BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

Are you sure you’re ready for pink boots? Pink and blue boots?

Pink-blue-silver girl approves!

Well, except maybe for that last one. The John Deere one honestly makes me feel a little queasy.

A little backstory on the evolution of this group buy. (Much is reliant on my memory :()

Back in June I was conversing with Kronos for an X6 Ti alternative. Something that could be affordable to all and usable at the same time. I think I was thinking polished AL and even chromed (something along those lines). Then along comes Dr. FrankenDale and he immediately nixes chrome for the sake of cutting one's self and suggests SS. When discussing heat, Dale wanted a chunk of copper but if memory serves correct Djozz suggested a complete copper section.

At the same time I had been prodding Kronos for a proportionately downsized 14500 light made out of AL. 14500's are some of TK's favorite lights (like she really needs anything else up her sleeve)

Off Kronos goes to speak with Neal and we received a nod.

Somewhere in the typical miscommunication, two full size hosts were made in SS and Cu (I think there are only three Cu X6 in existence). Of course we all KNOW that Dale has a Cu X6. LOL. He was so smitten with the Cu that he wanted the same in the 14500 and the others agreed. That was the beginning of the SS/Cu sets. A set of lights with lots of bling but very usable.

In showing my samples around, the guys often reached for the full size unit while the girls just adored the Cu X5 and would always state that it is the perfect purse accessory. I knew it was going to be a hit from the get-go but never once imagined that a lady would tell her husband that the cost of these lights was a good buy and that she wanted the Cu X5 for herself. Wow! After all of the weird looks there were some women that actually liked what we were doing.

Now JonnyMac gets his T01 sample from Manker and it was jam up impressive. He liked the T01 reflector so much that you know it ended up in the X5.

Then comes our Sorceress TK - with gifts. Unknown to us, she had been diligently working on the firmware for the Attiny25 (currently being tested in our samples). We knew she was going to but never thought she would be anywhere near ready. Talk about firmware! This thing has so many available configuration options and not just mode levels. Thermal regulation, quantity of levels, a safe muggle mode, memory on/off, and more. All without picking up a soldering iron or even attaching to the computer. No other light in production has ever gone this far....only custom high dollar units.

Why is this important?

The answer is simple.

Sooner or later everything comes to an end and the end is near for the serialized lights. Unless Kronos comes out with X5v3 with an MTG2 ...... These lights will not be produced again. This is not marketing hype. These serialized sets are not open-ended.

Yesterday I received my samples.

• The bling is blinding! The Cu X5 is so pretty I do not even want to touch it. The SS just gives the impression of "gonna last forever" with a touch of glistening copper.
  • The fit and finish on these things is great!
  • Load 'em with batteries (30Q's and RMM's Windy's) and here come the tail lights. PD and company did a great job. I love those little lights considering that I am always reaching in the dark. The SS/Cu do not lock out but I do not care of I have recharge every now and then and when I use the SS for working tasks around the house I am recharging anyway. The AL lockout fine but again a null issue for me because when riding in the car tonight I was easily able to find the baby X5 lying in the console. For those that do not like the lighted cap....you can cut the LED out or install a new switch.
  • Turn 'em on and you are listening to the Beatles and "here comes the sun"....coming from my neighbors house! They are that freaken bright! The A6 had the output but it did not have the reflector or XPL-Hi. That's why through the window right into the neighbor's house...with the blinds closed. (Seriously true....neighbor woke thinking morning was coming). This XPL-Hi throws like hell. I was not originally sold on it but JM kept on and I am glad he did. In the X5, with the T01 reflector, it is simply amazing.
  • The SS was throwing me for a loop because it would step down immediately after reaching level 6. I thought it was driver issue but Dale told me to set the thermal regulation. I read TK's instructions and using the same format as her A6 firmware it was easy. All is good!

Kronos, TK, Dale, JM, Neal, and yes even Manker....have all put their heads together on this one! As I said, these things are not home runs...they are GRAND SLAMS!!!

The AL units perform just as the SS/Cu units. There is no way, no how (unless one buys a lathe) that any of these can be had for the asking price. I am glad that I am on the list for several. What I am asking myself is "how many do I keep? One set is just not gonna be enough".

Remember...then end of signing up is coming and production will commence....very soon! I may not be able to afford a HyperLux but I am sure glad that I can these ;)

Oh man… after reading such an awesome writeup from bugsy, I have to ask for

1 more SS/Cu NW please

1 x ss/cu set in cw ,Thanks

Thank you for providing us with some perspective on the project, George!

And thank you to ToyKeeper, Kronological, JohnnyMac, DB Custom (aka Dr. FrankenDale), Neal, Manker, Wight, Ahirshy, and anyone else who may have had a hand in these innovative and beautiful custom-designed flashlights. :slight_smile:

G'Day Krono,

Please put me down for 1 more set of Al/Al NW

Thank you Very Much,

Best Regards,

George

Guys, sorry for yet another question. Looking at the sign up list, it looks like there are going to be three tints, CW, NW and WW. True or false? Thanks.

I'm on the list for one SS/Cu set and one Al/Al set, but without tint preference yet. I just noticed that there's no tint specification in the OP yet. If the option for 5-ish tint will be available (or even warmer, 6A1 80CRI is my favorite Cree tint) I would like both sets in 5* tint. Perhaps even a higher CRI will be possible? (I can always ask ).

Further down the OP:

Important: Once the final specs on the light are approved, the lights will go into production. Shortly thereafter, each person added to the interest list will be PM’d a special code to have access to the Group Buy. You will not get the code unless your name is on the list! To get your name added to the interest list, (please don’t PM me!) simply post the following information in this thread:

1) SS/Copper (SS/Cu) or Aluminum (Al) set.
2) Tint (WW,NW or CW).
3) Quantities.

Note: There are TWO lists for each version/set. Lights will not be sold separately…only as a set.

Aha, reading is fundamental. Thanks.

OK, late to the party, as usual but…

Put me down for an Al set in NW!

Thanks.

…wife’s gonna kill me…

Hello, apparently my post #1493 got overlooked for the list. Please put me down for both sets in NW. Also, I would like to add both sets in CW.
So:
SS/CU NW
AL NW
SS/CU CW
AL CW

Ok, since I asked a few times and my question was overlooked. It’s safe to assume, a simple switch out of the tail cap is no longer possible because of the design of the light. And a spare switch will not be included, like Johnny Mac said many pages ago. You need to modify the tailcap itself, to disable the lit tailcap and it’s parasitic drain. If no one corrects me, I’ll just assume this.

Yes, take out the switch board, clamp the resistors (or the leds for that matter) in your pliers, twist them off, no soldering needed (but not reversable this way of course, the solder pads will go as well)

So you basically have to break them off? You can not just replace the switch with a non lighted version. Got it. Thanks so much for clarifying that!

You can also replace the switch, but you need a new switch for that and the stock switch with broken-off components is just fine, and better than a standard replacement because Pilotdog68's switch-board design has more high current capable traces and via's than a standard replacement switch.

(personally I would just wipe the resistors off with my solder iron, but there's folks out there with a fear of soldering)

Ok thanks!

Also, neither I nor Djozz (I think) is actually involved in the hidden magic of this groupbuy. Everything he said is true, but I think the reason your question wasn’t answered was possibly that the powers-that-be don’t know yet. I believe they are trying to get normal replacement switches included.

I completely understand pilotdog. I am perfectly happy with an “I don’t know.” I like it much better than patiently asking a question, and it feel like it was being ignored. I am sure that was not the case though.

One more set of AL in NW
Thanks!

Keith