How do you lock your lights?

I’m trying to decide on some Anduril button mappings, and your input would help! Please pick the first option which describes you:

If you have any Anduril 2 lights, how do you lock them?
  • Sometimes I use “4C from On” to lock lights.
  • I never use “4C from On”, but sometimes use other methods to reach Lockout Mode (like “4C from Off” or the auto-lock timer).
  • I don’t use Lockout Mode.
  • Other (please comment below)
0 voters

I’m trying to decide whether to keep “4C from On” as a shortcut from “On” to “Lockout Mode”. If nobody uses it, it could be reassigned to something more useful. But if it’s a feature people use, it should be kept.

Edit: Please vote in the second poll too. It more directly discusses how the buttons should be mapped:

3 Thanks

Manual Lockout — Unscrew Head/Tail cap

12 Thanks

Oh, I chain them up in a pit in the basement.
“It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.” :wink:

6 Thanks

Huh, I did not even realize 4C from ON was even an option for lockout!
I always thought you could only do 4C from OFF.

Learned something new today!

8 Thanks

Sometimes, but rarely, do I use 4C from ON. Usually, I use 4C from OFF. Maybe that is because as far as I remember that was the only lockout with Narsil and I had a few lights with Narsil (and still do).

If 4C from ON was removed I would not be disappointed.

FWIW, I never use the “twist the tail-cap a quarter turn” method. Anduril lights which I carry in a pocket “almost always” receive the e-lockout treatment all the time.

4 Thanks

I prefer manual lockout but do sometimes use 4C on the TS10. Have the aux lights set to go off when locked out so I know. Have accidentally locked out the light a couple of times and the 5C can get really confusing. Have ended up reprogramming a few times before I figured it out. Eliminating 4C from on would be a good thing from my point of view.

3 Thanks

Yeah, it’s designed to make lockout mode more convenient to use instead of “Off” mode. Like, on lights where the button gets pressed easily by accident. It uses 4C to turn on, and 4C to turn off, but the “off” state is locked.

However, I don’t know if people actually use that. I don’t. It’s easier for me to use the auto-lock timer on lights which are easy to activate by accident.

… and with multi-channel lights getting more common, it’d be really handy if I could remap some things to expose channel functions better.

I’m thinking about using this arrangement, maybe:

While on (ramp mode):

• 3C: next channel (like toggling between white and red LEDs)
  • 3H: channel ramp (like smooth CCT ramping)
  • 4C: toggle smooth/stepped ramp

This could help a lot on lights like the LT1S, which have warm/cold CCT ramping and a set of red LEDs.

But then it would take extra steps to go from “on” to lockout mode. Like, turn the light off and then lock it. Or turn it off and wait for the timer to activate. Personally, I use the timer.

I’m also debating whether to leave 3C for ramp shape and use 4C for the next channel. That’s what @gchart did in the LT1S firmware, and it retains better compatibility with older versions of Anduril. But aside from the compatibility concern, I think it would be cleaner to put both tint/channel functions on 3C+3H.

6 Thanks

I only lockout when the light is off, which may be a function of my usage patterns where the light is in my hand almost the entire time but used intermittently (i.e. walking dogs and I must cross the road, ID something of interest, or retrieve their leavings). Llight is off and I then lockout before putting into pocket or bag or on the shelf. Mechanical lockout I tend to use for transportation or longer-term storage.

2 Thanks

I chose other. I don’t really lock out the Andruil lights that I do have. I don’t carry them in my pocket. They usually just get used around the house. I like mechanical clicky lights for carrying. Guess it’s just a habit. Muscle memory can go through 3 modes quickly to get where I want. Anytime I tried to switch it up it always ends up feeling awkward and frustrating. I do like Andruil, just not in my carry lights.

2 Thanks

I find it more convenient to lockout by the tailcap for all lights. There’s no button combo to forget and works independently of the ui.

2 Thanks

I chose other. I don’t use the software lockout. When I want to lock out a light I just crack the tailcap about 1/8th turn.

3 Thanks

I have and i like flashlights with simple modes !

I almost always use the 4C lockout from off, though I use it from on as well on some lights like the TS10 when set up to have aux lights off in lockout, and low in off.

2 Thanks

I tried to edit the poll to change “I don’t use Lockout Mode.” to “I don’t use Lockout Mode, but I might loosen the tailcap.” … but it doesn’t allow edits after 5 minutes. D’oh. Not really a big deal though.

The choices, really, are “I use 4C from On” and “I don’t use 4C from On”… since the main decision is whether to keep that shortcut or if it can be used for something else.

3 Thanks

To be serious for a change, I don’t use Lockout Mode.
I only get flashlights with tail switches now (except for my RovyVon Aurora A23), and my flashlights rarely turn on in my pocket. :+1:

2 Thanks

It depends upon the flashlight. I modified my FW3A’s to have a firmer switch. Works great. I rarely get accidental activations. If clipped to my pocket, I physically lockout. But when stowed away where the switch may get accidentally pressed, I click 4 times.

FWAA: It’s either 4C or physical lockout. I like the swift easy turn of the head for locking, because it’s 4 less clicks of the switch. I imagine these switches will last over 10,000 clicks, but why draw down the count if you don’t have to?

TS10, TS11: If I’m going to use the aux-LED, I 4C. Otherwise, physical lockout.

1 Thank

I only use mechanical lockout.

1 Thank

Unscrew1/4 turn

2 Thanks

I unscrew the tail cap if I’m not planning on using the light; for example a secondary light that’s in a bag. However I use 4C from off when I have it in a pocket and might need to turn it on. For me it’s easier and faster to unlock the light one-handed with the switch rather than tightening the tail cap.

To be honest I didn’t know that 4C from ON will lock the light, but I can’t think of an situation where that would make a difference to me.

2 Thanks

One nice thing about 4C is that your tail cap is fully screwed on. No chance of it unscrewing further. And also, single hand quick 4C and your light is operational.

1 Thank