GYRFALCON S8000, S4000 Pro Battery Charger & Analyzer

I don’t get why there are these weird non-intuitive error codes, like in a hightech-washing machine.

After all, there is not even a reason to use such error codes here, as there is a usable, fairly large display.

2 Thanks

I agree, but one way or the other the errors should be explained in the documentation.

1 Thank

I agree completely. Honestly I have used magnets with LiIon cells in the past, but I cringe every time I have done it. I mentioned the magnets to illustrate that Enova is aware of the problem. It probably won’t do me any good (joys of early adoption), but maybe future models will have the problem resolved.

1 Thank

something abbreviated like “Err: MaxCap” is infinitely more informative than eg “Error 6”

Error 1-5, display as “Err: Timeout”
Error 6, display as “Err:MaxCap”

1 Thank

the script is executed in the Windows app, right? If so, please make sure there’s either a Linux version

Supports Linux, Windows, and macOS.

Firmware(3.0.33) supporting configuration and control scripts has been released. Users can implement arbitrary test sequences using control scripts.
The PC software supports multithreading and can control four channels simultaneously using four threads, each running a different test sequence.

2 Thanks

This is a teardown video of the Gyrfalcon S8000 from TimMc, thanks very much.

2 Thanks

We close to end of september, still not able to see the S8000 in a german shop …

Maybe a bit more development and firmware programming is needed before we can buy it :smiley:

To be honest, I’m not as interested as I was a few months ago. My S4+ just works absolutely fine, and you can also get battery analysis (especially if higher currents are required, 1 A is just not very much) with an electronic load and proper setup. (This requires some knowledge of course)

I already have the S4+ since 2,5 years and some other chargers, but none from Enova because they had no interesting chargers for me in the past.

If FW is updatable by user they don´t need to delay the release (it´s already available in some areas), only if they change hardware.

The s8000 is a good charger overall. I have been using mine quite a bit.
I do have a question for @enova18650.com . I tried to use it to charge some 1.5 volt liIon cells the other day. I could not get it to work. I selected that battery type and had all the settings correct (I think) but the machine kept throwing an error sayin that I was using the wrong voltage. ???
Any ideas on what I can check.

Thank you for your patience.
We shipped a small batch of Gyrfalcon S4000 Pro by sea to the German warehouse in mid-month for purchase by testers and developers. The shipment has not yet arrived at the German warehouse, and products for the EU region will be dispatched from there. The firmware version of this batch is 3.0.33, with the design of the positive contact and negative terminal remaining consistent with the S8000, without any changes. The S4000 Pro has the same accuracy and functionality as the S8000, with the only difference being that the S4000 Pro only supports 1A charging.
The pre-sale is expected to start from October 1st to 7th, during which we will offer very generous discounts (priced lower than the S4+). The purchase link will be posted soon, so please stay tuned.

1 Thank

I selected that battery type and had all the settings correct (I think) but the machine kept throwing an error sayin that I was using the wrong voltage. ???

Set GSV-LISP DISABLE to YES.

Thanks for that information! I didn’t find it anywhere else. Not a very obvious setting to use, I guess.

That worked. But what exactly does LISP DISABLE mean… what does it do? Any impact on other charging modes?

BTW, I also get a warning about the IR being high. I guess it is because the charger is reading the IR including that of the of the BMS… but it is worrying.

“LISP” means “Li-ion strong protection function”. It prevents Li-ion batteries below 2V from being charged.

1 Thank

Thanks. Though I would think that should not come into play when charging the 1.5 liIon cells with their own algorithm. It seems that this might be a good setting to leave enabled for standard (3.6/3.7 v) cells.

In any case, it worked. Though I am not fond of the fact that the capacity numbers are changed to mWhr.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Which batteries have you tried? The integrated charging controller can be a little weird if it toggles on and off at the beginning.

These types of batteries are usually rated by the capacity of the bare Li-ion battery. Due to voltage conversion Ah would become a little confusing. Actually Wh is the better unit in most cases because in our applications usually you don’t want to know how long the battery can deliver a specific current, but how much energy it can provide. The current will usually change, either proportional with the voltage for direct-drive and inversely for buck/boost drivers (because they need more current on lower voltage to maintain the power). One exception would be linear drivers.

I tried a couple The Xtar 4150 mWh cells and these Sinceholy (yeah, what a name, but really cheap on a recent Amzon flash sale) 3600mWh cells. They both worked OK once that LISP setting was changed.

Well I am used to using mAh and it makes comparisons easier for all of the cells I have documented over time. mAh lets me do a direct comparison with all of the NiMH cells I have tested. In fact, I think it is more representative of what I can expect to see in real world use. The mWh is calculated at the voltage (nominal) of the internal cell. I am in need of the data of what comes out of the system. True capacity in driving a load. Regardless of conversion losses or changing voltage over time, etc. So I can’t see how mWh is in any way better for my use case.

Just to back to the LISP thing for a minute. Wouldn’t it be reasonable to expect that the settings for the 1.5 volt cells to automatically disable a function that keeps them from being charged by default.? Rather than having to disable a safety function globally? IOW just include that setting in the function when that battery type is selected.

TOV displays Energy (in mWh), and the CSV (SOV) includes Capacity (in mAh) and Energy (in mWh).

I agree with that as well.

I agree with what SammysHP mentioned. The integrated charging controller can be a little weird if it toggles on and off at the beginning.

LISP prevents Li-ion batteries with a voltage below 2V from being charged (charging will not start if the battery voltage is detected to be below 2V). In addition, LISP also prevents risks when an LI420 or LIFEPO4 battery is mistakenly inserted while the battery type is set to LI150 (charging will not start if the battery voltage is detected to be above 2V).

Yes I understand that. The question is wouldn’t it be good to leave it on for all battery types other than the 1.5 LiIon cells? Because it is universal, unless you toggle it when changing back and forth from the 1.5 volt cell type, you lose the protection for all other battery types. Why not automatically toggle it for only the 1.5 volt cells?

OK, we agree to disagree. I don’t see where the confusion comes in at all. In the end, mAh is comparable between cell types. Plus, I think that many , if not most, folks are more familiar with measuring cells in mAh. I think current over time is more revealing for a given device than total energy available. Of course, I admit that this may come with familiarity.

BTW, what voltage is assumed when calculating the displayed mWh ?

That being said, it is good to be reminded that the mAh reading is available in the slot view. Thank you.

Not all LI150 batteries need to disable the LISP function, this mainly depends on the differences in the integrated charging controllers equipped in different LI150 batteries. We have accepted your suggestion and are considering splitting the strong protection function into two parts: LISP (for Li-ion and LIFEPO4 batteries) and LDSP (for LI150 batteries). This will allow us to provide more precise protection based on the characteristics of different battery types, ensuring safety and reliability during the charging process.

The calculation is based on real-time sampling of current and voltage (typically 4.85V).

2 Thanks