[GB-Closed!] Supbeam k40-l2 (Payment details in 2nd post!)

Sounds like they fed themselves with our info. Even at 1100 emitter lumens, I doubt they could get over 1000 OTF. That would be one efficient (read: perfect) reflector/lens combo.
Edit: Wait, reread that. Engineer confirming the emitter lumens, so they need to give us the measured OTF lumens again, now that they confirmed their previous number is impossible.

yeah, they have a very nice integrating sphere, but is it not calibrated or what? or did they lower the current of the driver? lots of questions at this point

Sounds like they’re BSing us. I’d still like one at that rate since everyone who had the first one was blown away by it, and this can only be as good or better. But once again, Chinese sleight-of-hand may well cost them business.

I'm on the fence given the number fudging. Ask them if they will be willing to take a smaller number of orders, like say 10... without hard numbers I don't see this GB moving forward from the feeler stage.

I will ask them tonight if lower number is possible.

Hhmm, I'm reading this thread, and I don't understand... I thought the K40 is exactly a TN31 - same driver, same UI, same everything accept for the styling around the head? Well maybe, maybe not - ThruNite says the TN31 XM-L2 has a XM-L2 U2 1C tint, not 1A. The manufacturer quoted #'s are extremely close, extremely... Even the odd discrepancy between the quoted throw distance and kcd #'s.

If this is a true TN31 clone accept for style, then this thing throw's like 140-150 kcd or so -- the 95 kcd is simply wrong, just like it's always been from ThruNite. The distance is the close to accurate # while the kcd # is from who knows where?

Also 3 amps should be totally wrong -- it's closer to 4 amps and at least 3.5, just like the TN31 -- same driver I thought -- in a TN31 mod thread, I thought someone posted a pic of the K40 driver and it was identical? Also, the TN31 XML and XM-L2 use the identical driver, I mean identical exactly.

Am I missing something here? I got a stock TN31 XM-L2 at home right now so I can do a quick lumens and throw check on it for comparison purposes...

If it match's up well with a TN31, then I'm in for one for sure - one resistor mod, de-domed, wire/grease upgrades and you can get 350-370 kcd.

Edit Post #19 here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/17637

thats exactly why i was interested in doing this group buy after peoples suggestions. maybe they really do not know and the engineers just throw out numbers to make people happy

thats good info that only high setting is affected by the resistor mod

Now I understand why smokers are so agitated and aggressive and anxious when they don’t get what they want :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a K40 and the internals were identical to a TN31. Now this is comparing the two older styles so I’m not sure. The TN31 barely out threw the K40 due to the head discrepancies (about 115 kcd vs 100 kcd) so I would guess this new model does about 115 kcd to 130 kcd based on the performance of the upgraded TN31 (about 140 kcd). I also don’t know if they changed the driver or anything else with this one but I would assume it is the same. The build quality was EXCELLENT on my original K40 and I haven’t heard anything bad about them from anyone else.

Comparing your lights, which would you say offers a higher build quality? Thrunite or Supbeam.

Or are they equal in that regard?

Right. And keep in mind, everyone, that on a light with this much mass, the set drive to the emitter may be overshot, ending up with it drawing and putting out actually more. I’m still excited about this one. And how many times have we seen great lights that are throwers marked as doing “200 meters”? The bad specs work both ways.

Completely equal. In fact the tubes fit on each other’s head. The battery carriers were interchangeable. I don’t have the K40 anymore because I sold it to Vinh. I also don’t have the regualar TN31 anymore but I do still have a TN31mb by OSTS. These lights are almost identical in form and function. I actually prefered the K40 due to the size/weight of the smaller head despite the very small difference in throw.

Ahhh, ok, read TurboBB's review on the L3 Illumination K40 (more of a true SupBeam clone) and I see other differences of reflector depth, looks like no SS bezel, etc. But he does say the SupBeam is driven at 3.0 amps (old model) - wonder if that was measured or from specs.

Now I did get the L3 Illumination version that was supposed to be driven harder (3.5 or 4 amps I can’t remember). However, I believe someone tested both and found that the Supbeam’s version was in fact driven to the same levels as the L3 Illuminaiton version so the only advantage to the L3I version was the excellent customer service, the extra QC, and the fast shipping from a US source.

That was from specs, and what L3 wanted. When I bought my K40 from Supbeam, they had produced a 3.5A version for someone (the German forum iirc), so he sent me one of those.

Either way, it’s a great light.

May be there’s lack of communication among departments.
For example this one:
Supbeam S50

In manual:
Four types of output: —-> the other mode is turn off? :smiley:
High output: 120 lumens(1 hour 40 minutes)
Medium mode: 30 lumens (7 hours)
Low mode: 3 lumens (50 hours)
Max beam length: 50 metres
Impact resistance: 1.5 metres
Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
Cree XP-G2 LED (R5) with lifespan of 50,000 hours
Uses one 1.5V AA battery
Size: 79mm(length)x17.1mm(diametre)
27-gram weight (excluding battery)
Reliable twist switch
Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve
as a candle
Made of stainless 304
Toughened untra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating. —-> yes, mistype untra not ultra.

Stainless steel product and the item that I received is XP-G2, same as in manual.
How many company selling XP-G2 but stated it as XP-G on their website? :smiley:

Ohh, thanks Woody and lintonindy. Hhmm, maybe gotta get one for $83, great deal at that price, sounds like -- little smaller than a TN31, same or better quality, and seems to be mod'able the same way. Fully modded, seems like it will be slightly behind a TN31, but definitely better than a 7G9.

Nick - add me for 1 piece on the list!

You made a great choice and if my money was better I would pick up at least one as well. Oh well, that’s the good thing about technology if you wait you’ll always get a better product. I might just wait long enough to get a modded one by you good sir!

we have a well respected member who would like to buy 5 pieces, so this may get the ball rolling on both forums i am hoping.

I will leave him unnamed until he posts