BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

++1…… yep, tried that……… didnt work. Much easier to just take the battery out when you are not using it and use the Al as your EDC. Even if you dont the batt will last a couple of months :student:

I use on my bare A6 some clear lack. But on my Cu X5 it doesn’t work. Probably I have too much free/overlapping lack.

Hi guys,

Just got the BLF X6 yesterday and my driver retaining ring does not tighten. I can turn it with a toothpick so that is pretty loose. Anyone else has this issue or a solution to the problem?

Thank you.

Corzy, it’s a known problem.
First cut on a search: site:budgetlightforum.com X6 driver retaining ring loose - Google Search
you can narrow it down by improving the search (or someone with a better memory will come along)
There are fixes suggested (both X6 and X5)

Thanks hank, I did do a search but results if I remember correctly pointing to tail retaining rings.
I will try to do a search again in case I missed something.

The closest I got is mattlward’s X5 ring that drops off the thread at the top of the driver.

Some others pointing to the Eagleeye version also but could not find something on the current Manker/ Astrolux built version.

ok, I think it’s somewhere in here

To snag the ring if it’s gone past the end of the threads — because the driver isn’t quite thick enough or the notch it sits in is cut a little too deep, same result —

— use a needlenose plier in the holes in the ring, point the lens up, gently rotate the ring counterclockwise until it engages — falls onto — the threads then back it on out slowly. Don’t twist against any resistance, you don’t want it cross-threaded. Then you can add a little bit of something to the edge of the driver to thicken it up a bit before you try to turn the retaining ring tighter again. But that’s all from memory, this has happened off and on on a variety of pills/lights. Best wait for someone with a better memory. Oh, I said that already (grin).

Thanks again hank.
What you’re describing sounds like I have to add or somehow shim the gap between the driver and retaining ring?
Will have a go at a search again in case I missed something.

In my case the threads stopped short of the driver with no relief cut so the ring would not snug down the driver. I scraped a bit of solder mask and added two shims to fill the gap.

Thanks for your input Rufusbduck. Is that a BLF A6 that gave you the problem?

Yes, it was one of the black ano ones. The machining on this whole set(black, bare, short tubes) has been so inconsistent as to result in a huge black eye for Manker and Bangood. Many had no issues at all but there were enough that what should have been a top notch budget light/host cannot be recommended. It’s still unclear whether they are shipping incorrect short bare tubes and they may have made it next to impossible by making two different thread sizes on parts that were supposed to be interchangeable.

++1000000 its a shame they managed to screw up such a good light(A6/S1). Its impossible to know if what you are ordering will work with something you already have until you get it. Then if it doesnt…… they want you to take a picture. It is that kind of logic(or lack of) that explains their inability to manufacture anything that is consistent.

Yup Rufusbduck, I noticed that the quality is a hit or miss too. I have recently got both the ano and non-ano A6. Only got the shorty tube for the non-ano just for kicks. Threads fit but the tube is bit long with causes a little gap between the head and tube. I think a little sanding down on the tube can fix that.

Back to the X6 i got, my retaining ring is so loose that when I shake the head (without tube on ) I can hear it shaking inside. Not to mention that I can turn the retaining ring round all day with a toothpick.

Not only that, my reflector is a bit discoloured (oxidised ) on the top.

Contacted Banggood and they told me to clean it with a cloth?!?

Coscar yup, quality wise a bit iffy. Holding back on getting the E14/S14.

:person_facepalming:
That is not good. It may be the cure worse than the disease

Can’t blame them I guess g_sintornillos. CS is probably following some guidelines on how to reply to customers.
I should write back telling them my reflector is now a golden hue and how to get it back to chrome.

Forgot about this, hows the quality of these lights, specifically the Aluminum ones?

I’m a flashlight noob to a large degree, but the quality on these is excellent in my opinion. They are compact yet give out astonishing light. They have some great features and a really superb UI. The fit and finish is extremely good. Go for it, you won’t regret it.

Mine alluminum are top quality. Probably the best stock lights i have ever purchased , even if they are not stock anymore :smiley:

That X5 or its Astrolux counterpart is amazing
Had it with me dining at friends and when we were playing outside olGiles went back in to get his wife to show how much light such a small light can produce (I have them both in ALU and happy to be able to lock them out.)

I am thinking about using the driver/led tail switch of the ALU X6 in another light possible a black Convoy C8.

Just bought an Aluminum set :smiley:

You’ll be very happy with your purchase, I’m sure……