Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available

Maybe we need a “General Public” warning. This light is not for “General Public” use, anyone who is irresponsible, drunk, likes to turn on lithium powered lights and leave them, children, older people with memory problems or circulatory problems, all can cause problems with this light and the D80. ALL high A drivers can cause burns if you leave them on without heatsinking them to your hand for a significant time and then pick them up.

This all varies by ambient temperature of course: I tested my new BLF D80 with a Samsung 25R, it runs turbo mode at about 4.3A according to my crappy DMM at 74 degree ambient temperature it got hot enough in constant turbo to be somewhat painful, so that I would have to move hand contact around a bit. I tested it the next night continuous running at about 67 degrees and making more hand contact with the head, and its nice and toasty only. YOU have to be smart with these lights running high A, you are the “driver” and you can use the tool to run onto the sidewalk and run into people (or start a fire), or you can keep the car on the road and stop when the traffic light is red (and use the flashlight like a flashlight, and turn it down if it gets too hot for you)…

Hand contact is HUGE. You are a massive water cooled circulatory heatsink! If you keep your hand on the light, the D80 should not get hotter than uncomfortable under normal circumstances, the A6 should not either if you don’t keep hitting turbo over and over and let the timer time out turbo. The only small light I have not been able to successfully heat sink constant turbo (without burning myself) is my XPL triple at 6A, I haven’t gotten my A6 yet, but if you are smart about it and aren’t really heat sensitive, I bet you could deal with a constant turbo on this until the battery drains enough for it not to matter. Or, you could set it on a table and keep hitting turbo till something burns out or it starts a fire if you wanted to be destructive…

Another analogy might be, in the car comparison, how far will your car go if you mash the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there? Will it run out of gas first? (battery life) or will the engine blow up? (overheat)

The hot rod flashlight can be thought of in terms similar to a hot rod car. It has the potential to self destruct and it’s up to the user to keep that from happening. If you have a 700HP drag car, do you toss the keys to your 16 yr old son and say “have fun”? Don’t toss one of these lights to someone not well versed in their use.

We, as flashaholics, have the responsibility to ensure the dangerous toys in our keep are respected. If that means 1 minute at a time, then that’s what it means.

Is there any advantage to soldering a solid copper plug to the driver in place of a bypassed spring? Or does the light not draw enough to make a difference? The only downside I can think of is that some protected batteries may not fit depending on the size of the plug.

Lower resistance in the circuit in a DD driven light with a led with this high Vf will always get more output. But it would most likely be a very tiny gain if you already have done the spring & pcb bypass.

I know brass have been used with worse result than a well bypassed spring, but maybe a copper one could be better.

Or just a piece of properly sized/shaped copper tube.
But, the spring is there to help prevent shock/breaking the driver if the light drops.

Tom E, I beg to differ regarding your statement: "Electricity takes the least resistance path, so doesn't matter"

Electricity will flow via all available paths, but more current will flow via the lower resistance path.

Best Regards,

George

I found results along these lines when trying to max out turbo on the FET+1 driver. I found that running full-throttle on the FET by itself produced more lumens than full-throttle on both the FET and the 7135 chip together.

But the difference was fairly small, and I doubt it’d be noticeable on a spring bypass.

I always do spring bypasses. If there’s not much to be gained I’ll just do that for this light.

Thank

I have some lights with a solid driver post but I haven’t dropped them to see if the matters :slight_smile:

Yes, a Rocher I bought has the solid button. Seems nicer than a spring. So, what is it really going to matter unless you’re practicing bull riding at night.

Will the switch stand up to the currents if this is modded further with spring bypass etc? I want this light to serve me EDC for years to come although I guess full blown turbo will be a tiny fraction of overall use. I’m sure it’s not too hard to change out if it fails but a failure might be a real pain until that can be done, reliability is key for EDC.

From memory, if you go back in this thread about 2-3 days, you will find Dale's statement that the switch will be OK.

But if you go above about 6-7 Amps, then you may have problems with the pcb trace which may eventually fail (depending on how high is the current).

So in that case do the tail spring bypass connection directly to the switch terminal thus bypassing the pcb.

Best Regards,

George

Just bypass the spring at the switch the way Dr.FrankenDale does it. It hurts nothing but the extra insurance that you will not burn a trace is worth the effort.

