Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Hey thanks for posting that! I totally missed it until just now. I just skimmed through it right now but I’ll watch the whole thing later. I don’t know if it was just my computer or what but once you got to night time and the beam shots the volume drops to almost nothing so I couldn’t hear what you were saying. I’m hoping that won’t be the case when I watch it at home. Much better speakers there so I can crank it up a bit. :beer:

Hi all,

my L2 (new modell from banggood, one cell model with XP-L hi) came today from China and after taking a closer look the spring on the driver side seemed loose and came right of after touching it once, seems they added only a little drop of solder on one corner to connect the spring to the driver… china quality and QA sight so I´m going to do some soldering tonight, I thought about bypassing the spring with some desoldering braid while i´m on it, does this make any sense with this modell/driver or doesn´t it have any effect?

Sorry I´m new to modding…

Thanks,
K.

That’s a bit disappointing. If you have the single cell model with no extension tube that’s from the first batch with the LD25 driver. Does it have the block style knurling? I didn’t know they still had any though I haven’t really looked. Could you post a picture showing where the driver spring fell off? If you can solder I suppose it’s not a deal breaker but I would still like to report it back to Simon and show him a picture if possible.

Hi,

I ordered this model exactly:
Banggood

is than an outdated version of the L2 ?!?

Here are a few quick phone images:

CU,
K.

that is clearly not the right spring size for that driver

That is the previous model, without extension tube and not valid for 2 batteries

Well, technically it’s like the 2nd or 3rd model/generation, and now the latest is like the 3rd or 4th.

you’re right, edited :blush:

Excuse me sir but that is the second generation. The third generation is the one currently being sold. The fourth isn’t due out until next week with the fifth not due until April. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did I miss something? fourth generation for next week?

Fourth and fifth generation, what’s changing?

Not that I would’ve waited as I’m happy with my 3rd generation light.

I’m guessing he’s joking… but then again, it’s Convoy… who knows!? :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL. Sorry, I was just having a bit of fun and messing with PilotDog. I know the model naming is a bit confusing. I’ll try to work with Simon on addressing that at some point but one step at a time. There is no new version of the L2 coming out anytime soon. The first L6 sample will be in Simon’s hands soon though. Just be thankful the L6 wasn’t just referred to as the bigger L2 with the side switch and an XHP70! :wink: The next thing to happen to the L2 will probably be the clear anodized version. Oh and Simon is having brass ring adapters made to use a 17mm driver in the larger driver cavity of the current L2 hosts. 17mm drivers seem much more common and I’ve seen a few people mention trying to find an adapter that would fit under the driver retaining ring so I asked Simon to make some. I’ll let you guys know when it’s available.

I wouldn’t call it outdated but yeah it is one version back. The only real difference is the 1 or 2 cell option included in the new model. If you wanted a 2 cell configuration Simon sells the 2 cell tube with two different knurling styles but it would require a different driver. Your driver only supports a single cell. That’s a sloppy solder job on that spring and I agree with PilotDog that the spring looks a little big (diameter-wise) for the driver. I’ll take a look inside mine this weekend and see if that’s a different spring. Yours looks a bit chewed up on the inside too. Was that your doing or did it arrive like that?

Thanks J-dub74 for the clarification, so powerwise (Candela/lux Count) there is no difference between the two drivers when equipped with an XP-L HI led like mine is? I´m not interested in two cell Operation anyway cause i really like the stubby one cell look and Operation. It´s a “fun” light for me anyway since I don´t really have a use for a pure thrower.

The inside is probably been scratched because I unscrewed the tube from the head end several times now, and the end of the tube thread seems to scratch the inside when tightening. I resoldered the spring now (and bybassed the spring just in case) and it works, the spring bottom really fills the whole inner circle completely.

Just out of curiosity: can you point me to the place where I can buy the latest Version of the L2 (non host, ready made)? I didn´t manage to find it via google.

Thanks,
K.

No problem. The power level and lumen output is the same in both versions. Both drivers run 3A on high and function is nearly identical. For anything Convoy in your case I would go directly to Simon’s Convoy store on Aliexpress. That way you are always guaranteed the real thing and of course the latest. There are also typically a nice selection of different emitters and sometimes driver configuration options too. In the case of the L2 though the only extra options are the three different driver tints. It’s linked in the OP too but here is the Convoy Store

Thanks again J-Dub74! One last question: which driver version does my model have (i can´figure out the number written on the driver, LDxx) and what size does it have (17mm?) Can the replacement driver mentioned by thijsco19 in Convoy L2...Guess who's back??? - #1100 by thijsco19 be used if I ever wanted to tune that baby and can the LED be fired with the max of 5.5 A in this light?

K.

It should have the LD25 driver which is a 17mm driver.
If you want to keep it as a single cell light you can either use a fet driver to get the maximum output the cell can deliver. Or use a linear driver suchs as the Qlite driver (with increased number of 7135’s) or the LD-2 driver .
Remember if you are going to increase the current to the led, the led should be mounted on a copper board. A aluminium board isn’t going to work with higher currents than 3A.

But if you going to use 2 cells (the existing 2 cell tubes will fit you light), you could use that driver (the mtn-max buck driver).

hi, i have just modd the l2 and c8, only one problem with the xpl on the l2 just normally it isn’t focused for the height between the xpl and the reflector base obviousely i can put the xml and resolve the problem, what you council?

The joy of modding! :slight_smile:

If you are switching to a different mcpcb and emitter, it might be necessary to make further adjustments to reach optimum potential. The emitter can be shimmed on the mcpcb to raise it into the reflector, the entire mcpcb can be raised with a copper disc underneath, or modifications can be made to the relationship between the reflector and head to lower the reflector. There are issues involved whichever method is utilized, details that make it a challenge and the end result more prideful. :wink:

Happy modding!

PS: Yes, the emitter itself can be placed on strips of copper between it and the mcpcb, raising it off the base to gain height. This is not commonly done, but is not as difficult as it might seem and is really the easiest way, gaining clearance on the electrical leads instead of reducing it. :wink: I have found the use of thin strips of aluminum between the strips of copper help reduce the chance of shorting out the contacts to the thermal pad when raising the emitter in this way. Look at the issue at hand, figure out a way to get around it. Accept the challenge. :slight_smile: