GB Oficially closed/// Maxtoch 2X Shooter (new version)

Apples to apples, both have de-domed XM-L2 emitters. The XP-G2 has a much smaller die so of course it’s a tighter beam. About the highest lumens though is some 1100, as compared to 1400-1600 from the larger emitter. In other words, the de-domed XP-G2 takes a Buck driver to make 5.5A and is a pencil beam with lower lumens concentrated in a hot spot. I kept my M2X-UT single cell for it’s compact nature.

I’d test them both again but my Shooter how has an XHP-35 in it. The Shooter’s numbers are fairly well known though, so I’ll check the Javelot in the morning and see what it’s Kcd output is.

I recall saying something along those lines here a couple of years ago. :frowning:

what? you put a xhp35 in it? why not a xhp35 HI instead? and why? you wanted more lumens?
the throw must have dropped considerably right? maybe only 200kcd

Here is a few of Dales post on the 2 emitters in the 2X.

wow, good stuff. i think it was a good trade off. i was really off with the kcd….cant believe you got 280kcd!
still curious to know what a xhp35HI would do though.

I think that is a HI version in his 2X. Also, in another measurement, last link in 2nd post above, he measured 326Kcd.

Is there a short tube for the 2x? In general it should be possible to run this light on 2 16350 batteries to make it more compact? Of course with shorter run times…
K.

Currently there is not a short tube designed to work with the 2X. I don’t think the 2x16350 would deliver the current needed for the buck driver in the current model 2X though , even if you did have a tube to fit those.
But I have been wrong before…lol

EDIT: the older model M24 DID have a short tube that worked with that one , but it had a lower current driver in it. I put the tube off a Convoy C8 on the older M24 and it worked with a single 18650 , where as the new 2X and M24 will not work with the single cell with that tube.

Ideal batteries would be 2x 18350 . Of course they could handle the current (keeppower imrs or enercig i use can handle up to 9-10 amps)

DANG … of course I meant 2x 18350… two of them could deliver the voltage needed…

Saw your guys post last night about those tubes and knew I had a couple and as matter of fact I think Amanda told me the 2 I bought were the last.
They are for the M24 Sniper, I missed the GB but still bought the light from Amanda just without the BLF branding, and bought these single cell tubes also.
Tried one last night on the 2X with 2 18350’s and seemed to work fine. At 1600mAh I don’t think your going to get much run time obviously
Sorry about crap pics but got pissed off at my old camera so had to use my cell phone until the New camera arrives, That single cell tube is on the 2X…

You’re not going to get 1600mAh from two 18350 cells in series, but you will get 8.4v.

600mAh maybe…

Yes, thanks Robert & Dale, I could tell that in just the time it took me to snap a picture and flip through the modes a couple times that on those old Efest cells there was not much left when I took the picture.
Certainly not something you’d want on your 2X, the M24 it works well put still doesn’t give a lot of run time on one cell.

Thanks a lot, so there WAS a short tube for the M24 that fits the Shooter and that is not sold anymore? Bummer.
Since I´m already typing here and I wanted to ask for a longer time: what´s the reason for the 2 x 18650 in series resulting in 8,4V anyway? The XM-L2 is a 3 V LED any could easily be driven with one 18650 or one 26650? So the driver must be a buck driver lowering the voltage for the LED to work…

K.

Runtimes and stable output from my point of view .

If you need 4 volts 4.5 amps @ the led , with the buck driver you will get 8.4V less current from the batteries (about half , depending drivers efficiency).

Also , a proper buck driver holds steady output until batteries run out (or a very good amount of time) .

Sounds logical, thank you. One more question though: is the buck driver “depending” on the increased voltage to operate? Or to put it differently: could the driver operate the light with ONE 18650 ?

K.

I don’t remember all the exact info but I think this 2X light pushes a lot of amps and I think it needs the 8.4volts, Robo would know for sure.
These single cell extensions I have work great on the M24 Sniper the light they were made for and with just a single cell and they also fit perfect in the 2X, I had forgot I bought them but do remember Amanda saying when those were gone they weren’t making anymore so I bought the last two she had, don’t know why, maybe I thought someday someone would want one real bad and pay me a ton of something for one of them or trades or maybe I just like to by the last two of anything haha… Oh boy I better head to bed.
As I mentioned the 2x did work with my extension and 2 18350’s but I’ll tell you this I was just a little worried that I’d vent one or both of those cells, just seemed like to much sag I think it’s called for these small cells and this particular light, I’ll try a VTC5 in the 2x tomorrow and see what happens, I don’t know either if I need to run two cells in the 2X or not honestly,

Edit: Hi Robo, haven’t forgot you, I’m still writing my message, scary thought?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I’d go with Georges explanation… sounds right to me from what I remember about what’s in the 2X

When I used the Convoy C8 tube and a single cell the 2X would come on and go right back off with fresh cell.

The NEW M24 has the same driver so I would expect the same results. However if T18 used the new M24 then he did say he got his to work up there^

The older M24 with only 3.2 to 3.4 amp driver (instead of the 4.5 amps as the new ones have) worked fine on one cell though and is what the single tubes were made for to the best of my knowledge.

Hi Robo, actually in that beam shot pic that was the 2X with 2 - 18350’s running it, I really couldn’t believe it worked.
Those tubes was from the last Maxtoch special edition GB, matter of fact wasn’t that your GB also?,
I didn’t get in the GB, but Amanda told me she had a couple of that same light with BLF upgrades but they just didn’t have the special BLF branded tube with, BLF SE, or whatever it was, anyhow that was when I saw those tubes and got them to use with that light, as it turned out the single cell tube made the light seem awkward or nose heavy and just not easy to hold on to so put the tubes in the tube box and forgot I had them.
But two 18350’s will light up the 2X I really didn’t think it would and got nervous about sag so quit messing around before I vented some cells,

Edit: Wow, Robo, I have never went to one of your links in your signature bar but went to the M24 Sniper vid and you sure do have a lot of videos, and that is the light those tubes are for on the tube I have it has the word “Strobe” on the end by the head and your supposed to twist the head to go to strobe, has an arrow showing to go left, never tried it so maybe it’s for one of the even earlier M24’s, I am not even sure now actually.