Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

I assumed the same all along this journey. It was supposed to be DTP but somewhere along the way that detail obviously got overlooked. My heart sunk a little when I got that response as I was disappointed and I knew there would be disappointment here. To non-flashaholics this probably wouldn’t mean a thing. My hope is that even these first non-DTP lights will still do well. As I said Simon is scrambling to resolve this as quickly as possible. Thanks for being cool about it. I know there are always going to be a few bugs to be worked out of a new design but it was a bummer to find one right out of the gate. I’m still looking forward to it’s arrival. If I try to find a positive angle, now get an unexpected opportunity to see just how much difference a DTP copper star will make vs. a standard copper star and see real before and after numbers. :slight_smile: :confused: :person_facepalming:

We understand hiccups happen - thanks for being up front with us, not trying to hide anything, and working to resolve this asap!

The L6 cooling fins are tapered unlike the S70 which also has a solid (un-scalloped) head - why do you feel it will have better cooling?
Just curious…

Don’t sweat it J-Dub, I took this as good news knowing that we will be getting warmer tinted emitters and DTP boards.

Found this……Simply put “Direct Thermal Path”, lowering LED junction temperature. To understand how SinkPADTM technology works let’s first review the primary thermal path found in LED applications. In a LED the heat originates at the chip (die) in the same way that in a normal light bulb heat originates at the filament. The key difference is that in the case of a light bulb the heat is radiated into the atmosphere and in the case of a LED heat must be conducted through a series of mediums before it reaches the atmosphere. A high rate of thermal conduction means cooler running LEDs while a low rate means very hot and potentially self-destructive LEDs. If all substances had the same and low thermal resistance then it would not matter how many mediums heat would have to be conducted through before it reached the atmosphere. Since this is not the case, an ideal situation is one in which any substance with a low thermal conductivity & a high thermal resistance is removed from the conduction thermal path. These low thermal conduction/high thermal resistance substances slow the transfer of heat and therefore increase junction temperature. Typically conventional MCPCBs are commonly used to dissipate heat from a LED to a heatsink. MCPCB uses a thermally conductive dielectric layer to bond circuit layer with base metal (Aluminum or Copper). The key to thermal performance of MCPCB lies in its dielectric layer. Even though thermally conductive dielectric has higher thermal performance copared to standard dielectric material it is still a weakest link in the conduction thermal path in the MCPCB. SinkPADTM PCB approach overcomes this limitation and eliminates use of a dielectric material completely from a conduction thermal path. SinkPADTM Technology provides “Direct Thermal Path”, lowering LED junction temperature.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed explanation - glad it was just “simply put” :sunglasses:
I didn’t realize the L6 had a superior DTP since this review of the S70: Another Thorfire S70 review. Who likes lumen?
stated that the XHP70 “is mounted on the direct thermal path copper board”.

Love the looks! Much better look'n tube, like the original L2, and match's up well to the L2. Wait'n on the host though... Any ETA? Sorry, if I missed it, if posted earlier.

J-Dub, any news on a host being available?

Also, what size is the MCPCB and Driver? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Wow guys! Awesome light :slight_smile: Any guess about the 50mA mode output in lumens ?

From post #524 mcpcb is 20mm non-dtp .

Just occasionally stumbling on threads here on BLF aaaand what do we have here :slight_smile:

Looks promosing, for long time I have not had “a big light”!
Maybe I should wait a while for that DTP case to be solved.

I am surprised that Simon was not recognizing the importance of DTP board until now, considering he is also a flashaholic himself. :frowning:

I would even go so far to say this: If it isn’t DTP board, then non of your cool features (like these fancy cooling fins…) would matter! The importance of DTP has been proven again and again since a few years back. Also we need to realize that there are many copper boards (with cheaper price tag normally) which are actually not DTP. It is easy to use the DMM connectivity test to verify if something is a true DTP.

As for sourcing for the suitable DTP board for this Convoy L6, I would suggest Simon to just go with the Maxtoch DTP copper board which is already available.

Anyway, kudos to J-Dub74 and Simon for willing to make the change! :beer:

MaxToch makes a board for the XHP-70? I haven’t seen that one. I’ve only seen Cutter and SinkPAD.

They certainly do happen…even more often in this “budget” category. I would not try to hide anything. I’ve been given a unique opportunity to help both the BLF community and Simon (Convoy) and I truly want what is best for both parties. Hiding things is never a solution IMO. I appreciate comments like yours and the rest I’ve read that are understanding of the complexities. :beer:

Is it this one?
Maxtoch XHP70 Copper MCPCB

Same size as the S70

FX-30 driver. I believe some modifications has been done onto this driver. I bought a few of them for my XHP70 modification but it only achieve 4.5~4.8A using 12V (3 LG HE2 cells).

Sweet wkhchin81! Thank you! I had not seen that before , perfect size at 32mm, man I gotta get me some of those! :smiley: (Eagle Eye X6, 32mm inside the head… well, 31.7mm, no step for a stepper.)

Wow, wonder what else I’ve been missing out on…

Now that I look at it, yes that is the driver that was the starting point for the L6 driver but as you indicated the original driver has been modified for higher output and different modes though I don’t know what the UI is on the standard FX-30. My searches don’t turn up taobao links and they don’t seem to translate to English. Thanks for the info.

The original FX-30 UI is exactly the same similar, Low-Mid-High-Turbo Turbo-High-Mid-Low (with memory); double click to get strobe mode. The Low mode is about 5 lumens, direct viewable, not too bright.

The different is there is no momentary switch input on the original board.

Any ETA for NW?