A60

I agree that I shouldn't be comparing the A60 to a light almost 9 times more expensive (it's definitely not worth $125 so don't get it), but due to my late STL-V2 I don't really have anything else to compare it to. I guess here are a few lux readings at 1 meter:

* STL-V2 - 48k @ 750 lumens

* STL-V2 dedomed - 86k @ 530 lumens

* A60 - 53k @ ??? lumens, didn't measure but it's around 300 going by eye

* A60 dedomed - 82k @ ??? lumens, estimated at 230 going by eye

* 7G5V2 - 47k @ 860 lumens

* 7G5V2w/coll. head - 128k (peak intensity)@ 650 lumens

* SRKing - 23k @ 2250 lumens

* P60 NW dropin from IO - 8k @ 750 lumens

* TF X6 - 46k @ 1300 lumens

* 85W ebay HID - 218k @ 4810 lumens

The lumens figure was a rough calculation going by ceiling bounce lux readings in my very white bathroom based on the assumption that my SR king is 2250 lumens. The lux figures were worked out at 10 meters, then calculated the 1 meter reading with a lux meter.

Fair enough dude. I figured you understood. Added more for future reference if anyone stumbles on this thread. Thanks for the lux figures.

If anything, I think this reinforces that the A60 is hard to beat for the price. Of course, there are better lights that cost more. That is no surprise to any of us… Doesn’t mean we will stop looking for steals. :slight_smile:

My jake arrived today, usual crapwrap and a well battered box, however the light was intact, (amazingly), and a nice finish to it.
The bezel was less than finger tight, so I was highly amused to see a sticker on the box saying ” QC PASSED”
I’ll take it to work tonight and roadtest it.

Is everyone getting Jacob A60’s that don’t say Jacob on them? Mine simply has “CREE Q5” printed on it.

Mine says the same thing.

Yup. Mine says the same.

Mine also arrived in a beat-up box, as mentioned above. A couple small flaws in the finish on the head and tail, a couple flaws in the reflector, but doesn’t seem to affect the beam.

For the money I’m happy with it.

The reflective coating has started to bubble on the flat part of the reflector that surrounds the opening near the LED too. It’s quite unsightly, and disappointing.

Brief comparison/review of the V3? Tint, mode memory?

Comments about the UF-V3.

Better spill and bigger hot spot than a few of my C8 lights, head is similar size.
No artifacts on mine.
Throws well but not as much as the HD2010 but it has a bigger head so that is to be expected.
Always starts in High if off more than 2-3 seconds, otherwise goes to next mode.
I am not good at tint differences, looks pretty white to me like most of my other lights.

All in all just a nice light for less than $20.
Tmart has them in US warehouse.
HTH
Keith

Throws like a mutha, lol, further than I expected, but got to say no good to me as a work light!!, beam is too thin, but not sorry I bought it it’s a real curio.
I also saw some faint flaws at the base of the reflector, and was surprised to see that the LED seems to be BELOW the level of the base.
I can understand why some of the guys would like to see a XM-L in this light, seems to me that would turn it into a real BEAST of a thrower!!

So far I think that I like my Small Sun C10 (have 2 of these) better then the A60. The A60 definately has a very tight beam and the spill is not all that bright. So I am thinking if the spill is not that helpful at distance then why not just focus it all into one beam like on the C10. Is that reasonible thinking or just nonsense?

I have a confirmed 270 yards with the green C10 with rifle scope (hunting with these lights). The next time I am out at the farm or deer lease hopefully I will be able to do a comparison of the C10 and the A60 side by side.

ps - But I ordered my 3rd A60 this week and DX shows only payment confirmed in the order status. Cant remember if that is a good thing or either a bad thing. Wonder if they have already sold out again of the A60’s

Check out this comment and the thread linked therein:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/10930#comment-240523

Gary makes an interesting case for the spill of XMLs messing with your vision such that it is harder to make out detail, compared to XRE. I get what you are saying megabeam, I thought the same, but you really may need an even larger head for XML to really throw the way you are thinking of. Think HD2010, and larger.

Oh I am hat, believe me I am, my other half has now caved in regarding the hobby,lol,
she even asked me yesterday if I’d like a good torch for Xmas, so I pointed her at a HD, hehehe.
Anyone recommend a good dealer??.

Yep mines just arrived from DX today. Finishing quality is okay not fantastic but for the price you can’t complain. It just says Cree Q5 on the side also not Jacob. I fired it up the hotspot is small & bright but up against my HD2010 with a king kong it’s no where near as bright! Il have to wait till tonight to compare throw!

Can anyone confirm the DX jakes are genuine?, or could they be clones?.

All the ones I’ve gotten have only ‘CREE Q5’. They work superbly. They’re made likewise - mind you for the bucks. The ‘real’ Jakes themselves might’ve been clones. Who the heck knows except for DX.

For all I care they could also say……

’Mary Poppins Thinks These Are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and I’d still buy the heck out of ’em.

They throw like Randy Johnson on benzedrine. Here’s an illustrative to help one get the picture.

It ain’t the print it’s the output. If I were you I’d buy one before they aren’t around period or at least this quality level.

One note though. The lens on mine 9 out of 10 times were filthy. They need serious cleaning attention. I bet you gain at least 10% OTF.

Yeah my lens was dirty as well. I gave it a boiling water bath with some light scrubbing with the soft side of the sponge, and then finished it off by rinsing under methylated spirits.

I’m about to order one…cross your fingers!

My lens was very grimey too. Tried cleaning it again and inadvertently dedomed the emitter :open_mouth: it came right off when I touched it with a qtip.

In messing with it further I managed to kill the emitter. Weak. So I guess I will need to swap the emitter out at some point. Kinda sucks but it was cheap so no big deal.

I just wanted to add if I may as good as the Jacob A60 throws, it won’t out throw your better XM-L throwers at longer distances.