How do you lock your lights?

So far it looks like, out of 45 people, only 7 ever use 4C from on to lock any lights. And of those 7, it sounds like at least half wouldn’t mind if that shortcut was removed.

This leaves the question of how to map things…

The current mapping is:

• 3C from On: change ramp shape
  • 3H from On: tint ramp (or tint toggle, if configured)
  • 4C from On: go to Lockout Mode
  • 4H from On: (nothing)
  • 5C from On: Momentary Mode
  • 5H from On: Sunset Timer

Alternative A is:

• 3C: tint toggle / next channel
  • 3H: tint ramp
  • 4C: change ramp shape
  • 4H: (nothing, or maybe Lockout Mode)
  • 5C/5H: (unchanged)

Alternative B is:

• 3C: tint toggle / next channel
  • 3H: tint ramp
  • 4C: go to Lockout Mode
  • 4H: change ramp shape
  • 5C/5H: (unchanged)

I’m kind of leaning toward Alternative B. It makes the tint functions significantly easier and more accessible, and retains the shortcut to lockout mode.

However, it breaks backward compatibility, it leaves 3C/3H entirely unused on single-channel lights, and it makes the ramp shape control significantly more awkward… and I don’t know about anyone else, but I use the ramp shape control a lot.

I’m hoping to improve the situation for multi-channel lights, with as little impact as possible on single-channel lights.

Some of the configurations I want to cover are:

• Just white. Regular 1-channel torch.
  • Warm white + cool white. Tint ramp + auto-tint modes. Balanced output or full-power turbo.
  • Flood + throw. Toggle between, or use both. Maybe ramp between too.
  • White + red + UV: 3 channels, toggle between them. Only 1 active at a time.
  • Warm white + cool white + red. Tint ramp + auto-tint modes, plus toggle between white and red. Maybe also ramp between white and red, but not sure of the details.
  • Red + green + blue. Ramp hue between all 3, or toggle between red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, white.

… and hopefully they can all use the same interface, with 3C+3H, and hopefully no need to configure things in an obscure menu.

Any thoughts?

4 Thanks