Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

On my modded L2 old new style, ahh, new old style -- (this is so confusing...), I re-measured the throw at 10 meters outdoors and it bumped up from 282 kcd to 292 kcd (1081 meters) .

Ok, it's the square patterned tube, new L2 rev 1? It's got a de-domed XM-L2 U4 1C, 5.34A tail reading, DD FET driver, UCLp lens.

I think we need some version controls.

That’s not exactly what I was expecting.

I thought it was going to be like the previous version which has just sold out which had the block style knurling plus an additional 2 cell tube which also would have the block style knurling, I’m sure that’s what was implied?

I’m disappointed.

I remember it was said earlier they were using an extension, and that it was going to be a problem to have the blocks on the extension line up perfectly, so they went with the rings to make sure it looked cohesive with the extension attached. I believe the L6 is going to have blocks though, right JDub?

Stupid question, with this new version can I either use 1 or 2 cells with this driver?

The discount is still extended to all BLF members but it’s not a code. You add it to your cart click the option to pay which establishes an order number but do not pay yet. At this point send a message to Simon, wait for him to adjust the price. Then you pay.

According to Simon's listing of this L2, he says 1 or 2 cells, and his description of the included driver, the LD-29 here: aliexpress.com-LDCH-LD29, says it will work with 1 or 2 cells.

I recall the problem of the knurling not lining up if there was going to be a single cell extension but I thought the way around that was to supply the L2 with the single cell tube and a 2 cell tube which I thought was also going to have the block knurling.

It’s definitely lost something in it’s appeal but it’s still very nice, I was going to order one immediately but I’m not 100% sure now. :wink:

I understand. I liked the blocks too, but the rings are starting to look better and better to me.

There are still some with the blocks on BG and FT if you want to grab one before they’re gone.

You have to keep in mind this and all the threads I post for Convoy are often based on preliminary information. As things change they are posted here. The nature of this beast is that things happen along the way, ideas don’t pan out, Something happens in the manufacturing process that forces a change, etc. If you follow the thread you’ll see all of this is completely transparent. As Pilotdog said the original plan was as you remember but a lot has happened since then. The production light is as you see it now. However, maybe you missed that I also had Simon produce separate one-piece, two cell tubes that are available separately and will be listed any time now. The only change to what you are looking for is if you want to run a single cell configuration you are stuck with the ring style knurling unless you happen to have one of the old tubes. The new block style two-cell tube will have your new L2 looking like this.

If you’re still disappointed well, I guess you can’t please everyone… :expressionless:

The block look is simply awesome. Match's well with the block pattern around the bezel. I prefer this light in a single cell arrangement anyway, but the bigger L6 with side switch will be nice with two cells.

Wish he would still sell the single cell host only, but with the AR lens - should be no more than $2-$3 I'd think. I don't think it's been out long enough to even get a good feel of how popular it is, or could be. I feel lights this large are kind of dated without an e-switch, but still, this is one awesome looking and performing light, and a nice size, takes advantage of the higher capacity and higher performing 26650 cells out there now. The first real quality replacement for the classic HD2010.

Nice numbers! I hear you on the version control but it’s not my call. I’d have probably called this the L2.1 or something but at least for legoability the last and current are interchangeable as far as tubes and such.

+1 I like both. I’m glad the block style is available in the long tube though.

You’re not kidding, a lot has happened and it’s not easy keeping track of it all.

That looks very nice indeed, I’m happy now!!! 8)

Thanks for clearing that up J-Dub74 :wink:

Wait, I think everyone (including myself) is getting the recent L2 (from last fall), the newest L2 (just released, I think) and the new L6 (coming soon?) confused. When you guys are talking about long tubes with blocks still being available, which light do those fit? I’ve got a recent L2 host (17mm driver, from last fall) and would love a block-style 2-cell tube. I thought those were in the works but not yet released. Am I wrong? And if those are already available could I have a link? I want one.

emarkd

The block style 2 cell tube will be available very soon in Simon’s shop ‘Shenzhen Convoy Electronics Co., Ltd.’ on Aliexpress.com.

It will fit the L2 which was sold from the fall of 2015.

In the listing there's a nice pic of the Tactical ring, and the tactical ring thread cover. It looks like it effects the pattern quite substantially on the ringed tube, but potentially not nearly as bad on the block style.

Only 3 orders so far. I though there was many people waiting for it.

:slight_smile: Just ordered my new 2-cell L2

Hope it gets mailed before Chinese New Year.

Waiting impatiently. :nerd_face:

I’ve never ordered from Simon before. Is there really no option for Paypal or am I being a little slow today?

Not built-in to Aliexpress, but Simon is gracious enough to allow it. Place your order on Ali, but don’t pay. Send him a message through the Ali store and tell him your order number and that you want to pay with paypal