Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Your interpretation of high quality must be outf@$%&*gstanding!

What’s the old saying? Best laid plans of mice and men? I have components on-hand to modify this L2, it just came in a little while ago. And now, I had forgotten how much I like the L2 in short form! Dang thing is just outstanding in single cell configuration! And the NW XM-L2 throws a nice beam in it’s own right, what to do what to do?

I agree, the short version of the L2 is quite nice, thats why I have both. unless space is an issue, I generally prefer the xhp35 version myself, for the above stated reasons.

Although I generally find that unless I need a thrower I grab the L6 over the long L2. The L6 is a more usable beam unless you need that extra throw.

Unno, I keep mine in 1S config.

I happen to have a couple of Luminus SBT-70 emitters, thinking the circular die would fare well in this short fat L2 and a LiitoKala 5000mAh cell should probably provide enough juice to it, run time will probably suck because the SBT-70 likes to pull 15-20A, but I bet it’d be pretty! lol

Edit: As an aside, it’s a pretty bada@@ looking L2 with 3 extension tubes on it for 4 26650 cells! :smiley: (man I hate making decisions like these! Probably gonna have to get another L2, all there is to it…)

SBT-70 could be interesting. I was never a fan of them just due to how inefficient they are but they do work good otherwise.

I also put together a super long L2 with 4x 26650’s and it was not that bad, basically a modern maglight really IMO. I went with the 26350’s mostly because it would not fit on the shelf I wanted to put it on with the 26650’s and because I had a set of 26350’s I wanted to use.

Everytime I get myself worked up for a XHP35 build (such as an L2), I find myself debating the merits of an XHP35 HI over a well-driven XP-L HI. Lumens and die size should be about the same, right? 12v complicates things a bit. What are the pros for the XHP35?

Like I said above, I have both setups side by side. The xhp35 is the better beam for sure.

They both have about the same throw (within 20m IIRC when tested) but the xhp35 has about a 50% larger hotspot and about 1000 more lumens (about ~1400 lumens vs ~2400 lumens).

The downside is the longer light and the limit to 26350 cells which do not offer same capacity as larger cells.

What he said, but the 12V emitter pulls 2.5A vs the 3V emitter pulling 6A. So even though the smaller capacity 26350’s seem to be a negative, it works out pretty close to the same in absolute run time. Go figure, right?

I run 4x26500’s! No problem with run time or size! :smiley:

I’m not a very patient soul.

My L2 is now sporting an XHP-35 on a 26mm Maxtoch with a 27.5mm Mtn Buck driver. I have 3 extension tubes on it for 4 26650’s, Basen’s are what I have 4 of so that’s what I’ll be running. I used the XP-L tapered centering ring that Simon had made a while back, works beautifully.

Machined the driver bay out for the larger driver with it’s fairly large inductor, machined the emitter shelf for the larger mcpcb, machined the inside of the head as well as the reflector to allow the reflector to seat deeper. The 4 tubes come out just a bit on the long side, so I’ll probably touch up one end of each to bring it down so I don’t need a spacer.

To make it work with 4 26350’s will require some fitment of the tail cap…. they’re too long.

I’ll get some numbers when I get the Basen’s to like charge. :wink:

Are you guys aware of any sites where a novice can purchase an already modified L2 off the shelf. My absolute favorite would be a xhp35 hi model. I would, however be interested in a xpl hi version that is driven quite a bit harder than the current stock version. I have a stock l2, extended cell version that is great, I just know it has the potential to be nearly an order of magnitude more powerful. Thanks!
And sorry for slipping this into a thread not originally designed for sales but I don’t have the time or patience to start my own thread.

Joey, RMM (Richard) has a flashlight store and is a member here, he has the Convoy L2 at a very good price AND he makes and designs drivers, including modding lights. I am pretty sure that if you ask him to put an FET driver in an L2 you’re buying from him he will do so. Including using a Buck driver to power a XP-L HI emitter from 2 cells at some 5.5A or so. I don’t think he has the short 26350 cells but he’d probably even set up the light to run on 4 of those to an XHP-35 if you asked.

He can be very accommodating and is seriously smart, give it a shot and see what he can do for you.

Edit: Should have mentioned his store is Mountain Electronics mtnelectronics.com

Thanks Dale, I have been a customer of Richards for a couple of months now. I have purchased Convoy C8 with xpl hi, Convoy L6, Jaxman E2 l, 7 Samsung 30q’s, and 3 of the 4.35 volt LG 18650. Not to mention solder, flux, and springs and several AR coated lenses. Oh, also 2 xtar wp2h chargers. Early on in my FL addiction cycle I sent an email to the customer service for his website and asked if they would still do a convoy C8 mod for me. The response was no because they were too busy with other endeavors currently and don’t see it happening in the future. I guess I can ask specifically about modding an L2. The Customer service rep I spoke (electronically) with was named Lisa. Maybe if I could ask Richard himself the answer could be different. I am definitely a satisfied customer of mountain electronics, they have excellent pricing and a great selection of products for sale. Customer service is great too, best of all is the fact that if you purchase anything there it will always be 100 percent genuine.

Lisa is his wife btw... Hhmm, may be incentive to say he's too bizy. Just say'n

It’s Richard and his wife, Lisa, that’s the entire business. Unless their little boy, 4 now? is building drivers… Is he 5 already? Can’t keep up… (keeping the kids names out of this for their own good. :wink: )

At any rate, you’re going to get personal attention at Mountain Electronics because it’s just the husband and wife team, Richard builds em, Lisa packs em and ships em. (She’s saavy enough she might be building lights these days! :slight_smile: )

Richard and Lisa definitely run a good business with great prices and personally handled customer service. Mountain Electronics and the Convoy store are my two most recommended flashaholic supply stores. :+1:

Well I finally got around to putting a request into Mountain Electronics for a modified convoy l2. This is Richards reply:

Hi Joey,

Unfortunately I am currently not offering custom services—-it isn’t that it is that hard or difficult for me, it’s just that I now have hundreds of customers asking for similar options, and even though it only takes a few minutes here or there it all adds up and reduces efficiency quite a bit on my end and ends up taking several hours each day, so I have decided to turn down these requests for the time being.

Best,
Richard

Well, it IS just him and Lisa running the business, limited time in a one man show makes for some disappointments I guess.

I know they bought a house and he’s been working his tail off getting things fixed and the business running out of a shop he had to build, so he’s probably just that swamped making everything line up.

I can understand this move completely. Modding work takes a lot of time, there comes a point in a business like his that your time becomes more valuable them the service is worth.

Time is the one thing that you can never get more of and you never get back.