Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Deleted - Wrong thread!

Hi everybody,
I would order a NW version from Simon, but I don’t know how to obtain the 15% discount coupon and how to choose Neutral White version. Please, Could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Neutral white isn’t yet available.

To use the discount, place an order on his aliexpress store but do not pay.
If I recall correctly, while placing an order you can leave him a message asking for the discount. If not message him the normal way and say you’re from BLF and like to use the BLF discount. He will change the price on you order.

Thanks a lot.

Ciao

Ive never owned XHP70 powered light, so im not familiar with the capabilities of the led. I’m interested what kind of numbers i can expect from this light if pushed to the max, and will 2x Efest IMR26650 40A 4200mAh do the job for max performance?

5000 lumens is possible but you have to drive the xhp70 pretty hard.

Yes those would be good, remember those cells are unprotected.

Cool, 5000 lumens are tempting, it will be hard to resist not to mod this flashlight, chances are that it wont be stock for a long time :smiley:

I’ve got a question about the driver set up. On the Thorfire S70 the side electronic switch only does mode selection. The tail switch only does on/off. Which ever mode it’s put on stays locked in regardless of how the tail switch is pressed. This has become my favorite style. How is the L6 set up? Is there a technical name for this set up?

I’m out in town right now posting from my phone while waiting for an appointment but I wanted to plst a couple quick things. I’ll respond to more later but for now just these few quick notes:

I don’t know why Gearbest is advertising and selling a light that is not yet being made. Simon does not yet have neutral emitters. They should not be listed. I let Simon know this and asked him to shed some light here. Ha! Shed some light. :sunglasses:

More importantly… My L6 just arrived! More to come in a few hours when I’m back home to play with it more but I’ll just say for now that I LOVE IT!

My second set of 26650s is still on its way to me from Richard so I can’t run it side by side with the S70 yet. I’ll have to keep swapping cells back and forth. More soon…

J-Dub, what cells are you using?

It should be the same as the S70. I too like this UI, especially on these big lights.
Not sure if it has a special name.

Damn! A few hours would mean that I wont see it till tomorrow… Or I can stay up late. :laughing:

I’m using button top King Kong ICR 4000mAh cells purchased from RMM. Specifically These
They are my only matched pair at the moment. I have an ideentical set that should arive Monday. By the way all…

Important note on battery choice
There appears to have been a miscommunication in the L6 listing and one of the photos for that matter. I thank Richard for calling my attention to it. He told me that the protected 5200s he sells are too long for the L2. According to Simon the maximum length 26650 that fits both the L2 and L6 is 70mm. This would mean the “recommended” protected Keeppower 5200mAh cell which comes in at 71.1mm is actually too long for the L6. I have asked Simon to confirm this and correct his listing if necessary. In the 5200mAh cells I have seen only the unprotected version fits. Personally I am not concerned for my own sake but if you want to use protected cells please confirm the cell length before purchasing. There are several protected options such as the protected version of the same cells I’m using which are currently available at Mountain electronics Here I believe KeepPower and a few others also have protected 26650 cells that are under 70mm but all the one’s I’ve seen are 4200mAh and under.

A pair of cells used in series such as in the L6 should be a matched pair. This means same brand, same capacity, same chemistry and same age. Always charge them together and check voltage of each cell regularly. High powered lights that run on two or more cells opens up a new level of awesomeness but we must always remember that “with great power comes great responsibility”. :sunglasses:

Edit Simon says the new version Keeppower 5200mAh protected cells are under 70mm but I am still trying to confirm that. All the sources I found still list it at 71.1mm

I’m not sure if there is a technical name for this setup or not but I love it too. The L6 switch setup is the same in this regard. The tail switch is simply on and off. The side switch controls mode switching. I’ve been through all the modes several times and I’m happy to report that not once did I accidentally activate the strobe even when moving through the modes quickly. A quick intentional double-tap activates the strobe as it should but I don’t see any issue with accidentally activating the strobe. I know this is a common complaint on some lights with a double-tap strobe.

I wish I had known this yesterday as I just ordered 2 protected KP 5200mAh cells for this light based on the product information.

Sorry stephenk. I wish I had known this sooner too. As soon as I hear back from Simon on this issue I’ll post a response here. I announced this as soon as I could hoping to head off people ordering cells that won’t fit the L6. When I have an official response I’ll post it here.

Thanks for the great info. I’ve also seen Basen 4200 cells on a GB. Is there a reason to purchase one over the other? Or are there other 26650 cells that really stand out for use in the L6?

Thanks again!

I’ve also ordered two KP :weary:

Edit

I can only hope it’s the new version I get, it’s under 70 mm.

I fast response would be good please, so that if I need to change the order I can message the seller before he returns from vacation on the 19th (and also hope he sees the message before shipping!) Otherwise the household chief financial officer won’t be happy.

Addendum (a few minutes after making post):
Specifications for this on sellers website are Dimensions: 26.4 x 69.5 mm (top).
As per the above post, there may be two sizes of this cell, and it looks like I’ve ordered the one that will just about fit. I hope.

Again there hasn’t been enough testing to confirm anything along those lines but this being a current controlled driver any quality cell should have about the same performance. The only noticeable difference being runtime based on cell capacity. Until we have more testing and info I’d just look for a solid performing cell that’s no longer than 70mm.

I haven’t been able to take any beam shots yet but here is my take on the L6 so far:

I love it.

The mode spacing on the driver is all I hoped it would be. The low is not quite moonlight low, but a nice true low and way lower than the S70 low. By Monday I should have my second set of cells to run them side-by-side.

The beam is similar to the S70 under 25 yards but the L6 beam seems a bit tighter with a little more throw to me. I took them both outside individually tonight and ran the L6 and the S70 in the same situations taking mental notes in each scenario. Honestly, until I have a more controlled situation I can’t compare the two fairly. At long distances it seemed the L6 showed objects more clearly but I was only able to get a clear view at a little over 900 feet. The L6 was showing my target tree pretty well. In the same spot with the S70 I could also see the tree but the reflected light from closer objects made it harder to see so the S70 seems floodier to me. I don’t want anyone to take these loose observations as a factual comparison as I only have one pair of cells right now.

I can tell you that the hole in the center of the beam that plagues so many XHP70 lights (including the S70) is not present in the L6. :slight_smile:
The L6 shows no dark cross or hole in the center of the beam indoors or out. Convoy did an excellent job tuning that out. The only situation that allows me to see the cross in the beam center is indoors pointing at a wall in the lowest mode at a distance of less than 2 feet from the wall. Any distance beyond that you’re looking at a clean round hot spot. Beautiful. It looks like Simon knocked this one out of the park. I will add some pictures ASAP and beam comparisons once I have another set of batteries. My experience so far shows this to be an awesome light. :beer:

Are you sure longer cells don’t fit?
I mean my very long protected Panasonic’s fit both S50 and S70
It is a little too tight for my taste yet the lights close and work with them.