Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Hey Guys, would Sanyo GAs able to bring L6 to its max potential?
My LK26650s are still on its way, and the best battery that I have now is GAs. So I put two of them in as I can’t wait to test this lovely light and…… its working.
GA is rated at 10A and L6 only needs 5A or 6A. So theoretically GA can bring L6 to its max output without problem, just shorter runtime because of capacity.
But I would like any comment on this. Will there any difference between GA and 26650 battery other than runtime?

I’m not a fan of protected cells. I use Efest 4200 and 5200mAh cells in my L6’s. That being said,I do monitor my cells closely

I missed that in the quote

They will run the light just fine, although max power will be limited due to voltage sag but at least on a full charge it should show you what to expect.

Voltage sag will cause them to drop out of regulation faster. Shouldn’t be an issue to use while you wait for the 26650.

I actually picked up a pair of these for a friend. I didn’t want any fitment issues with the 71+ mm version in a single cell light.

Just tried them in the L6. They fit just fine. About 3 mm longer than my LiitoKala’s with a magnet in between. They stick out the tube about 1.5mm with springs uncompressed. Springs compress more than enough to make it a comfortable fit.

I personally wouldn’t use them because they’re bloody expensive, but all good protected 26650 cells are pricey.

M4D M4X has a coupon code for the protected Keeppowers. They a pretty good. Even in my L6 with FET+1 they go up to 10 amperes.

Good to know. Thanks Texas and Unkown :slight_smile:

Ok so I just went back to my PM from Banggood and the new link they sent and the coupon code.

This is for the Keeppower 5200mAh protected cells which are the Convoy recommended cells for the L6.

The purchase link is HERE.
The coupon code is “Keeppower” which brings the price down to $10.99

The new Banggood rep asked me to use the new link so they could track it better and I see they added a string of info that includes the words BLF and jdub. I assume people are going to think it’s an affiliate link as that’s about how it looks to me but for the record I don’t have any affiliate accounts setup anywhere. Maybe I should…but I don’t.

As far as “Why protected and why these exact cells?” it’s about user protection/safety and also Simon felt these were the ideal cells for the L6. That does not mean you can’t use unprotected cells, you just need to know what you are doing as most of us here do. Still I personally feel better using protected cells in series lights as there is a very real added danger (mostly to the uninitiated). I use unprotected cells in all my single cell lights. If you’re build a hotrod custom L6 with a FET driver you’re going to want to use hi-drain unprotected cells to get the most out of your light but again here it is assumed that if you are building such a light you know and understand the dangers and monitor your cells closely. The stock L6 driver is current controlled so there is no benefit to be had from using hi-drain cells so I go with protected just for that added piece of mind. It makes me more comfortable when others want to try it out as they always do.

Hi J-Dub
Thanks for the link, that’s a great price

I just paid $39 AUD for mine - this price is $10Aud cheaper

One thing about these batts is they just bearly squeeze in to my Nitecore D4 charger - no need to buy a different charger Instead maybe I can invest that $30 into another set of batts

AUSome! :wink:
Glad I could help. I’m not familiar with the D4 though I know it’s a popular charger. I was sold on Xtar long ago and I’ve never looked back. These are some of the shortest protected 26650 cells produced as far as I know. They aren’t the only cells or even the only protected cells that will work nicely in the L6 but they do provide excellent capacity and from all reports I’ve seen, reliable protection and I’m very happy with the price BG gave us on these. :+1:

Thank you hlKARlnoob and everyone else that replied about helping me with the batteries! I guess I'll have to order the L6 now so that I can start enjoying it as well. I haven't made up my mind yet whether to get the black one or the clear one. Decisions, decisions

Cheers man. Doesn’t matter which one you get; they’re both seriously excellent. I think you’re going to be very, very pleased with it.

Cheers! I'm almost tempted to get both as a Christmas gift for myself!

Hold on….there’s a new military color in the works.

Really? I would buy the military color hands down if it's true?

I find the shorter protected Keeppower 26650s easier to get in and out of my Lii-500 than some 18650s.

For now I’ll keep toiling with the D4 and add the Lii-500 to next years shopping list

That wouldn’t be the same sand/tan colour of the S2, would it?
I would buy an L6 in a flash if they were ever made in the Convoy S2 blue colour.

Convoy is working on a new colour, which was supposed to be tan, but it turned out a bit darker. They haven’t decided yet whether to accept this version, or to change it. The discussion takes place here (last page for pics):

It is also not known whether this new colour will be used for the L6 as well. Maybe it’s going to take time…

Cut it out Streamer. :stuck_out_tongue:
I can hardly keep up with the “colorful” conversation in it’s own thread. :wink:

Seriously though, it will be a while before we see another new color on the L6. The S2+ will be the testing ground. If that goes well then we may see the color crossing over into other lights.