hi do you like 2AA battery light? Jaxman M2 is ready

His smooth reflector talk worked for me, just ordered one :slight_smile:

Haha , well , his xp-e2 talk worked for me , but Mouser’s shipping stopped me from ordering 2pcs :stuck_out_tongue:

I have two torch leds spare, can send them to you?

I’ll send you a PM :slight_smile: Thanks !

Well, I am, could someone gather up pointers to, or a thread about, the modding info for the M2?
(There is some good info in the middle of this long multipage thread, around this comment

I have some LED triple boards I got that are wired serial — these are boards I’d like to put into a 2-cell light.

(Why? because my hands aren’t steady enough to redo the soldering to make the boards parallel wired, which I wish I could do)

Sounds like something I might have wrote, quit often write something, post it then get to thinking about it and figure know one would be interested and then delete it.
I keep forgetting that I am the one who originally discovered how modifiable this light is and posted the first pictures of my modding this light with a 17mm Mt. and then this light took off,
My original mod was the 16mm XHP50.2, forget what driver I used, Qlit zener I think.
Why I ever bought this light in the first place was sort of beyond me but I just happened to be at Jax when he posted these for sale and then his mention beside the AA battery config. specs he posted the cell size of 14500, that is what caused me to buy this M2, like a what if sort of scenario and then when I got it, it only took a glance to realize what was possible, the retainer ring to me was the absolute mind blower, who would have thought.
I to am looking at doing this light in a triple or quad, been doing a lot of measuring and looking at a number of spacers available that are around those dimensions, you could go take a look around here after you get some specs at kiriba-ru’s parts and spacers, plus he has some quad boards with optics, Low-cost copper pills, spacers, optics, drop-ins (Updated 23/10/2022))
I’ve also thought about a end mill and removing the 16mm pocket, tap it and thread some copper rod that would screw into where the pocket used to be and then with some 1.5mm thick copper heat sinks I have, stack those to make my spacer, attach it to me threaded rod, mount my mcpcb and then I could adjust the height of my home made spacer from the inside driver pocket, I know, crazy… It’s doable I think, just a matter of figuring out how, Kiriba’s spacers are probably the best going that I know of for simplicity and ready made parts, just need to figure out which is the best to work with and buy a bunch of sandpaper or a file, Dremel or all of that… ha ha, good luck…
By the way just looked at your link and that M2 is the one I sent Teacher and the mouse in the pictures was sent by my girl cat, I was loading a box of stuff to send Teacher and apparently she just dropped the mouse in the box, it was really great of Teacher to put that mouse in those pics, really made my day… By the way, you can just buy a Qlite zener from RMM and a 16mm mcpcb with the LED you want and just put it together, you don’t even really have to worry about these reflectors much for a casual build, they do throw fairly well, a lot better than I would have suspected, I also think the LED that is stock might handle quit a bit more power that what it is currently, just need to look at the specs.

Edit: Yes those are the original pics I posted on this light before anyone knew this light existed, but Hank there has been some really creative lights built around that platform since I posted those, those just showed what was possible and I’d just look through the many posts here and pick and choose what you like, there’s lots of links I’ve seen here, but probably none to do with triple or quad, except what I just posted as an idea that I was thinking about myself. I don’t think anyone is going to do a step by step build in triple or quad for you,

There was a recent thread about someone with a UV triple mcpcb, but it had two 0Ω smd resistors on it. If yours is like that, you can desolder those to break out individual ends of the LEDs, and then wire them in parallel.

[edit: Saw the following sentence you wrote, but didn’t mean you personally, but anyone who can do minimal soldering.]

I’ve been thinking about pulling the 50.2 from this M2 but it’s just such a neat little light I have had cause to hesitate. Was looking at it this afternoon and realized that it’s a Qlite with Zener mod, the moon wasn’t engaged so I did that, bridged star 2 and now I have 4 modes with the lowest being a very low output, really cool and it’ll make this so much more the keeper. :slight_smile:

Edit: Just measured moon mode at 0.483 lumens. :slight_smile: So from 1/2 a lumen to 3015 lumens, what a crazy range!

Dale, it would just be plain fun to play with some of your lights or browse your discarded parts box! I bet that is an awesome little light. I can’t make myself mod my one sample, bought it because it had good output on 2XAA batteries and with lithium primaries I can count on it in a storm when it is needed. I did like the driver enough to use one in my L2r as a second 2XAA light for the same purpose. But this one got a Nichia!

