Budget Deals. X8 clone $15 (got it today)

The T13 pill is integrated, and a side-clicky in there too. The DRY doesn’t need a lot of room, it might work. IF the pill will take a 21mm driver. as an 18650 light, this may not be the case. A pic of the driver end, and up inside would give an idea.
IMO, the MT-G2 works well in the T08 reflector. More throw and wider spill than the UltraFire X8 clone (it has a narrow, deep reflector). It’s shorter and offers better heatsinking too.
Both builds are good, but my nod goes to the T08, if you have to choose.

What about CNQG's X8 host? $19 (+shipping). Is this a better guarantee of the better pill?

-Garry

There you go! That’s the one I would buy and you can always ask Ric and make sure it comes as pictured.

This looks like the ‘good’ reflector.

Good find Garry, CNQG has what appears to be the good host. Pill screws into reflector, screws into body.
EFest has the reflector too. Too bad it doesn’t come with the pill.

Credit goes to a gords1001 post.

-Garry

So I soldered a 0.1 Ohm resistor in line with the led on my X8. This is the one that I added 6x .5R resistors to the sense to bring the tail cap current up to 2.67A

I measured a 0.4V drop using my Harbor Freight cheapy. Resistor was gold, so 5% accuracy.

Led current should be at 4 amps, or factoring accuracy of the resistor, 3.8-4.2 Amps. That puts the driver at 75% efficiency…… Not too bad for what it is (cheap junk).

Unless I messed up my calculations, which is very possible :stuck_out_tongue:

Garry, Here’s a new post from RaceR86 about the T13 with an MT-G2, looks good :beer:

I got mine today and it appears identical to yours. Mine pulls .92A on two Sanyo 2600s at about 4.06 volts. Different seller but the same artwork and descriptions. The pill is only held in place on that thin little ledge by pressure from the reflector. I'll have to improve heat transfer to the body before I try to up the current by modding the driver. Too bad, because I really like the glossy finish on the anno - it feels good in the hand.

Don’t know if you saw my post on the previous page, but I located what looks to be the proper reflector

I’ve sent the seller a message & are awaiting a reply.

This should be the solution for those who ended up with the same reflector as mine, otherwise, get your light from FF as Garry pointed out…. I wish I had have seen it there first.

Nice find FmC. Please keep us posted. Looks like I will be needing one of those too.

I had no reply from the Ali dealer, & I’d rather just a ‘click & buy’ process, so after further searching, I found another supplier & placed an order .

http://www.powerwholesale.net/x8-t6-led-flashlight-smo-reflector-p-1882.html

…edit… Ok, we can forget that one - they wanted almost $9US postage…. cancelled & still looking…

Thank you FmC. Got the X8 today. It has the tall narrow pill and thin aluminum reflector. Went ahead and ordered on reflector from the vendor in your last post. Not sure I will be able to use it though. Don’t I also need a matching pill?

Yea I can't see how the reflector would fit but what do i know.I received mine today,I pretty much got what everybody else got. I added fujik , some O Rings and crammed as much foil into the gap between to pill and the head. I am getting good heat transfer

Yep good heat transfer for me now too. I folded sheets of foil carefully squeegeed out any wrinkles and jammed them in one at a time packing in as much as possible while trying to keep as much air out as possible. I’m not overdriving the MG-T2 I have in it with the DRY driver so it does get hot but not uncomfortably so. I’m actually really happy with my mod. $40 total for a good light that competes with a SRK in a small package with better tint. Nice walking light.

There’s no guarantee that reflector will fit, but to me it looks like the correct one, which will screw into the pill we already have.

I’m tossing up whether to get the reflector which will cost me about $15AU, or get another complete host from CNQG for a few dollars more.

I might go for option ‘B’, as that would also give me the option of a 3*18650 with the extra tube :slight_smile:

The pill for the ones sold by aliexpress in the first post are not threaded for a reflector. They are different from yours.

That sucks for those who ended up with that pill. In my searching, I came across a few suppliers who had a complete X8 drop-in (screw-in) assembly (‘good’ reflector, brass pill, XML, & ‘3A’ driver) for a little over $20 shipped.

I am Ok with the light I got what I paid for (Alli Express One).

Now, I am thinking I want a real X8 for a NW XML2 swap is there one that has a good driver not next mode memory? I can replace the emitters but are a little wary on replacing the drivers.

FT and ManaFont have some but I am not sure how well driven they are.

So I mentioned I had added a stock of r500’s resistors to mine to bring the current draw up to ~3 amps.

I received an MT-G2 today from IO, and slapped it in. ~3.22 Amps tail current draw.