Group Buy-BLF X6-SE OP update-GB over.

Not that I care too much about looks, but, somehow I don’t really want to look like I just found it in the garbage and rubber banded it together though… :wink:

I can share what you write, sure, a driver with a constant output increased the demands on the batteries, but the Wizard in the picture is original, not modded by me, Armytek sell it that way.

All flashlight that ensure constant light output (there are many) using this system, it ’s the only way to maintain the same current to the LED when the battery voltage drops.

However, up to 6+ A. a 18650 Li-ion battery whith a normal discharge ( 2C ) has no problems and is not dangerous, if is 3C or even not even reach the limit.

True Altair, the high discharge cells have 10C or more When Full. 2500mAh capacity with a 30A discharge rate is nice indeed, but what about when the cell is nearing empty? Does it work that way then as well? If only 300mAh remain in the cell, 10C is 3A, but the circuitry is asking 20C of it, when it's almost dead. I'm just wondering here, because I don't know and I would like to.

I was reading that the step down feature on this light is NOT activated by heat, but by time (3 minutes?) Anybody test theirs? Can the timer actually be set to a specific number? I tested mine and it stepped down at about 3 minutes, 25 seconds. Just curious. Thanks.

Its definitely not by heat, as there is no need to ever step it down. Specs say 3 mins, but I haven’t actually timed mine…

These cells are designed for laptops (or power tools).

There may be power modes for laptops that cut power consumption as the batteries get low, but for the most part, I think that laptops run full-tilt until the battery gets too low or until the CPU/GPU get downclocked for thermal management reasons. Any laptop cell will have to meet these demands, which means higher currents as the cell voltage drops. Of course, depending on how laptop packs are sized, they may not see as heavy a drain as some of these lights are subject to.

Thought I covered that with the sample, as I recall mine stepped down at about 3 minutes and 15 seconds. I ran it for over an hour and saw the shut down feature that I've never seen before in a light.

A tap on the rubber clicky resets turbo if you need it to keep going. But yeah, it will die down down when the cell drops.

Some of the Armytek drivers offer what they call flat regulation. In other words, the driver will attempt to keep the output to the emitter at whatever current is required according to the output mode (level) you haven chosen. This was first introduced on the Predator.

However, even with this feature enabled (you can choose semi-step regulation instead) there is no risk of damaging the cell. Tests show that once the cell is unable to sustain the increasing current, the light will gradually step down to a lower level.

These drivers have a low-voltage shutoff as well so no risk of over discharge.

The only downside to this flat regulation is a lesser overall runtime. Given your descriptions of your lights and how you use them Dale, surely this kind of driver should interst you? I just wish I knew where I could get drivers like this.

Maybe not my smartest move buying a Samsung INR18650-25R cell for this light after first reading the seller statement “NOT protected! Don’t buy this unless you know what you are doing! This battery is NOT for flashlights!”then having to check “Yes, I know these batteries can be dangerous” before continuing to PayPal.

what website was this on?

It’s http://www.nkon.nl / http://eu.nkon.nl/

batteries are safe, but the conductor that touches both end is dangerous. :slight_smile:

That must be nkon.nl. It is just that you don't blame the seller if you do stupid things with it. And 'normal' () people will never need such a high drain cell in a non-customised flashlight anyway, so the warning is a good idea.

Yup! was cautioned at nkon.nl but apart from that it seemed to be a good idea if living in Europe shopping for cells in Europe

I couldn’t resist buying ncr18650pf for 3,25€ so i bought 30 :smiley:

I would never need 30, but that is a great price for a great cell!

I’ll be giving some of them away in powerbanks for december gifts :slight_smile:

Actually this isn’t quite true. Regulated lights can only offer the high output while the battery is able to supply the amps and volts. As soon as these drop, any light, premium or budget will fall out of regulation.

Many modern lights in the premium market either use direct drive for MAX turbo outputs, or indeed step down after a period of time. The flat regulation they offer is then at a lower output and only while the battery source can power it.

Managed to try out my newly arrived CW version last night.

On my DDM it draws within 0.02amps of the NW version.

CW:

NW:

Hi DCB,

the discharge rate (expressed with 2C-3C-10C etc.) is always calculated on the maximum theoretical capacity, not on the remaining capacity.
A battery as Panasonic PF 2900 mAh is able to provide 10A even when under 3 Volt, Just do not exceed the limit (2.5 volts) and avoid dangerous.

If the battery is only 2C (as NCR18650B ) however is designed to provide 7 A. throughout its discharge curve, which is at 4 volts or 3 volts as.

The driver is designed to turn off or down to the lowest level when voltage reaches 2.8 V, or simply turns off because he not can provide the correct power and goes into protection.

We are assured, the builders know what they do, but it is important to use good batteries, never use a cheap battery of unknown brand in a flshlight with constant light.