Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

I’m just eating my popcorn and enjoying the ride. :slight_smile: :+1:
No pun intended. I don’t know enough to even chime in but I like the possibilities and obviously you all know if it’s a win for Convoy you have my attention…

Hmmm it’s not too late I think for the L1 to bee the first 21700 light :smiley:

A 21700 single cell thrower ?

Yes I’m in :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe with a slightly bigger reflector than the C8 .

Yes about 5-10mm larger to fit nicely between C8 and L2

If Convoy go down the 20700/21700 route, please retain protected and unprotected 18650 compatibility (i.e. springs to allow for 65mm to 71mm length), and possibly even the allow for the inevitable protected 20700/21700 which will add to width and length (up 21.7mm width and up to 75mm length). Whilst the L6 was in my opinion “the light of 2016”, its battery compatibility limitations caused some negativity, as I’m sure you are well aware.

The springs are easy, simply combine the new driver spring from the red drivers with the tailcap springs from the first run of L6’s and it will easily have enough play for 18650 and 21700. Even protected 21700’s if you are willing to make the light a bit longer, this is fine for the thrower but the tube light I don’t think it is worth it.

Although support for that is not something I see as a must since I am going to say that 90% of lights are used with unprotected sales based simply on the ratio of unprotected cells to protected cells available on the market.

I think a C8 sized light and a tube light would be the best starting places for this. Like mentioned above an L1 would be a perfect option for the C8 light, uniqely convoy and different then a C8 yet still very usable.

A slightly larger S2+ would be ideal for the tube light. Well actually an S8 as for whatever reason the S8 has the best host quality of all the S series lights that I have tried. I just don’t like the bezel and lack of deep carry clip on it. The fins are nice though. The threads are a step or 2 up from the already great S2+.

Glad to know that is a technical solution to the potentially large length variation.
Not allowing for protected compatibility would harm sales in my opinion.
I’d like to see at least 100k lux from the mythical L1.

I’d be keen on a 20700/21700 floody tube light when it is more widely available, though I’d like to see far more heat sinking than on the S2+.

Yes please bigger C8 is needed!

Y’alls nomenclature is misdirected. L1 has to be small, an 10440, L2 could be an 14500 size, perhaps an L5 would be appropriate to slot in under the L6 with its single cell 26650 and follow suit with the larger L7 and it’s dual 26650’s.

Can ’t be flip floppin around in sizes with the lineage, that would just be all wrong and would walk all over the previous discussions of future Convoy models. :wink:

You forget that the L2 is already a 26650 thrower :wink:

Also, there is an L7? or an L6 with a single cell tube?

Well @&ck me running backwards! :blush:

I did forget that!

We’ve discussed miniaturizing the lineage for an 18650, 14500 family of L lights at length, my desires in the smaller form factor blanketed my prior knowlede with the L2… I don’t currently have one as I’m waiting on the silver variant and all of China went AWOL.

Convoy lights are medium quality. I’m using one on construction site since 1 year and it’s still working. I recommend them.

Edit: I removed my previous comment here as it was a bit of an overreaction which my friends here were good enough to point out. :zipper_mouth_face: I happen to think Convoy are very good quality lights, not medium, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. There certainly are higher quality lights out there but that higher level of quality typically comes at twice the cost if not more. Simon has no wish to compete in that market. Simon’s goal with Convoy is to bring high quality at low cost and to make high quality hosts and components available for the custom flashlight builders/modders that other companies don’t offer. I’ve always thought of Convoy as the “best of the budget brands” bringing unexpectedly high quality-per-dollar.

In all fairness, I think he means that as an actual compliment, vs “high-quality” mil-spec lights ($$:money_mouth_face: which are waterproof, potted, can take real abuse vs just dropping it off a table, etc.

My L2 will probably be here tomorrow, ready to crank it up with the XHP-35.

Jared, no need to take offense as you know as well as anyone that the Convoy line is not an expensive high end model set. They’re good solid reliably performing lights at a good price. There are very few with a better finish, at any price, and the design work on the latest is very appealing to me. I’ve experienced exceptional consistency across the line, which is rare these days in any brand.

Performing for a year on a construction site is a pretty good statement about what most of us have come to expect from Convoy.

The L2 with an XHP35 HI is a great combo, I have one and it is one of my favorite beams. Almost exactly the same throw as the XP-L HI L2 I also have but almost twice the lumens and a larger hotspot.

I think it was around 750m of throw but don’t quote me.

You will run the xhp35 with 4 cells ?

If I may ask (sorry Jared, I know this isn’t the mod thread!), what driver did you gentlemen go with for the XHP35?

Yeah, I think you (and Dale) are probably right. I’ll go back and tone down my comment. I’m having a rough week and probably I just need to calm down! :blush: :zipper_mouth_face:
Thanks for mentioning this.
Edit: I went back and toned down my comment to what I should have said. Thanks for keeping me in check guys. :+1:

Giorgo, yes, 4 of the 26350’s. Lord knows I have enough extension tubes to run 4 26650’s but that would make it a club! (Mitko sent me 12 of the extension tubes, nobody really seems interested in those even though I’m giving them away like he gave them to me)

gchart, I’ll be using a Buck driver from mtnelectronics set at 2.5A. I’ve used Neven’s LD2 on a few others, with all the tiny modifications doing so requires.

This particular L2 is in my Town, being loaded on the carriers bright yellow vehicle even now. :smiley: