Creatures Of The Trail

Deer… the absolute most common creature.

1 Thank

Blue Heron. I couldn’t find the third one which was the best one.

1 Thank

Did you ever see a goose in a tree before? I haven’t until that one summer day.

1 Thank

Praying mantis.

2 Thanks

I’m kinda afraid of Praying Mantis’s.
I don’t think they would attack a human unprovoked, but they look scary to me, and I try to avoid them.

See also What wildlife did you spot tonight?

1 Thank

Yes. I made several posts on there in the beginning of the thread starting at number 19. Nice thread.

Cicada killer wasp.

They say the males cannot sting and the females rarely do.

I got stung by those pesky females twice! First time no reaction just a little bump on my arm. Didn’t even hurt that much.

The second time last fall, a big welt , a red rash ,burning and stinging all night. It also hurt.

Photo courtesy of Google search

Great pictures.
Really like the Owl.
Thanks for sharing.

2 Thanks

Rarely do I see an Owl when I hear them making their call. The two sets of pictures of the eastern screech owls are just by me randomly pointing my flashlight in the woods.

In the first two photos that owl was staring directly at my dog. My dog was staring at a rabbit!

Nikkos alertness never cease to amaze me. He is fascinated by the river. Logs, Minks,Geese ect.

The other night there was a jet airplanes ( approx 15K to 20K feet in elevation)reflection going across the river. He stared at its illuminating reflection until it was across the river, on the land where it can no longer be seen.

I was amazed.

1 Thank

This morning 5:30 a.m.

1 Thank

Very cool. Do you have bobcats or lynx out there too?

1 Thank

I never saw a lynx.

Saw a Bobcat once. From what I have read, Bobcats are numerous in Pennsylvania but are rarely seen. I guess that’s why I have only seen one!

2 Thanks

I was able to copy and paste a video from my Google photos. I didn’t like the version I need to upload it to YouTube and try that.

1 Thank

The :flashlight: was my NI40. The sustained a very minor scratch.:joy:

1 Thank

Looking at a turkey vulture up in the tree and squaring off with a large cow with horns. I think it’s called New Jersey cow or something like that.

1 Thank

Same Mink as my photos. I temporarily blinded the poor guy for about 10 seconds. When my new keychain light arrives, the Frog that’s the one I’m going to use if I don’t have a flood light with me.

1 Thank

My Pup stands up to crazy deer.:joy::crazy_face::sunglasses:

1 Thank

Two wolves, Brothers, Hunter and Scout who are 200 yds away and across the river from the trail. I’ve heard them howling many nights.

Wow, you have some cool wildlife where you live. The best thing I’ve spotted recently has been flying foxes the last two nights from my backyard in suburbia. They’re the reason I bought a Convoy Z1 as I couldn’t discern if it was owls or bats I could see/ hear at night with my other flashlight.

1 Thank