Big batteries. 46800 and bigger

I can’t lie I like big batteries. The latest in the race 46110. Lumintop GT110 SBT90.2 7000lm 2720m Thrower Flashlight – Nealsgadgets. Other lights; LUMINTOP Mach XHP50.3 26000lm Flood 46950 LED Flashlight – Nealsgadgets Lumintop GT46 SFP55 LED 13000 Lumens 46800 LED Flashlight With Battery – Nealsgadgets So we have 46800 25,000mah, 46950 32,000 mah and 46110 with 38,000mah. These batteries have the same diameter as 3-21700’s but with a little more length and a whole lot more capacity. Most of these cells are manufactured by Eve geared towards BMW and Tesla in the EV race. Is this a possible trend for newer soda can lights and long range throwers? I’m still a big fan of 26800 cell for smaller carry lights. However one cell high capacity 46mm by 80-110mm seem to have some real advantages. No multi-cell voltage issues, hugh capacity gains for space used, winner in the who’s the biggest.

4 Thanks

I was sceptical that when Tesla went into 21700, the rest of the market will also use them. And now it’s 2023 and 21700 is basic battery used in flashlights. :partying_face: So if automakers choose to use 46800 format, then I think these cells will make it to flashlight market sooner or later.
Also, charging one battery is much easier and safer than 3S or even 3P cells, so another benefit.

2 Thanks

Bigger and fewer batteries is definitely better, less things that can go wrong.

2 Thanks

I like’em big and round.

I’m really excited about an affordable soda can light with a standard battery with 25 Ah capacity. All I’ve seen so far are proprietary battery formats, and I don’t do those.

I agree.
I only get lights that take one lithium ion cell.
I know that is probably being overly cautious, but I don’t feel like balance charging, and worrying about cells not being balanced (which can be more dangerous in the worst case scenario.) :+1:

1 Thank

These cells are set to be the new wave of EV and home power storage. Originally the smaller 18650’s were computer batteries and we gleefully shoved them into flashlights and started the mad hobby most of us are in. Then the cells got bigger and more efficient so did our desire to push the lumens. Now we have car batteries, the future is looking brighter.

With the last one having a good set of specs also listed in the comment section. These batteries derive their capacity from a 1/3C drain. Some of these cells are Iron phosphate most are Lithium-ion.

SoLooks good if Samsung is building for BMW.

Moved from Lumintop Mach soda can review.

1 Thank

I don’t yet have a big battery or a flashlight that would be driven by it. But I love that they show up and hope this will become a trend.
Great for both power lights as well as lanterns.

Bigger batteries are definitely a plus. Beats 3 and 4 batteries for a light.

Lumintop says 15000 mah.

Yes it does, and only the BYD lithium iron phosphate battery that I’ve found has that capacity. Tesla, BAK and EVE listed 23-26mah.

1 Thank

Sure! And when they do go wrong, it’s certainly much nicer fireworks! :rofl: the only thing a 46800 needs to be just like a holy hand grenade is a pin! :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT: obligatory video for anyone not old enough to know the reference: https://youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

The near future looks even… brighter. Next up will be solid state versions (via a Toyota collaboration, with others to follow suit). The new ss cells are said to provide at least twice the density, far longer service life, more charge cycles, safer chemistry, higher C rates, lower production costs, and with no performance degradation at high or low temperatures.

Tesla Produced Its 20 Millionth 4680-Type Battery Cell At Giga Texas

It looks like these huge cells are here to stay well into the foreseeable future. Now if I could just find 4 to play with. If anyone finds a source where we can buy decent 4680’s, please post a link.

I’ll avoid the Lumintop version, since a portion of their cell was used to incorporate onboard charging while reducing cell capacity.

It looks like my GT4 will accept a pair of Tesla 4680’s with some room to spare for a contact plate mod in the tail cap. This should double the capacity from 24K to 50K mAh… hopefully!

Skylumens is selling 4695’s 4695 30,000mAh - Sky Lumen

3 Thanks

The only place I have seen them for sale (other than Skylumen) is wholesale where you have to buy like 10k units.

1 Thank

The 4680 cells I’m seeing now are only Chinese lithium iron phosphate 3.2v flavor.

1 Thank

Thanks for the link. Sadly, those are too long to fit my GT4. It looks like I’ll have to hold out for some 4680’s. If you find some, please do share.

Someone should 3D-print a 4x21700-to-1x46800 adapter. I know, would have less capacity, but would serve to tide you (and other owners of 46800 flashlights) over until these cells gain better availability.

I once asked @spicy3d for something not quite similar (a 14500-to-18650 adapter) and at the time he told me he had not designed one and didn’t have any plans to, but perhaps things have changed, you could ask him about it.

Right now Tesla 4680 are used in house only. Contact https://www.evebatteryusa.com or Telephone: (614) 389-2552 Monday-Friday 8:00 to 17:00 EST. Their 4680 are 26,000mah and rated for 1,500 cycles. They also have the 4695 and 46120 should you get an extension.

1 Thank

A 4x21700 carrier will exceed the diameter of a 46800 and wont fit.

1 Thank