Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

LOL. Sorry, I was just having a bit of fun and messing with PilotDog. I know the model naming is a bit confusing. I’ll try to work with Simon on addressing that at some point but one step at a time. There is no new version of the L2 coming out anytime soon. The first L6 sample will be in Simon’s hands soon though. Just be thankful the L6 wasn’t just referred to as the bigger L2 with the side switch and an XHP70! :wink: The next thing to happen to the L2 will probably be the clear anodized version. Oh and Simon is having brass ring adapters made to use a 17mm driver in the larger driver cavity of the current L2 hosts. 17mm drivers seem much more common and I’ve seen a few people mention trying to find an adapter that would fit under the driver retaining ring so I asked Simon to make some. I’ll let you guys know when it’s available.

I wouldn’t call it outdated but yeah it is one version back. The only real difference is the 1 or 2 cell option included in the new model. If you wanted a 2 cell configuration Simon sells the 2 cell tube with two different knurling styles but it would require a different driver. Your driver only supports a single cell. That’s a sloppy solder job on that spring and I agree with PilotDog that the spring looks a little big (diameter-wise) for the driver. I’ll take a look inside mine this weekend and see if that’s a different spring. Yours looks a bit chewed up on the inside too. Was that your doing or did it arrive like that?

Thanks J-dub74 for the clarification, so powerwise (Candela/lux Count) there is no difference between the two drivers when equipped with an XP-L HI led like mine is? I´m not interested in two cell Operation anyway cause i really like the stubby one cell look and Operation. It´s a “fun” light for me anyway since I don´t really have a use for a pure thrower.

The inside is probably been scratched because I unscrewed the tube from the head end several times now, and the end of the tube thread seems to scratch the inside when tightening. I resoldered the spring now (and bybassed the spring just in case) and it works, the spring bottom really fills the whole inner circle completely.

Just out of curiosity: can you point me to the place where I can buy the latest Version of the L2 (non host, ready made)? I didn´t manage to find it via google.

Thanks,
K.

No problem. The power level and lumen output is the same in both versions. Both drivers run 3A on high and function is nearly identical. For anything Convoy in your case I would go directly to Simon’s Convoy store on Aliexpress. That way you are always guaranteed the real thing and of course the latest. There are also typically a nice selection of different emitters and sometimes driver configuration options too. In the case of the L2 though the only extra options are the three different driver tints. It’s linked in the OP too but here is the Convoy Store

Thanks again J-Dub74! One last question: which driver version does my model have (i can´figure out the number written on the driver, LDxx) and what size does it have (17mm?) Can the replacement driver mentioned by thijsco19 in Convoy L2...Guess who's back??? - #1100 by thijsco19 be used if I ever wanted to tune that baby and can the LED be fired with the max of 5.5 A in this light?

K.

It should have the LD25 driver which is a 17mm driver.
If you want to keep it as a single cell light you can either use a fet driver to get the maximum output the cell can deliver. Or use a linear driver suchs as the Qlite driver (with increased number of 7135’s) or the LD-2 driver .
Remember if you are going to increase the current to the led, the led should be mounted on a copper board. A aluminium board isn’t going to work with higher currents than 3A.

But if you going to use 2 cells (the existing 2 cell tubes will fit you light), you could use that driver (the mtn-max buck driver).

hi, i have just modd the l2 and c8, only one problem with the xpl on the l2 just normally it isn’t focused for the height between the xpl and the reflector base obviousely i can put the xml and resolve the problem, what you council?

The joy of modding! :slight_smile:

If you are switching to a different mcpcb and emitter, it might be necessary to make further adjustments to reach optimum potential. The emitter can be shimmed on the mcpcb to raise it into the reflector, the entire mcpcb can be raised with a copper disc underneath, or modifications can be made to the relationship between the reflector and head to lower the reflector. There are issues involved whichever method is utilized, details that make it a challenge and the end result more prideful. :wink:

Happy modding!

PS: Yes, the emitter itself can be placed on strips of copper between it and the mcpcb, raising it off the base to gain height. This is not commonly done, but is not as difficult as it might seem and is really the easiest way, gaining clearance on the electrical leads instead of reducing it. :wink: I have found the use of thin strips of aluminum between the strips of copper help reduce the chance of shorting out the contacts to the thermal pad when raising the emitter in this way. Look at the issue at hand, figure out a way to get around it. Accept the challenge. :slight_smile:

ok is a good way, infact with the xpl the l2 just not explain all her capacity to be perfect……i see with the measure with calipers that the xpl is under the base of the reflector for 2.3-2.5 mm about and this is a huge penality if we think to the best fashlight that it is….i m just very happy so for the l2 so for the c8, but i want so maintain the reliability of the light to keep the led on a solid copper pcb, so if we use a more thickness will be so more reliable and adjust this little gap….i want try this way…

As much as I love my L2 with it’s MT-G2 emitter, I have to say that the Jax X6 Hunter bests it at it’s own game. When I first built the Jax with an MT-G2 the focus was off, a dark center kept it from being what I expected it to be. Tonight I rebuilt it and got the focus right and it really shines!

I got 4 of the big Basen 26650’s today so I wanted to really put em to the test, so I tried em in the Convoy L2 MT-G2 and then again in the X6 Hunter after re-defining it. How about 4071 lumens in the Convoy, and a whopping 4571 lumens in the Jax! The Efest 4200mAh Purple 26650 falls just short, by about 50 lumens in each light.

Wow!

