GB Interest ///OFFICIALLY CLOSED 11/8 @ 9pm CST/Maxtoch M24 Sniper with XP-L HI /// 250K lux @ 4.3 Amps!!!

The NewZeland hunters use the stock drivers as is far as I know and with no ill effects that I have heard of.

These guys shoot thousands of round a year hunting rabbits mostly with different calibers including shotguns, so I would think the driver is fine as it sits.

Dale and TomE both can probably verify that driver sits in there pretty darn solid on the shelf with the other piece holding it down very solidly in place. I really don’t think you will have any problems with it to be honest.

Edit: and again quick draw McGraw (Dale) beat me to the punch with an answer……hahaha

Its ok Dale you keep right on a talkin and get that 10,000th post quicker so you can get the GW done :bigsmile:

Bout the ruggedness to take jolts from a recoil, from what I see the big coil is secured down by epoxy pretty good on 2 sides, and the driver is locked in there by the ring that is secured down with those 4 SS screws. It's quite secured - one of the best I've seen locked down, but accessible easily. Of course a complete or heavy amt of potting would be the best, as Dale suggested. Again, Iv'e seen drivers more in need of that than this one though.

The other issue for jolts is the batteries and springs. 2 cells is twice the weight, so you need some beef in the springs, and these springs are pretty good, good stiffness. You could run 22 or 20 AWG wires down the middle of the springs (bypass) and that would help the spring stiffness and potentially reduce the chance of a brief disconnect or flicker, but a pair of protected cells seem to fit pretty tight in there anyway.

Haven’t got mine yet, but I was contemplating either a tubular non-conductive spacer or perhaps an o-ring or three placed to transfer the load to the body or head instead of only the spring would solve any potential problem. I don’t think any spring alone could withstand this much force without excessive movement, and I’d rather not have that load placed on a phenolic or ‘glass board (especially if it ’slammed’ the force onto it) if I can have something more substantial handle it. I’m not shy of recoil but this thing is a real sharp kicker and the recoil pad won’t help the light even if it helps me.

Phil

With SingPost, it got delivered late afternoon when tracking is showing “Notification of shipment confirmation”.

Open up one of the three unit to check, everything is in order except for a black metallic particle on the led and some condensation on the reflector after some use of the light (after it is cooled). No big deal, will open it up to dehumidify and blow the particle away.

Wow the hot spot is so intense it hurts my eyes, do not stare at it at close proximity!

Interested myself - did a little research. This thread: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/purpose-of-inductor-in-buck-converter.130869/ is pretty good, and post #11 says it pretty well, and post #18 has a link to a sample buck driver circuit design which seems pretty good.

The simulators really do the bulk of proving out a design in today's world. Less dependence on the bench tests when you can see signals in real-time, simulated. Guys at work here use them all the time - every design is proven in simulation first.

I'm not sure if the big bulky toroid inductors are the way to go in today's designs though - seems dated. Take Richards' design for example - probably other options available, at least more compact enclosed packaging. His L1 inductor used here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/32835 is the equivalent I'm guessing.

Either way, the need for an inductor increases the need for a larger size driver to put it on. The donut shaped toroid is listed all over the place as the most efficient, but where size is an issue there have to be some compromises I’m sure.

I have the small square inductors for the Seis-um driver, but now I don’t have a light that driver will go in so I have one built and another waiting on standby… I also have similar inductors that were part of the Knucklehead design some time back that didn’t pan out.

Edit: My Sniper is at the local Post Office, carrier might feel stalked by the time he get’s here with it later. :wink: (Might have to call him and intercept him somewhere, lol) [yes, I have my carrier’s phone number. Whaaaaat?]

Got it!
Right out of the box, with an old pair of rested Panasonic PD’s, it does 228.5Kcd. Works for me! :slight_smile: Thanks David, Amanda, sweet one!

That’s not bad at all, thanks for update.

I am gonna go out and to some comparison shots if the rain holds off after dark tonight with the older one to see how they stack up.

David,
Got the light today complete with all the extra’s I ordered. Looks good and throws Great!
I will never open up the head as the reflector has no dust, none inside, nor any marks.
Really think this is one factory hot rod that nails it and does not need to be messed with.
The logo is printed level as is the BLF-TE.

YOU DID GOOD AND THANK YOU!
Big thanks also to Amanda for handling her end, everything was as ordered and packed very well.
This was my first Maxtoch purchase but will not be the last. Incredible build quality and fit and finish.

I ordered extra holsters and they will work for many other big head lights and protect them well.
What a deal.
Later,
Keith

Great to hear muto, glad it is living up to the hype so far, hope everyone is well pleased with these lights when they get them.

Dang, everyone is getting theirs and mines still in stinkin’ transit… I’m not bitter, though, just anxious! I can’t wait till it gets here after seeing what everyone else is posting!

Got mine…and is just as expected…AWESOME! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again Robo and Amanda! :slight_smile:

Did some comparison beamshots with the OLD vs New M24.

It was misty when I did these but they still came out decent and I am sure would be even better in clear weather.

175 yds OLD

175 yds NEW

400 yds Old

400 yds NEW

Cows 180 yds OLD

Cows 180 yds NEW

I see UFO's, or are those floating light orbs? Nice improvement there... Smile

All these Texans getting M24s and not one of the four on order has shown up at my Texas home. Oh the humanity… :_(

Darn…I must have missed The Punisher AR option :wink:

Seriously cool weaponry :exmark:

Nice!

Gr8 shots man! I’m about to load mine up and light up the sky. I came home to mine today and man it is flawless! Inside the bag came with holster, accessories and p-switch. Getting the package wrap off was harder than being patient lol

Once again thank you Robo & Amanda! Outstanding job on gettin this done!

glad ya got it, Enjoy :party: