GYRFALCON S8000, S4000 Pro Battery Charger & Analyzer

I have some chargers which can discharge NiMH with 4x 1A fanless, I think a future FW-update which allow fanless operation in this point would be nice.

I got it. Thanks very much.
we will add an option in GSV for users to decide whether to start the fan during NiMH discharge.

3 Thanks

In theory could it be possible to upgrade the discharge current (for only one slot!) to 2 A or is it limited by hardware (PCB components)?

This is the only real issue I have with the S8000, since the MC3000 has discharge current of 2 A and even the cheaper Vapcell S4+ has 1 A discharge.

1 Thank

In theory could it be possible to upgrade the discharge current (for only one slot!) to 2 A

The current HW version does not support 2A discharge; slight adjustments need to be made.

This is the only real issue I have with the S8000, since the MC3000 has discharge current of 2 A and even the cheaper Vapcell S4+ has 1 A discharge.

Our main considerations in designing the discharge function are as follows:

1. The discharge current should be stable with minimal fluctuations.
  2. The current sampling values should be accurate.
  3. Efficient heat control is crucial, ensuring that even in the event of fan failure, uncontrollable issues wonā€™t arise.
    With the first and second points, the capacity values during discharge will be highly accurate.
1 Thank

2A with LiIon causes a lot of heat, itĀ“s like 6A on NiMH.

I understand koef3 for testing high capacity cells but I think overall itĀ“s more realistic/practical to discharge lower current in more slots. ItĀ“s also easier for heat distribution.

@koef3

The Vapcell can only discharge 1A in the outer slots and getting -for me- a bit to warm overall, if you also use the inner slots with 2x0,5A LiIon itĀ“s getting more worse. IĀ“m not sure how the longevity is if you do it often, but I know the Opus BT-C3100 can discharge 4x 1A with LiIon, have a noisy fan and get problems with the discharging resistors if you use it often

The ISDT C4 EVO can discharge 1,5A with LiIon and is even with 1 cell very annoying because of the fan. Maybe you should think about a hobby charger to get high discharge currents

For flashlight usecases it is not realistic to only discharge 18650/21700 with 1 amp. In flashlights we discharge with a lot more than 1 Amp. Realistic assumptions for flashlight use cannot be made with this low discharge current.

And the MC3000 manages somehow the heat management for discharge with 2 Ampā€¦

And maybe it is possible to lock the discharge function in the firmware for the other three slots if 2 Amps are selected for one slot. I donā€™t see the real problem here for heat management tbh.

Anyway, I like you activity here in the forum and that you are patiently answer the questions :slight_smile:

Maybe we are not representative for all customers, but I wanted to ask you whether you could ask here what charger we need and design it, then I saw this topic (which I didnĀ“t know till 2day)

The the S4000/S8000 is the result of that topic?

1 Thank

For flashlight usecases it is not realistic to only discharge 18650/21700 with 1 amp. In flashlights we discharge with a lot more than 1 Amp. Realistic assumptions for flashlight use cannot be made with this low discharge current.

I now truly understand your requirements. Iā€™ve also made a note of it.

I donā€™t think itā€™s reasonable to expect that level of testing from consumer chargers. One should expect that to require specialized equipment.

1 Thank

but I wanted to ask you whether you could ask here what charger we need and design it

Yes, We have always attached great importance to user feedback, opinions, or suggestions.

The the S4000/S8000 is the result of that topic?

Seeing this post reminds me of many things, as we say in Chinese, ā€œshĆ­ niĆ”n mĆ³ yÄ« jiĆ n, 十幓ē£Øäø€å‰‘, sharpening a sword takes ten years - :cry:ā€.
Itā€™s not about the result, itā€™s about continuity, Itā€™s not the endpoint.

3 Thanks

OK, I think I donĀ“t have such flashlights

Thta requires the correct hardware, can the MC3000 discharge 2A in every slot or only in one special slot?

But I guess Scallywag is right, you maybe except to much from a compact size consumer charger, It sound you looking more for a voltage stability-test than a capacity test?

I still think a hobby charger is that what you need but donĀ“t want :grin:

These chargers are made for higher currents, have other size and often a fan, so it can easily handle it while a 4-slot-charger must have annoying fans to not melt

IMO, the more features, the better.

Definitely interested in this charger if it has as good a fetureset or better than the MC3000.

1 Thank

Call me a cheapskate, but Iā€™ve been waiting for a full featured charger thatā€™s cheper than an a MC3000, but still as capable or near as capable. Iā€™d pay a bit more for one than a Vapcell s4, which has been perfect for my needs so far. Can you get it in under $70 US? Thatā€™s 50% more than the Vapcell s4.

1 Thank

I am pretty sure that the MC3000 is also a consumer charger, and discharge test will also be used as capacity test.
There is no technical problem not to include 2 A discharge test. If you donā€™t need this feature, you donā€™t have to use itā€¦

Right, I want to keep this whole battery thing simple and in clean design (my charger sits on a desk so good design is nice to have), KISS principle.

2A discharge is possible for just one slot if other slots arenā€™t being used.

If you want to discharge multiple cells simultaneously, then the discharge current will be limited to 1A for each cell.

1 Thank

And the slot can be choosed? Becaue I know chargers from Dlyfull which can do discharge/test only in Slot 4

Jep, and AFAIK itĀ“s the only one which can do it. The next with 1,5A discharge for itĀ“s 2 slots is the ISDT C4 EVO

So we can assume the Gyrfalcons are not a 1:1-copy from the MC3000 :grin:

As long as the hardware allow it, yes. But I donĀ“t know whats inside the charger, if the discharge resistors not made for this current itĀ“s simply not possible to do it

I understand you, so good luck to find a charger for it :slight_smile:

That means get the MC3000 :slightly_smiling_face:

I saw in this topic that a user give you the hint to take a look to the MC3000, later on I saw the date of the topic :no_mouth:

Jep, it took some time and the S4000/S8000 are the 1st Gyrfalcon chargers IĀ“m interested because I like chargers which can do more than charge.

Glad you decided to ask the ppl what they want, not many companies do that directly

1 Thank

Oh I assumed you meant much higher. I have a light that will sustain ~6A runtime for the entire battery life, and many lights that turbo over 15A. 2A vs 1A isnā€™t a concern for me, most of my edc lights have sustainable output below 1A even.

2 Thanks

the more features, the better.

Welcome to follow our latest charger. :grinning:
I am passionate about chargers and flashlights, and we have many ideas about chargers. Please also share your new ideas with us.

1 Thank

You might consider exploring our Gyrfalcon S4000 Pro. :grinning:

Glad you decided to ask the ppl what they want, not many companies do that directly

We hope and are willing to do so. At the same time, we also have an idea: to enhance and complete more functions through communities. We can also consider partially opening up the source code to some collaborators for communication.

3 Thanks