Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Good, something like….5000k 3b…thats with the L2 AR glass, the tintis very very close to Astrolux 3B

And you can drive it quite hard this way

Unfortunately, neutral XHP tints do suffer from the same issue that XPL Hi has, burning near the bond wires when hard pushed…discovered this the hard way though…

I have 6 XHP35 lights 5 are running at or just over 3amps no-problemo! In the Giga thread that de-domed XHP35 that I posted with all the pics is still running strong at 2.8+ amps in the TN42, my brother uses it almost every day, he lives out in the country, he scans his 500 yard plus perimeter with it, so it will be a true test of the longevity! :wink:

I’ve been absent for some time… all this talk about XHP35’s… which drivers do you use? I presume 4 x 23650? Does XHP35 use the same LED spacers as XML, thus, are there bases the same size?

I did a test yesterday for another (rather extreme) project I have been thinking about and ran an XHP35 hi (thanks KB for some of these I don’t have to worry about killing :wink: ) for over an hour solid at 3A and ~45W output with temps on the heatsink sitting at around 160f. It worked just fine at the end of the test.

I really like my XHP35 L2. Larger hotspot then my XP-L HI version, almost twice the output and a bit further throw. I would really love to see it in an L6 host.

I did build a 4x 26650 L2 and while it was a good modern maglight replacement it was just too long to be much good for much else. I now use 26*3*50’s to power it in a normal 2 cell tube.

For the driver I am using a normal TA driver without the 7135’s in FET only mode with the max duty limited to something like 70% IIRC in order to keep the max current down. A normal old school FET only driver will work fine as well but I like bistro.

The XHP35 is a 3535 LED so it uses the same spacers and MCPCB’s as the XP series. I use the convoy provided spacer and a 20mm XP star.

Yeah, pretty sure that’s the newest one. Check out the most recent posts in M4D M4X’s thread. :beer:

Thanks gchart :wink:

Thanks for the info Texas_Ace. Am I hearing you right here, XP series, not XM series? Thus, the XHP35’s base is the same size as an XP-G2? If so, really quite crazy! I presume its something in the line of 4 x XP-G dies joined together in series? Thus, if you guys drive this at 3 amps it means each die sees 3 amps, yes? According to djozz’s test of the XP-G2 S4 its does around 1000 lumens @ 3amps. This should add up to around 4000 lumens on an XHP35, which I presume is more than what you guys get? Is my thinking correct here?

Regarding the driver, sorry what do you mean by TA? Are these zener modded drivers?

Yes, the XHP35 is a 4x XP-E sized dies and is in a XP footprint. They are have the XHP50 good for ~4000 lumens (and xhp50.2) that is XM sized and uses XP-G3 dies and the XHP70 that is even larger and uses XM-L2 dies and is good for 6000-7000 lumens.

The XHP30 maxes out around 2500-3000 lumens depending on the LED.

The TA drivers are the Texas Avenger series of drivers, see my sig for more info. They come in both zener and LDO options.

Thanks Texas Ace :+1: Dammit, this is quite Awesome. According to your comments, compared to XML/XPL based LEDs, double the output and marginally further throw. Should be quite interesting modding some 4 cell 18650 tube lights like the Supfire M6 and L1. Will obviously have to mod the battery setup to be in series.

You guys are not worried about the potential problems / dangers of batteries in series?

Just another question, how difficult is it to dedome the XHP35 HD leds? Does gas dedome work?

:question: There is a separate version of the XHP35 without dome called XHP35 Hi… why risk an ugly tint or destroyed LED with manual dedoming?

K.

Also the XHP50/70 are available in 6V models that work with 2 cells in series.

As far as the cells being in series being a safety issue. That is really a non-issue for flashlights, it never was an issue.

Since we recharge the cells individually they will always be balanced and with matching cells they simply won’t get far enough unbalanced in a single charge to be an issue. Even if they did the worst thing that would happen is you reduce the lifespan of a cell. Cells in series is by far the better setup for any light that has multiple cells.

I built an XHP50 8x skyray king awhile back and it makes 17k lumens at turn on while trying to reduce current as much as possible due to heat.

Manual dedoming has valuable gains, as mentioned by Mitko earlier…

EDIT: I’m aware of the XHP50/70 leds. Not too fond of them because of the die size, not good for throw, and also the black center hole they create, does not work well in SMO reflectors. Thats what makes the XHP35 so Awesome, the die size. Would have been great if CREE could have maneuvered a 6V version :wink:

The XHP50.2 looks very promising in that respect. While the die size is still large from the beatshots that we have seen so far it doesn’t have the donut hole issue and since it is using 4 XP-G3 dies it should be capable of some serious output.

I want to get my hands on one of these.

I prefer the 26500’s over the 26350’s myself! Or just the K70 4S carrier in my SD75’s,TK61 and TN42’s!

20+ percent gain in throw, yeah I’ll take it! :+1: Specially in a TN42 jacked up to 2.8amps!

I use MTN 3amp 4S e-switch buck drivers (2) stashed and the now extinct :cry: LD-2 M2, at 3amp (dual switch ability) lucky I horded a few extra (3) as back ups just in case! :wink:

Come on Neven hurry up with the LD-3 M2!!! :smiley:

What’s the output on the tn42 now ?

yet another L2 made today with this E4 1A dded

The XHP dome is strange, has some kind of ” layers” and i had to apply med benzine several times via drop on the dome method
Th another strange thing is that LD 51 is actualy 2.5 amps capable on a relatively long term base, yet the weather is cold now and the body is always cold as s stone