How about you find a Jax X6 Hunter thread to post this in. :stuck_out_tongue: :-x :wink:

Hahahaha, truth is what truth is. I love my L2, no bones about it. It’s a different category of light, smaller, lighter, but still substantial and packing 4000 lumens. The real upshot of my previous post is that the Basen 26650 in 4500mAh capacity seems to be the new top dawg in the large cell department.

FWIW, my Convoy L2 has an A17DD-S08 driver with the Vishay SIR800DP FET, the Jax X6 Hunter has an older two sided board design from Wight with the large Vishay 07N02 FET. So the drivers are substantially different, as are the reflector designs.

There was a lot said about legoability of battery tubes between these lights, but mine do not swap over. The L2 battery tube will not fit the Jax head. The Jax tube, however, does thread onto the L2 head. I personally like the style of the L2 and it’s block knurling pattern. The head’s more compact nature makes it easier to carry as well. The slightly smaller reflector has a bit larger hot spot with the fat MT-G2, but side by side the output’s of the 2 are pretty comparable. Convoy wins by a pretty good margin when it comes to money spent.

At the end of the day, I really favor the single cell variant of the L2. I tend to lean towards a smaller light anyway, and with the short tube the aesthetics are very appealing.

Can’t deny though that it’s impressive as all get out that the Jax X6 Hunter makes over 4500 lumens from the MT-G2. Surprises me, my Solarforce M8 (a long time standing favorite) only made 4300 with direct drive no driver set-up back when Samsung 20R’s were king.

Fuji or Honeycrisp, it’s still apples to apples and both are lusciously sweet! :slight_smile:

:smiley: Dale buddy your input is always valued.
I’m more of a Northern Spy man myself. :wink:

modd finished, now there’inst nobody black hole on the spot! im very fine, i put one pcb led base polished and all good, with right thermal paste and his screw on place, now where i can find the original lens of reflector ar coated? on convoy store i can’t tru foe the l2 of 60-58mm lens…moreover the lens that i see are 1.6mm of tickness but the original is about 3mm tickness….

bushcraft, I ordered a 2.25mm thick UCLp from flashlightlens.com, haven’t gotten it yet but I’ve used them a lot and it’s the clearest lens possible.

The UCL and UCLp are the only AR coated lenses I’ve seen that virtually disappear when laid down on a white sheet of typing paper. Big name brand lights with their supposed top-of-the-line coatings appear yellow doing this test, and I’ve replaced them every time with the UCLp. Olight, Fenix, Nitecore, Sunwayman, all of em. (I have UCLp’s for MagLite, Convoy, and Jax on the way now)

The smaller lenses they have in the UCL which is a glass lens, the UCLp is an acrylic plastic which is of course more prone to scratches in hard use scenario’s. I’ve been using these for quite a while now and have had no issues. In some lights, the difference in output (lumens OTF) is astonishing! If I recall correctly, I saw a 27Kcd difference in a MaxToch thrower, this after modifying the light… a serious gain for $7!

(I have a box full of glass and plastic lenses removed from lights, don’t even want to think about what that translates to in mod costs)

PS: Absolutely adore a Washington Red Delicious. :wink:

I will check with Simon on the lenses. He may have had them made already but not listed them. I’ll find out from Simon and they should be available soon in the Convoy store. Dale’s suggestion of ordering from flashlightlens.com is also a great choice. I have a few of their lenses and they are the best I’ve ever seen…or “not seen”. The UCL and UCLp are ridiculously clear and probably the best lenses you can buy. Simon’s are quite good too and will cost less but the choice is yours. As soon as I have a link to the AR coated L2 lens I’ll post it in this thread and add it to the OP.

Hi.
I have three flashlights,(well,with the old Led lenser P7,count four),ie,one Olight SR52-UT,one BLF A6,and one Astrolux S1,to give to my nephew as a gift.
If I change glass lenses to Ar coated you say , from flashlightlens.com,would they gain something?

Well, I got some of my ordered UCLp in today and the Jax X6 Hunter gained right at 100 lumens by swapping in the lens. My recently chopped and triple XP-L MagLite ML25LT gained almost 200 lumens, just by replacing the lens.

So it is going to depend on just how bad the lens was to begin with. My Convoy L2 with XP-L HI barely gained anything, so Simons lens is indeed a pretty nice AR coating.

Edit: Just got cells charged back up in my newish Solarstorm SP-03. This one has Richards big SRK driver, added chips, de-domed stock emitters and a massive copper pill. It was making 3726 lumens this morning, the addition of a crystal clear UCLp lens just now lets it hit 3939.9 lumens. Again, substantial gains for a lens swap.

Now that is really nice to hear. :slight_smile:
When Simon finally agreed to create AR coated lenses I sent him as much info as I could on the best I could find including descriptive info from what was posted about the UCL lenses. He was impressed and told me he would study it carefully. This is the first I’ve heard any report based on actual use of the Convoy AR coated lens. I didn’t kid myself that he would be able to recreate the perfection of the UCL/UCLp lenses but your opinion means a great deal to me. Thank you for posting that Dale. :beer:

For authenticity sake…

Yesterday when I got the Basen cells I charged them and tried the L2 MT-G2 with the cells straight off my Enova charger. It read 4071 lumens. So this evening I charged the cells back up on the same charger and ran it again with the UCLp in place. As of a few minutes ago it read 4253.85 lumens, a net gain of 182.85 lumens.

A gain from the UCLp but not a huge one.