I gave my second one to my Dr., he was wanting a nice light but didn’t want something that could cause problems if his two boys got a hold of a hot rod. So I may have to get another and chop it for a single cell FET driven Nichia 319. :wink:

I was looking at this light and this is the only thread I found. Has anyone reviewed it, I am stuck between this and the Zanflare f2 nw or Sofirn sf13. I have a sf13 on the way. I was looking for a reliable and cheap 2aa flashlight, nw preferred and simple UI. Something I can buy a few of for backups.

I know someone who has an M2 and loves it. Even played with it a while. Built nice and solid. Highly Recommended.

Can’t speak to any of the others, as I don’t have any and don’t recall anyone who does (at least not that I’d be able to see one and play with it a while).

The simplicity of 2 modes, no crazy blinkies, etc, makes the M2 quite a nice light. Low for general-purpose use, high for when you need that extra oomf.

I’m generally not a fan of multi-AA lights, but if I needed one, I think my choice would be the M2, specifically because of the simple UI (and absence of any blinky modes) and its build-quality.

Again, not saying anything against the others; just that I don’t have any firsthand experience with them.

Ok that sounds good. What about the difference between the neutral white 5500k and warm white 4300k. I typically buy neutral white flashlights but maybe the 4300k would be better for outdoor activities, as long as it’s not yellow.
Also I think a YouTube review would be nice, I couldn’t find any.

Lately, anything above even 5000K seems “too blue” to me. 4300K is quite nice.

Don’t recall if the M2 uses AR-coated glass, but if it greenifies the tint too much, it’ll show up more with warmer CTs than cooler.

Hopefully those who have or saw both can comment here…

All I can comment on is the neutral white flashlights I have from Thrunite. They are much better than the typical blue led flashlights I used to use. I think 4300k might be even nicer as long as it’s not real yellow.

I’m the guy who first bought this light from Jaxman thinking whether or not I could run it as a 14500 and when I got it I discovered that I could drop a 17mm driver straight into the pocket with no mod at all, this is one of those sleeper lights for sure, if you run a zener modded Qlite or boost driver and a 16mm noctigon you will have a bad A light, it is whatever you want to make out of it.
If you go back to the early packages you might be able to find the original pics I dropped on this thread and it was a stunner for all the other modders here I assure you, pound for pound this light stomps mud holes in any other AA light I know of, I have 6 of these modded out in some fairly insane ways for sure, you can do anything you can think of with this light thanks to that driver pocket, look around for my pics and you’ll see what I mean, when I discovered what I had bought I was shocked that a 17mm driver would just drop in like that and first place I spilled the beans was here and it sure made for a great thread and Paul from Jaxman the owner told me that after I posted my pics his sales went through the roof on this light, I highly recommend this light if you mod, dead serious about that…!

By the way forgot to mention that stock it is also a awesome little light with a fairly decent driver, I have two that I use in my trucks and they are just stock, 2 modes I think but the tints are NW and with the OP reflector it is real good and the ano type 2 I’d guess and quality is second to none, a top notch product in every way imaginable frankly.

Ok, well it seems like a great light. Since I don’t mod my lights it’ll just come down to the price. It’s not the cheapest and since whatever light I decide on I want to pick up a few.
Thanks for the great info

You bet my friend, I got a bit carried away but this Jaxman M2 is just over the top and being a mod type even more so it’s really an amazing light and yes price, the price itself last I looked was something like $21 or so, but then the owner puts on his stupid shipping fee and that kills the price and I think adds close to $5 to the price,
I’ve argued with him over that shipping fee stuff for years and he’s not changing his ways, great guy, great designer, but out to make money however he can, most vendors I deal with on Alie don’t charge that shipping so it’s Paul’s way of raising the prices and making it look legit and it’s not, so he knows he’s got an awesome product and I have paid his darn shipping fees many many times and moaning and groaning the entire time but frankly the product he sells is so good it can stand the extra cost, so after I get them and do my thing with them and then resell them it all works out in the end.
I was only glancing at the other light you mentioned and think you said zanflare or something like that, I’ve heard good things about that light, LightBringer really knows what he’s talking about and his recommendations are always good, best of luck to you pal, there’s lots of lights out there believe it or not.

How is the Jaxman M2 holding up for everyone? Any issue