it has two modes, 15% and 100% (see the intl-outdoor site for details)

http://intl-outdoor.com/qlite-reva-71358-multiple-modes-circuit-board-304a-p-710.html

Beat me to it Djozz. One of those Qlite drivers and slave could push both LEDs from one switch or dpdt switch and one driver for one at a time.

If you could find a on, on, off switch like in the uniquefire HS-802 might help. Or get someone to program a driver with only 2 modes,that might be the easiest way to set it up.
If you don’t mind me asking, what 3000mah batteries are you using?

wow… so much answers :slight_smile:
One LED is spot and second is wide angle.
in caves i mostly use wide one but i need spot light to see what is inside some pit or tunnel
wide LED must have at least two modes 100% and lower one for example 50% which i use to save battery.
spot must have 100% and it don’t need another mode, but if there is possibility why not to have two modes also.
the switch is home made because i must put all that inside waterproof case of old PETZL DUO lamp.and the switch works like normal on off on switch. it has three position and three pins. pin1, pin2, pin3. in first position it conect pin1 and pin2 , in second it is off and in third conect pin2 and pin3. there is possibility to put another push button or how do you call that switch that is on when you press it and when you release it turns off.

The case for batteries i made of old bomb case which is also waterproof and i success to put 7 batteries inside and i made them in parallel because i need more capacity. I spend up to 8 hours inside of cave and i need a lamp that can go all the time without changing batteries. the batteries are UltraFire BRC 18650 3000mAh 3.7V li-ion.

there is a little space inside a lamp because i made a big heatsink. probably i can put two drivers but they could be very close one to another…

You could use one driver & have the switch direct the output to the flood, off, spot. Switch in the battery case perhaps to change modes.

UltraFire BRC…. I’ll let someone else take that. :weary: Ok, one review link.

“how do you call that switch that is on when you press it and when you release it turns off” Momentary button.

this is not original switch, i made it… I pull everything from inside of case so i can put bigger heatsink
batteries i find on ebay they are good but i am not sure if they really have 3000mAh. but one battery in full mode on my Boruit lamp cam go up to one hour and 20 minutes

Pics or it didn't happen :D

You wear head protection right...could you possibly rig up a dual light setup kind of like those beer cuzi things

Possible ideas

A. rig a few smaller Cree 2835 led's across the bill of a hardhat like this

B. Firefighter hardhat mount

Just run the power line up your back and clip to the nape of your climbing gear and feed those lights that way

Just to run a few ideas by you

i do not have a camera right now to get pics…
i find this driver and i want to order it so i can put 2 drivers and the problem i solved!!!
i am just worried because of heating… do i have to put heatsink on driver?

@WarHawk-AVG
it must be 100% waterproof… and shockproof too!!
the PETZL DUO is good solution but original one use halogen light and with one pack of batteries it can go only one hour… it was originally one halogen and 14LED but they are too weak…
i Want to build PETZL DUO with 2 cree…

nice, very intersting

Several other discussion

Googled the PETZL and came across this (DIY caving light)

http://www.dola.hu/fejlampa/index_en.html

UltraFire BRC 3000mAh :weary: :weary:

Please read the link from Helios, maybe you WILL change your mind and get other safe, reputable brand and real capacity set of batteries for your project 0:)

what battery you suggest me??

Panasonic 3400mAh. HKJ test. Panasonic 3400mAh with quality protection Panasonics are very reliable. Often regarded as best brand for li-ions. No one else can even make a true 3400mAh 18650 and they just started production of a 3600.

HKJ’s UltraFire BRC 3000mAh tests showed actual capacities between 2094-2610mAh (at 0.5A). Anywhere from 4 to 6 panasonics will give the same or better runtime as those UltraFires.

i need 100 euros for 7 of these… :frowning:

4 of them may be enough to give better runtime then 7 ultrafire BRC. And panasonics won’t blow up on you while your deep in a cave.

HKJ's Ultrafire have a high capacity abnormal for that brand, generally you have under 1000mAh. However capacity is such an insignificant problem of Ultrafire. The cells are dangerous.

ok :frowning: now when i have more than 20 of thees i made this one with them… but for my next project i tray to by panasonic or sanyo :slight_smile: