Bruiser-9000, 9000 lumens, 110+ watts

I have Wayne’s edc-xml-r and it is a tank. Top notch all around. I cant wait to see where this goes!

Bruiser-9000 looks like a barbel that I would like to exercise my arm muscles. :davie:

I have a firesword and a bruiser and neither would be considered throwers. But they are quite bright and will light up a whole room with a whole lot of light. This light would be more than both of those together.

I didnt see a price anywhere for this but if $300 is really it that is practically a give away. Making a custom light from tip to tail is a lot of work, especially one this size.

The beam is 19 degrees, so it would be classified on the floody side. It will still have decent throw, but not like a super narrow 4 - 6 degrees beam will. At 9000 lumens, a narrow beam is only good for one thing, well, 3 things: 1) seeing off far in the distance 2) blinding someone 3) impressing friends with how far it throws. More reasons than that probably, but the point is, a wider beam at this level of brightness is more useful for more purposes, including: 1) Seeing things in the distance (but not as far as a narrow beam) 2) Blinding someone 3) impressing friends with how bright it is, etc etc etc :slight_smile:

Wayne

While it's certainly not a thrower, the Bruiser does have some throw to it. It's easily on par with most shallow reflector XML lights.

Any chance you're going to release a different tailcap for the bruiser with a lower power mode built in?

46 posts and not one beamshot!!!

I was wondering when someone was going to mention this? :open_mouth: When I get the new body completed with the two switches, I’ll take some high and low power setting beam shots. :slight_smile:

Elektro

Some photos of the actual build might be nice too.

Elektro

Okay, I’ll post a pic of a longer body for the Bruiser-9000, let me know what you think?

Wayne

I’ll take it!

Hah. I will though. Need a reviewer?

Looks awesome.

I think it looks great! What would the low mode be like? 1000-500 lumens?

Can you add size info, or even easier, just have something in the picture that's of a known size like a 22650?

Low mode might be 500 to 1000 lumens, whatever.

Wayne

The bare, empty host looks like the petrified skeleton of some gloriously ancient, long-extinct leviathan.
Love it.

Why not make it 4 or 5 x 26650 for added runtime?
Could you get away with 8 or 10 18650s?

is the extended one the only way u can have two modes?

It’s a matter of matching the voltage to the LEDs. I wire them 3 in parallel, 3 sets of 3 in series. 9 18650’s will work, 3 in parallel, 3 sets in series, that would make this a 9 LED Kong, make it extremely more work to make, and cost a lot more. The 3 batteries simplify things. Most of the time you would probably use low mode, and run time, depending on power level would be from 1 to 3 hours, high power setting would be from 20 minutes to 30 minutes, depending on battery capacity.

Wayne

Surely there are other ways, but, we’re talking 110 watts here, and it’s not as easy as with lower power levels. Another way I thought of, but very costly, is to use relay switches, then, the on/off switch does not carry the load, and that would open up possibilities, but would be more complex and costly. A multi level circuit for 110 watts and 10 amps would have to be huge and have huge cooling ability, and not so practical.

A two switch settup is actually very useful, and, you always know what power level is going to be selected.

The longer design, to me, makes it not so much like a Big Bruiser, but does make it more useful, as many have pointed out to me.

Wayne

Frankly, I am excited about this new 9000 lumen light. I have no use for low mode as there are plenty of torches that can serve this function without taking on extra weight. I am all for the regular, shorter body 3 x 26650 single mode light without having to chalk up extra costs. Keeping it simple I guess, and with better equilibrium, without being too head heavy.