GYRFALCON S8000, S4000 Pro Battery Charger & Analyzer

Mine is stuck somewhere in China at the airline since last week. I’ve heard that others already received theirs. So I guess you’ll see some reviews in a few weeks. :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Ok, hopefully someone is doing same good measurements as HKJ did in the past.
I am only interested in graphs and charging capabilities/qualities. For UI and design and handling I don’t need a review, for this I can simply look into the user manual. @enova18650.com can you provide us a user manual in PDF format for the S8000?

Akkuteile.de telled me last week in the next 2 months the chargers should be available

I’ll try to make graphs for charging, discharging Li-ion and NiMH cells. It will take several hours to test each slot a few times. I’ll publish by mid-March.

2x ANENG AN9002 DMM with Bluetooth. 10x 0.1 ohm 1% resistors on a double sided copper PCB. Components are arriving from mouser today.

I don’t have any thermal cameras.

It’ll still be an amateur review compared to HKJ. :sweat_smile:

If the charts looking plausible and the setup is not broken by design then it will be good enough :slight_smile:
Looking forward to your review.

1 Thank

I have almost the same setup and it produced charts like these. This time I’ll try something like an incremental, interactive review: I start with an overview of the charger and add measurements whenever I got new results. Other users will probably ask questions that I’ll try to verify and answer. With time it should cover most of the important topics.

2 Thanks

Thanks for your help!

After reading more detailed info about the contacts of the charger I´m disappointed. It seems to be the - slider have only one nub which could be to high to insert a AAA(maybe also AA). Especially my AAA with isolated edge at - pole could be very problematic.

This should be reworked

1 Thank

Can someone send me the manual for the S8000 as PDF? I don’t know why it is not released yet since reviewers already have samples (where a final manual belongs to). @enova18650.com

Agree that the metal contacts should be redesigned to allow for proper contact with small cells and for flat top cells as well.

Yeah. SkyRC recognized this and released the revision of the MC3000 with improved “nubs” or bumps to address this.
My original version is a PIA to use with certain flat top cells. The newer one, much better.

This is something that definitely should be addressed prior to the formal release.

2 Thanks

Personally both at the same price I would go for the MC3000 without hesitation better known better charger longer on market, recognized brand etc.

I would never buy the S8000 if it cost the same as the MC3000, even for 20€ less I would not buy it.

It has to be known before with offers or cheaper prices at the beginning so that it can be tested and we can trust it, I thought it would be at a better price than the MC3000.

1 Thank

The tear down will reveal everything.

Like this one:

It doesn’t matter to you, you don’t want to buy it anyway. :man_shrugging:

I understand your approach, but you’ll always have this everywhere, with cars, household appliances, computer components, video games…
If everyone has the same thinking about new products, we don’t need to develop new products since no one would buy them :smiley:

Enova Gyrfalcon is also a recognized brand and the All44/88 seems to be very good chargers.

I don´t have an Enova so far but some Skyrcs which have good features, good performance but still some issues with NiMH-charging like late termination which leads to hot cells

I will give Enova a chance if it´s not to expensive

And at least in the beginning the MC3000 have also issues like defect springs, dunno whether it´s solved actually

1 Thank

I use a translator, maybe I am not explaining it well.

They asked at what price it should be sold.

And I read higher prices.

Personally as I said for a higher price I would not buy it as I would go to the MC3000 with its bugs and fixes.

But if it were cheaper if I would buy it.

I have several chargers and I don’t have the MC3000 for the price, I have the opus the xtar the bmax and a few others.

I have spent more than a good charger.

So if I were to buy the 8000 it would be on sale, because if I have to pay the same price I would buy the MC3000 which is the one I wanted from the beginning.

Then there is whether it will be for sale in the EU Zone, I don’t know that website where it is I shop at NKON.

I hope it is understood and sorry if I did not know how to explain myself.

1 Thank

This is what I meant I would give it a try if it is cheaper if not I would go for the familiar.

I have several chargers and I do not want to try more blindly and also more expensive.

If they put it at a good price if I would.

In my case I read so much and there was so much talk about the Opus that I bought it but I never use it, for me my Xtar works much better.

1 Thank

Yes. I agree with your thoughts. Especially with some of the things already mentioned to be problems with the 8000. Of course it seems that the unit is still in development. But it will have to be very good and less expensive by at least 20% + for it to replace the Mc3000s that I currently use.

It is a tool not an art display piece. I could care less about pretty when it comes to my tools. They just need to do what they are supposed to do reliably. I can’t get my head around it being some kind of fashion contest… :japanese_ogre:

2 Thanks

My charger sits usually in my living room, not in a workshop.

All those issues were thought to be fixed by the ‘third’ version - the one with the double fans. And indeed they do appear fixed.

1 Thank