Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

The changes you mentioned cover the basics pretty well. The standard FX-30 didn’t deliver the punch we wanted for the L6 or the mode spacing I felt was critical. We decided to drop the turbo timer as this light handles the heat quite well and if you are buying a Convoy L6 you should know enough about flashlights to know not to leave it unattended and to use the heat felt by your own hand to tell you when you should drop it down a level. Turbo timers are nothing but an annoyance to many members of the flashaholic community here.

The Convoy L6 driver is a result of the opinions of Simon and I with help figuring out how to make all it happen from my two of my best BLFriends. :wink:

If you don’t like it, please blame me.
If you do like it, this nicely improved driver is available ridiculously cheap in the Convoy store with the excellent side switch already there.

I tend to be a bit wordy…particularly where I have strong feelings :expressionless: but the changes can be simplified/summarized as different resistors and different firmware.

The mode spacing is real nice.

I’m crossing my fingers we’ll get new firmware that gives lots of different options, kinda like guppydrv, etc…, but I get the feeling this driver is not used in many lights and therfore not popular enough for someone to do all that programming.

At the moment I wish I could turn off the strobe. I still get it by accident sometimes.

I made a video of my 7.4A bumped L6 how it heats up in turbo:

I guess the manufactorer changed the firmware.
Or is the source available so that we might even modify and program the firmware by ourselves?

Yeah, the driver manufacturer Simon uses made the firmware changes. We just dictated what those changes would be and what levels the modes should be set to. I don’t know if I can get the source code or not but I like the idea. I’ll find out. While I’m happy with the mode spacing, we set it up to be fairly simple for the average user. As BLF members were all quite spoiled by spectacular firmware from people like ToyKeeper and Tom E. :sunglasses:

+1

That’s the only con i see for this light :heart_eyes:

Another idea is using the side switch for on/off and switching modes then the rear switch would only be for locking it out. I think it would make it more friendly for one hand use. Right now I tend to use 2 hands with it which feels a bit awkward.

I believe the MTN FET driver is like this, but I don’t want direct drive, I prefer longer runtimes.

Agreed on using the side switch for on/off and switching modes , but I think it would need a new driver & firmware to do that.

On the MTN website Richard says the FET Convoy L6 driver he sells was made with input from BLF members. Has anyone seen any information about this driver? I would like to know more about it.

Thanks

Want to know more about his product, ask Richard. He’s a great guy and if he said it, then it’s so. Simple as that.

He’s a busy guy. I was hoping there was a thread here, that I couldn’t find, where they went into details about it.

It might have been designed behind closed doors, I don’t know.

WOW! I absolutely cannot imagine an L6 with an FET driver.

BTW, in 30°F temps the stock L6 doesn’t get hot. It does get warm in the region of the driver but that’s it.

Just found this thread. The L6 is a very nice looking light. Any link for recommended protected batteries for this light? I read in the beginning of the thread, the recommended 26650 protected cells were too long.

The description even says “fit for L6”.

Been considering whether to get this light for awhile and i finally pull the trigger today, got myself the black color from gearbest and 2 x keeppower IMR26650.

Reason for the hesitation is not many online store ship 26650 battery to singapore. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_104844.html i got this battery from gearbest, one of the few 26650 that ships here. From the review i see somebody use it with the L6 without any trouble.

Those are unprotected cells.

I asked Banggood for an updated deal on those and they responded yesterday. I just haven’t had a chance to post it yet. They gave me a new link and a coupon code that if I remeber correctly brought them to $10.99. Give me a few and I’ll post the new link and code.

Which are perfectly fine to use. I exclusively use un-protected cells myself. I do not even own any protected cells.

Just make sure you know the basics of lithium cell handling obviously.

Indeed, I use a pair of LiitoKala in my L6, but the OP requested protected cells.