Andúril 2 coming to Sofirn - The general Sofirn development thread

I think the SP33 is called “floody” by people who like throwy lights. I wouldn’t call it floody.

I would, however, buy a C8F tail cap with no switch and the lanyard lug on the side so it can tail stand instantly.

SP31 V2 has two switches and works like that, but seems it is not as popular as SP32A V2

Barry0892: Thanks for the info, unfortunately I’m a picky flashaholic. I don’t especially like xp-l hi (or any other thrower emitter) in edc sized flashlights that I use for close range (I like wide hotspots). The bigger issue is that anything above 4000°K must be either unique (as a collector piece) or cheap and without glue to allow emitter swap. AFAIK SP31 is glued.

Why SP32 sells more would be just a speculation. Two guesses, it’s not available on banggood (sp32 is) and for random buyers when thing looks similar, they usually prefer model with higher number because they think it’s either newer or improved.

True teacher. I would love knurling like that.

This goes back to the issue I raised earlier - the naming scheme can be confusing, and it isnt clear what light does what. There needs to be an easy comparison list (eg: max lumens, battery type, number of emitters, emitter type, weight, release date etc etc etc). I honestly have no idea the difference between the 30, 31, 32….

I might spend some time tonight working a spreadsheet up.

Also going into the item description and the actual information is under an image of a bunch of other items that aren’t the one you chose to look at…

/shrug

If you have not seen this POLL CONCERNING GLUED LIGHTS , please check it out & vote…

It is an attempt to get one light manufacturer to listen concerning using glue to seal their lights. Maybe other light companies might listen also. . :+1:

Take a few seconds & vote……

‘NO GLUE’ is the goal. Hopefully, this poll will help achieve that goal.

SP31 V2.0 is a great light if you want to have a tighter hot spot. It comes with XP-L HI but it also works great with SST-20 (once you get the bezel loose…hello glue!). SP32A V2.0 has - to my mind - the more versatile beam profile, quite allround-like between throw and flood. It only lacks the right LED. XP-L2 should be exchanged by LH351D for a better beam quality (no rainbows, no fried eggs). Did you know that you can use the SC31 OP reflector in the SP32A V2.0? Once you combine the XP-L2 with the OP reflector you get a nicer beam (at the cost of lux/candela of course).

You took the words right out of my mouth eehhhm fingers. :smiley: Very good thought to remind about the “vote for revealing lights” :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :+1:

/\ . :+1: . :wink:

Right, so I did a quick thing, not 100%, but just looking at the products when opening.

See how confusing the SP and SF series get? The C series are thankfully consistent in being a similar body shape.

I’m unsure if more categories in the store would help - but when I was looking at getting either the SP30/31/32, coupled with there being multiple entries in the store for each, I just kinda threw my hands up and didn’t bother.

Looks good oweban! :THUMBS-UP: I tried something in parallel, still working on filling the gaps. This is just something to start with. I hope I get the drawings for the SP36 and Q8, too. Anything else you would like to have in the comparison chart? I saw CCT/CRI could be worthwhile to mention.

That’s incredible! Far more detailed than I could do in 20 minutes :slight_smile: I love that the images are to scale.

Maybe a field for “notes” - I feel like there’s not many lights with higher CRI, so instead of a column, a notes field could encompass that. It could also be filled that with things like “ideal use case”, or similar.

As for CCT - for myself, if I had that chart, I’d be able to cross out all the cold whites immediately and only focus on what I want (given the propensity for glue in heavy doses :wink: happy to change emitters, but I don’t want to have to wreck the light in the process!)

At the end of the day, I think an informed customer is a happy one. While it might be information overload for some, it would help someone who knows exactly what they’re after to narrow it down quickly.

Thanks for your suggestions oweban. Maybe we can join our information into one chart. ;) Concerning the scale: I must confess I scaled them down “freehand” :person_facepalming: :smiley: . So, there might be some deviation in the actual size by size comparison. But I can try to align this later on in case it’s worth the effort. I’m afraid it will be difficult to gather all CCT/CRI data for these flashlights. Mostly, these are between 5.700K and 6.500K and CRI is except for C01 and C01S - usually 70CRI.

I’ll keep the “notes” field in mind. :+1: And I agree something like “ideal for…” could be useful for indecisive customers that want to buy the right light for their needs. Maybe a “modification potential” row could be interesting even though I cannot say for sure how long this information would be valid. Small changes in the production process might cause big differences if a light comes glued or not glued.

Anyway, I’m gonna fill in as much information as I can get. :slight_smile:

Edit: I guess I’d better start to put all this stuff into Excel. I started the chart with Visio but that’s obviously not the best tool to use. :person_facepalming:

Sounds good! It’s 10:41pm here so it’s almost my bedtime :stuck_out_tongue: but I’ll try and make time on the weekend to make a bit more of a concerted effort to collate data.

Fantastic! Very much appreciated! :+1:
Feel free to send me a PM, so this thread will not be derailed too much. :wink:

we need more stickers.

:person_facepalming:

Looking good Lux-Perpetua & oweban!! Thank you…. :+1:

Just about anything is better than GLUE…… :wink:

ermm, yes anything’s better than glue.

Be careful with what you say, next time they may use red loctite :wink: