Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

Nah, I hear ya. As I’m wont to tell people, “you couldn’t pay me to care any less” [about xyz].

Still, if someone’s talking aliens, don’t go off on ’em with religious views. If someone’s talking religion, don’t go insulting ’em for believing.

Problem is, tell some people the sky’s blue, and they’ll make it a point to just… argue about it, citing nighttime, overcast days, etc., and how you’re so wrong. :person_facepalming:

And that’s when threads get shut down. No one will “back down”. B’harni (pbuh!) forbid they let The Other Side actually “win”…

(And both sides will claim a monopoly on THE TRVTH.)

Denmark and Austria (like Martin already said) have immediately shut down all schools as a matter of precaution. Meanwhile another infection was reported from a school just 2 miles away from me (Berlin, Germany). This school consists of a primary and secondary school. The infection was detected on a teacher of the primary school. The management has decided to only close the primary school but let the secondary school continue with their business as usual! Unbelievable, reckless and irresponsible!!!

In Italy, public life is coming to a standstill in large parts of the country. Apart from supermarkets and pharmacies, almost all shops are closed. All non-essential business activities would have to be discontinued. In the meantime, the whole country has been declared a restricted zone and the 60 million people are no longer allowed to move freely. In total, more than 12,400 people have become infected with the virus in Italy and more than 820 have died.

US president Donald Trump plans to announce new measures by his administration against the spread of the coronavirus in an address to the nation at 2:00 CET (Central European Time).

Here:
59 confirmed cases a.t.m.

After a 6 hour meeting , there was an “advise” from the National Council for the Public Health to NOT close the schools without suspect cases, and to NOT close theatres, cinemas and other spaces (some are already closed as a preventive way).

Each school closing will be evaluated case by case.

Also, in my University, presencial classes are suspended from tomorrow on, BUT its faculties will not close, meaning that administrative services will keep on working, researchers and other workers will keep on being there…

Meanwhile, somepeople did this today:
(sorry, it is in Portuguese)

:person_facepalming:

Wow, thats 6.6. The common flu in the US kills .135 out of 45 million cases, on average each year.

The NCAA just canceled having fans in the arenas for the big college basketball tournament. Big blow to ticket sales and local economics where the events are held, but perhaps siding with caution is the way to go for now.

I’m glad i started to stock up on food when it all started to go pot in China 3 - 4 weeks back.

Here is a good thread on preparedness, it would be interesting to see if there is any change in the tone of the posts from a couple of months ago.

Emergency Preparedness

how does that help you not catch the virus?
do you mean you have been staying home more…
like a reverse self quarantine
so you dont have to go shopping as often?

I needed food today
went shopping
there were a lot more people than usual at the store

we just got our first 3 cases here

how does buying more food, prevent catching the virus?
maybe I should go buy more food?

I’m in the high risk age group - I still work everyday ( in the field and I can limit close contact with people almost completely) but the biggest vulnerability is that I still have to go to the store for food and other supplies. The fewer trips I make the less risk. I think that is the point he was making

Not going out, staying home, limits exposure

edit:
I see shirnask beat me to it. Good rules to live by right now.

Maybe dying with a stomach full make it mote bearable?

fwiw…… I have been self quarantined for the last 20years. I have CTE CTE and it has caused me to ‘hermitize’ myself……as in Earnest T Bass. :disappointed:
The only time I see anyone else is when I need to go into town for supplies every couple of months. I usually go to Walmart in the middle of the night to avoid folks. Quarantine will be nothing different for me.

that makes sense to limit exposure by self quarantine, thanks for the perspective

I was thinking of joining a gym to build up my immunity, but now I think it would not be such a good way to get stronger… maybe I should exercise at home…

today someone shook my hand, and I cringed when I realized I had made contact

I went snowboarding… figured that would be good exercise, did not realize the place would be flooded with spring break kids

Im starting to realize that a lot of the things I normally do, are potential vectors

and Ive been trying not to touch my face with my hands anymore

whole new world

I am recently retired. My wife is a chronic food hoarder, so there is enough food in this house to easily last a year. But I’ll still be screwed when the virus reaches this area. My wife is a school nurse. She is very attentive to safe hygiene habits but I doubt we’ll be able to dodge it when it comes around.
Aaaah, I knew I wouldn’t live forever. A man’s gotta die from something, right?

also recently retired
living alone with no family within 1000 miles

in a time gone by, and a traditional culture far far away
family would care for the elderly

now, if I caught covid19
I would not want to get my grandkids sick

the world is upside down

and now Im afraid to use an airplane, to go visit my family

3 TSA people at an airport I used last month, caught covid

my kids university has cancelled in person classes

and students living in the dorms have been asked to find offcampus housing

I have family in Austria, that place just went on what I call Lockdown after 112 cases were reached…

I heard Thieves Oil can be good for increasing immunity

it has spices I like, that are also in Chai
so I bought Chai :slight_smile:

Why do they call it Thieves Oil you might ask?

Hmmmm…….Anyone see Trump’s speech? Seems they are beginning to realize they can no longer say “We have this under control”……
It’s beginning to get warm here ……… hopefully Mother Nature will help slow this and give us a chance to gather our nuts before the next round. Arrrrgggghhh

We haven’t had a round yet, I’m wondering when this thing starts.

Breaking news just now. The rest of the NBA season has just been canceled. A few hours ago the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Utah Jazz were about to tip off a game, when a medical staff official ran into the arena and shut the game down. Both teams are now quarantined in the Arena for the time being.

It started with Jazz player Rudy Gobert not feeling well enough to play tonight. Hospital tested him positive for COVID19

The Denver Nuggets and Dallas Mavericks are currently playing a game, and are being allowed to finish it. It’s possible the Pelicans and Kings will be allowed to play tonight, but that will be it for the season.

edit… the Pelican/Kings game was canceled

Just heard that too! Getting my attention now…

As of Wednesday afternoon, the novel corona-virus has infected at least 118,332 people across 107 countries, resulting in over 4,290 deaths.That equals 3.625 % kill rate, the flu is about .1333 %. That is about 27 times more dangerous than the usual flu. So get ready, it is coming everywhere.

US restricting travel from Europe? I think it’s a little too late for this. The virus is already here, in no small numbers.