Best or Good Quality UV Torch

Hello,

I am looking to buy my first UV light.
The main and primary purpose is to help cure resin(Polyurethane / Epoxy) on surfboard repairs.
Ideally, it would run on 1 x AA or 1 x AAA to make it easier while traveling in remote destinations.

I am not sure if the 1 x AA/AAA versions are underpowered or not for this purpose.

I am looking for 365 nm as opposed to 395nm to get better performance.
I have ready contradictory comments about Nichia LED’s.

Some of the interesting models I have seen so far are:
Jetbeam Jet-UV (1x AAA)
Jaxman U1s (1 x 18350)

I know Convoys are regularly recommended, but I generally avoid flashlights that use Linear drivers and burn excess voltage as heat.

Any recommendations or input?
Thanks!

My input, buy one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951600559.html?
Buy a good quality AA flashlight like a Lumintop tool and replace the led and mcpcb with this LG led mcpcb.
Will run off AA batterys and put out alot more mw’s running a 14500.
The older model tool was done here What did you mod today? - #2553 by Serp
I have built one using the newer 2.0 model. It has modes using the original driver.
The Ultratac A1 would also be a good host.

Thanks, will look into this!

another thing that might be useful is a purple laser pointer.

they have lots of UV and can test for fluorescence even in daylight.

I use one to look for uranium glass at yard sales, it glows green
many yard sales are in daylight

lights up like 4th of july

wle

Led Laser Uv Purple Beam Laser Pointer Pen 405nm Professional Powerful
$3.98.$3.98eBay - 2015hkgerr
1 product review
Product Title LED Laser UV Purple Beam Laser Pointer Pen 405nm Professional Powerful 1mW Product Overview Description …
Purple · 1 mW

Would that be a direct replacement for the Cree CW LED mpcb that's in the Lumintop Tool AA2.0 HM Homemade EDC Flashlight kit?

I'm unlikely to use the CW pill and, having the ability to swap pills easily between the included Nichia pill and the other pill modified with the quality LG UV emitter installed would increase the versatility of the kit significantly.

slmjim

Just this morning there was discussions about lineair drivers again. The so-called inefficiency of lineair drivers which goes by the slogan “burns off excess voltage as heat” is a matter of a few percent compared to other types of drivers, that have their energy losses too. This is when batteries are full, if partly drained, lineair drivers sometimes become more efficient than buck or boost drivers. You may dislike lineair drivers of you like, but mind that almost all of that is emotion, not usability. And it sounds like what you ask for here is a particularly functional light.
The only type of leds that really may profit from buck/boost drivers are the new very low voltage leds like Luxeon V and White Flat, the voltage difference with a single li-ion battery is really high. But 365nm UV leds have a relative high voltage, close to the battery voltage, so lineair is the best and most efficient driver for these.

Djozz, thanks for your input.

My most used LEDs are currently the e21a (quad setup), 219c (quad or higher setup), SST20 (quad or more setup) and xp-l hi.

With exception to the xp’l hi, most of these LEDs will run at a forward voltage below 3V unless driven hard on an unsustainable turbo where the light will overheat. Correct me if I am wrong, but my preference for buck or boost drivers is more than emotion based given the use and setup of my current lights.

On the other hand, I know nothing about UV LEDs and as you have pointed out, looks like a linear driver Convoy light is an excellent choice for this light.

The issue with linear drivers in a UV flashlight is that there is too little excess voltage to burn :frowning: , it requires to keep the battery near full charge for the full output, so a florescent mineral community made a Convoy C8 build with 2 cells and a buck driver (Fyrfly). If you are not in the US (patent issues) you can get a similar build from Convoy at AliExpress convoy C8 with LG UV365nm LED
Since you are not interested in a fluorescence you may ask Simon for one without a filter.

Since the Vf of 365nm UV LEDs is around 4 Volts, I would prefer NiMH batteries with a boost driver.
That way you always have enough voltage for the LED.

[edit] I spoke too soon, the new LG 365nm LED has a much lower Vf, but still around 3.6 Volts.
[/quote]

I bought one of these after trying several others that really sucked. its the most powerful cheap uv torch ive found so far!

I bet it’s powerful. :slight_smile:
Description says “365 - 395nm” which is not possible with monochrome LEDs.
So it’s probably 395nm, which can be fun and usable for UV curing glues and lacquers, but it’s visible as purple and does not excite all fluorescent materials like 365nm does.

Interesting… I can see another mod coming :sunglasses:

Dunno about that one. It only goes “no” and “off”. :laughing:

Its a matter of what size the mcpcb is. Its been a couple months back since I did mine. If it’s a 16mm mcpcb then, yes direct replacement. If its 14mm, some filing will be needed. If the original tool mcpcb is copper, then you could just reflow the bare UV LG emitter on it. If your going to push the UV LG led then a copper mcpcb is a must. I have read that UV leds don’t like excessive heat. Djozz could probably give more info with that subject.

has anyone got a link to the bare LG emitters?

This?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847123434.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.1.613977d5HBPpsn&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=ec15197e-f099-44e8-b5e9-83496d2ff558

slmjim

Those look to be a lower power 3w version, I think it is these ones the other guys are talking about 5W LG UV but i cant find them as bare emitters anywhere (i think its the same emitter used on the Convoy S2)

They also have all diameters of ZWB2 filter on Kadomain

Very late reply to this, but if you’re after curing glue and paint, it’s better to get a 380 - 395nm UV LED.
They are more efficient (more UV output per Watt), cheaper and have a lower Vf, and you can use PMMA / acrylic optics, like for a triple setup.

I’m a bit confused right now…

I thought that 3 Watt version was of the previous generation, whereas the 5 Watt version is the latest generation with the relatively low Vf.
Djozz knows this for certain, of course.

Thanks for the reply.

I measure the mcpcb in the Tool AA2.0 HM kit at 12mm. Also, they aren't secured by screws; there are two tabs on the mcpcb that locate into slots at the edges of the pill to prevent the mcpcb from rotating, but that's it. I suspect they're being secured by thermal glue. Perhaps they're proprietary specifically to the kit? I doubt there's enough room on the LG DTP plate you linked to at the Convoy store to reduce the diameter by sanding it without seriously encroaching on the solder pads the pill's leads attach to.

I ordered one of the linked LG UV DTP plates anyway, and we'll see what happens. If necessary, I'll embark on my first attempt at reflowing. Or, find a suitable host & driver to create a AA UV light from scratch.

slmjim