I've had a Jack Attack. Lanyard attack that is! Photos & video of a newbie knot tyer

Lanyards

Wow, very nice Old!

I don't know about you guys, but on bigger "man-knitting" projects (as my wife terms them), I've found if you get a couple pairs of Vise-grips, and wrap the jaws in hockey tape, you can save some wear and tear on your hands. Use the Vise-grips when you're doing the tugging for the tightening up, and you get a nice, neat appearance to the knots, and no cramping of the hands after a couple of hours working.

Wrapping the jaws just prevents the cord from being chewed by the metal gripping surface.

For Pete's sake, man, COWBOW UP! No wonder your wife calls it "man knitting". Like Chopper says, "Harden the F*@& up"!

All kidding aside, I find it easier to just tape over the hot spot when things get a little tender. Don't the Vice-Grips get in the way? I mean, do you leave then attached to the ends while you weave?

Nice work, OL! You're a natural!! 8)

Prior to here I had been at EDCF and got obsessed with this stuff. Surprisingly, I have not seen any mention of monkey fists here. Have any of you guys made them? If there is enough interest I can post up a tutorial.

@ gorbag - Illinois farm country, soft hands, Really?? LOL, My hands have gone soft over the last few years, so I just tie one or two lanyards a day.

My grandfather's hands were like iron, amazing how we all got soft and lost all the real values from having it so easy.... (just my personal reflection for the day, not directed towards anyone else please).

@ cone - I bet you wear gloves, (little mittens!!). I'm sorryFrown couldn't resist.

@ scaru - I've seen the videos on making them. I've been watching and downloading a lot of youtube videos on paracord lately.

I'll post up a tutorial using a trick I picked up on EDCF later today.

I made my first "mini" lanyard before I had any paracord, so I used 2mm nylon and of course I tightened everything thoroughly. Let's just say my fingers showed some signs of wear and tear the day after.

This tutorial requires a basic knowledge of how to make a monkey fist. This just makes it much easier and makes it so it doesn't require 3 hands. :)

Supplies: I used a Leatherman, a zippo, about 3 feet of paracord, a marble, and a coat hanger.

Cut the coat hanger as shown below.

You want this part. Throw the rest away.

Take a pair of pliers and bend it into this shape.

Then wrap the paracord around that to make the monkey fist.

Push the marble into the center of it. Take a pair of wire cutters and cut the coat hanger so you can slide the monkey fist out.

Tighten the knot around the marble.

Finish tightening it and dressing it then tie the two strings together and you are done.

\

If anyone has any questions about Monkey fists or the tutorial just ask and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

I just finished it up with a cobra weave and a keyring. Now I just need to find something that doesn't have a keychain on it already. :p

Scaru, I really dig the monkey fist jig, very clever. I can do it by hand, but I think your setup will really help my sons.

Old, you've been coming down pretty hard on me lately, no? :( At least now we are having fun together. I have three brothers and work in, for the most part, an all male macho industry, so don't ever feel bad for busting my chops... whether you are being mean or funny, I can take it. Besides, you're not even at the level that my wife achieves on a daily basis.

I don't have a problem with the abrasion of the cord, O Holder of the Giant Man Scepter, but more a problem with cramping in my hand. Low potassium or something. I use the Vise grips to give the tightening tugs, and they're quick to pop on and off.

Monkey fists, love em! Big or small...........

@Cone: I can't really take credit for it. I found it on EDCF a year or two ago but the person took the video of it down.

@Essexman: Nice leather monkey fist! Where did you get the leather string?

Just finished up some more even though I have nothing to do with them.

Not being mean at all, just giving you a little, like you give others, that’s all. (Edit: That’s not my place though and I forget all too often, overstepping like this). I think you and I both “bust chops” too much, even for this forum. I will stop now and leate it alone, as I should have to begin with.

Thanks for the tutorial. It’s something I would never have thought of!

I never thought of making a jig like that for the monkey fists. I just use my human fists and make using frustration and sheer will. Actually they are ridiculously simple using your fingers once you've made a couple.