Group Buy-BLF X6-SE OP update-GB over.

> wish they would release the host version

Everyone’s work is appreciated. Personally my question is whether or not the light can be run continuously on High mode. Pretty obviously not on Turbo but I have always felt that the step below maximum output should allow continuous operation without overheating under most circumstances. Make sense?

+1, I know many of us are planning on using these as build hosts to sell to non BLF members, that’s why the BLF engraving is so important to me, to hopefully get the recipients of the lights to come here and join the forum.

To reiterate I don’t care if the lights come with a ~500mAh AA driver and a 5mm LED or even nothing at all. I can’t wait any longer, I have people that have been waiting ~6 weeks now for these new bodies I’ve talked up and got everyone very interested in. At this point either please make the BLF engraved host bodies available for immediate purchase or I have to pull out. I will still buy myself a single BLF unit whenever they’re finally ready but unless I can buy hosts this week I’m gonna have to go ahead and order non-SE lights now.

I can not wait any longer, Adega has made me a very good offer on empty hosts and at this point I’m loosing customer’s interest waiting on samples of parts that mean nothing to me in the first place… I understand the work this is taking for all you guys but you guys have to understand our point of view (modders who do stuff for sale like Tom and myself). Sorry to be a dick but if the hold up really is only the driver’s performance then the bodies much be made right and just sitting there ready so why can’t we buy them now? 90% of the people here will wait for the finished light but I can’t afford to wait any longer, I’m not buying 5+ lights for my self, I’m buying them to build for sale (they will be built into the thrower version of RGBW_Clicky).

FWIW i was fairly happy with the first driver and agree with DCBstm,factory resistor mod,if not,do it ourselves,if not,some members may be willing to do it for others.Better a 50% medium in the hand than 5/25/100% in the bush :stuck_out_tongue:

Or a technical perfectionist, which is much the same but sounds better.

For me, if the light is a BLF Special Edition then modding it removes that distinction. So if you were to stuff it with such an RGB set-up, it’s no longer the Special Edition light and that engraving should be scraped off. This is due to the fact of the work that went into making it earn that badge of honor. Change it, and it’s no longer worthy of the name if wears.

If you want lights to mod, buy the stock X6 or whatever from wherever. I do understand your position, but don’t understand you wanting to apply it to this light. This light is being made to fit the demands of a great many that do not modify lights, that’s the appeal…getting it from the factory in a modified variant without having to do anything to it to make it good.

As if $18.89 were too much to pay for the build of the light alone. What other light can be bought with HA Type III anodizing for under $20? This isn’t a modders light, it’s a Users light. Pure and simple.

And if I’m not mistaken, it’s already been said that the BLF engraving will not be on the host only when it’s offered.

it looks vaguely familiar

from my review of the Thorfire C5

Rotate mine 90º counter clockwise and it has many of the same components minus the coiled wire

I can wait. I have at least a couple dozen other projects on my list…

But if the bare hosts were available I might decide to go for those instead of assembled products.

Even if I make tweaked versions for my own use though, the full product would still be very useful. Since so many people will have one, it may be a good reference point for calibrating measurement equipment. Not to mention… my first real BLF light, which is a special thing all by itself.

Dale said-“And if I’m not mistaken, it’s already been said that the BLF engraving will not be on the host only when it’s offered.”

You lost me there buddy. :stuck_out_tongue: Were you saying that the BLF engraving is going to be on the group buy only and not on the host version when that comes out.

I can see both Dale’s and CK’s points. Maybe a host version could be sold with engraving that says, “BLF Host”. I’d pay a smidge more for an empty host that referenced the site. I like the 1200 lumen turbo, but only with an automatic step down. This is going to be a user for non modders that might fry a hot light.

One thing I recognize about that driver: A terrible solder job.

I agree with everything you just wrote, I wish I had thought of the light as a frame of reference for comparison and measurement. Genius.

I’ll pay a few dollars more for a good quality driver with extremely high frequency PWM (or none at all). Because that’s what I’ll have to change it out for if the driver sucks anyway…

Tell them we don’t want a “cheap as hell” light please. I doubt if a single person on here would drop out if the price went up a dollar or two for a quality component.

The BLF engraving was an option at 200 hosts in the group buy.

Since this latest driver is sooooo far off the mark, I have to wonder who is doing what at the EE (Eagle Eye) end. Is there an EE (Electrical Engineer …or electrical tech) at EE that can actually test and verify a prototype product, that it meets spec. before shipping half way around the world?

Sorry, I just don’t get it when you have a 600+ order waiting on the other end.

That seems weird to me, the idea that a forum of folks so heavily into modding lights should take the stance that a 'BLF Edition' light should, ethically, be un-moddable.

I understand it, and can't say I disagree with it, but it still seems odd.

Maybe we need an officially engraved 'BLF Host'.

CK - think maybe krono stated that earlier that the host only was gonna be labeled Eagle Eye or no label, but not BLF Specal Edition. Still - please Neal, provide them now - no reason to delay.

Either they think it will reduce sales of the BLF SE version, or the production/batch of the hosts is somehow connected to the BLF SE, and priority will go to the BLF SE's before the bare hosts. For the reasons Dale explained, nearly all the BLF SE's will be for non-modders anyway, so releasing the hosts for sale should not be detrimental to the sales of the BLF SE version.

For you CK, if you want the logo, might have to buy the full up BLF SE's anyway, or maybe do some sort of custom logo yourself, dunno...

Dale - are you getting 3.7A turbo without copper wired springs, and on what cell? They are not gonna do the springs for the run, are they?

All I did was pull the stock emitter and put it on a Noctigon, then I pulled the R120 sense resistor and put a R070 in it’s place. So the driver has an R082 and R070. No braided springs. No other modifications. Well, it’s got some special markations from it’s little 60 mph journey, other than that it’s the exact same as when I got it.

Efest Purple 35A 18650, well rested.

I didn’t say it would be un moddable with the Special Edition badge. I said it would not be the Special Edition light if it were modded. The BLF logo identifies it as a group effort. If the driver is removed, then it’s no longer that light.

A man ran a stop sign and got pulled over by the police. The officer was surprised when the driver argued that he slowed down, and nobody was coming so he went on. The officer pulled out his nightstick and proceeded to beat the man to the ground! The driver was screaming “Stop! Please stop!” and the officer asked the man “Do you want me to Stop, or slow down?” Technical, perhaps, but there IS a difference.

Of course, the 600+ lights spoken for in this thread will be done with as their owners please. Hard to imagine more than a small percentage will be modified IF EE get’s it right according to the wishes of this Group Buy. Something akin to paying for an Uncirculated Proof Silver Dollar, then using it to buy an ice cream off the local truck. You CAN, but why?

+1
Exactly my thoughts.

As long as they don't glue up the head and/or tail, it will be fine. I'm glad the BLF A8 and BLF Mini were decent stock, moddable, and still branded. I still like the A8, but the mini finally went in the circular file.

Walking around the house in an ambient 80ºF with the light in my left hand, Turnigy IR gun at the finned portion of the head….for 10 minutes in High… it pretty much stabilized at 117.9ºF.