Good to hear, great knowledge on this forum :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t do it because as it is the current is way more than enough even for turbo. It’s suggested that use turbo briefly.

A point to ponder, for those worried about TOO MUCH current flow and damages to the switch, LED, etc.

If your hot rod will do 6.7Amps and produce 1800 lumens with the top LG HE-4 cell fully charged, remember that pulling 6700mA through a cell rated 2500mAh will reduce the current flow in a linear drop as the light is used. In other words, it won’t be pulling 6.7A for very long, the available current will fall as the cell drains.

You can also control that by using a lesser cell. A Panasonic BD will allow quite good current flow and output, without quite getting into that realm of imminent self-destruction. So it’s up to you, the user, to know and understand your tool, it’s available fuel supply, and how it will react in different conditions.

I did a test with the Lucky Sun D80 Group Buy light using 15 different cells of varying performance capability. For those of you not reading the D80 Group Buy thread, I present this table so you can see how various cells act in a small high performance flashlight.

I had a full-up modded SupFire M6, does bout 5000 lumens @30 secs, high amp 2500 cells (4), and had it wrapped up in a small towel in a carry case - went on, hi I suspect, for a good 35 minutes or so. Burned in 3 LED images into the towel, could barely touch the switch quickly to turn it off it was so scalding hot. Had to let it sit for a good 45-60 minutes before I could even touch it. So, no fire, no damage - even the cells survived fine.

Yes,

But you do good work, Tom :wink:

Not everyone’s light would have made it.

-Chuck

Tom, I really mean no disrespect, but come on now!

1st… Why on earth didn’t you lock it out? I would think you’d know better, of all people! E-switch lights are very dangerous for this very reason, too easily engaged.

2nd… I’ve had my own similarly set up M6 burn holes in the acetate lining in my coat pocket in 3 seconds, so even IF you didn’t get a fire here, it’s only because you were fortunate, blessed and the flashlight god’s were on duty. Thank God you weren’t hurt!

3rd… I’ve roasted a flashlight in the oven at 600 degrees for over an hour, baking it from black to a vibrant orange, and it didn’t take it 45 minutes to cool down completely so I could disassemble it. So your cooling times there look exaggerated, I wasn’t there so I don’t know of course, but at the very least those cells should be disposed of due to the abuse they’ve seen. They will be much more likely to go pyro in the future, and you should play it safe. In a situation like this, it would be paramount to use gloves, pull the cells from the light, so they can cool as quickly as possible. One weak cell, that’s all it takes. One positive wire de-soldering under heat and flopping over to the flashlight body, grounding out the entire battery… surely y’all see how easily things can go horribly wrong.

4th… My own M6, equipped with Samsung 25R button tops, won’t run anywhere near dangerous levels for 35 minutes. It’s that first couple of minutes of the high power, while the cells still have it, that does the damage. After that the light is on a downward spiral in output and current draw, as are all of these linear driven hot rods. Turbo timeout in the first 30-60 seconds means it will not be on it’s highest settings very long in a situation like this.

5th… Everyone, Tom was trying to make a point here that it’s not a given things will go as wrong as they possibly can. That being said, he got very lucky and no one was hurt. Different cells in the light or a slightly different set of parameters elsewhere and things could have gone very differently, including the high possibility of people getting seriously hurt. Consider, if this “bag” had started fire, laying in the rear floorboard of the car as you drove… the car would have caught fire and Tom would have been lucky to get out alive, a flaming car could have killed others as well. My point is that we need to TRY to prevent the absolute worst case scenario, even while hoping for the best.

People that are new to this hobby need to be careful what they assume. These lights and the cells they use ARE DANGEROUS! Tom got lucky here, it should be obvious, but I urge y’all to not leave your lives and the lives of those around you to dumb luck. Leave the cells out of a light in transit, lock it out, or simply place a plastic disc between the springs and the cells to disrupt power. It really is true, the old saying… “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Again, Tom, I do not intend disrespect, but noobs can easily take your picture and words wrong and be far too lax in the safety department. 100 safe accidents do not even come close to atoning for one death, one disfigured member of this forum due to fire. Please everyone, be careful!

Good post DB. I gift AA stock lights, and keep the powerhouses for myself.

I'm pretty new to this forum, but have been modding and building lights for years. Put myself down for one of these M-A6's today.

~Daniel