Lovin the New Site Format

On other websites it is a true return to the top ( it is an OS feature)
In long BLF threads like this it reloads some stuff ( but I also have 400tabs in Safari, with less crap open maybe it doesn’t reload).

You can also use the scrollbar from iOS Safari.
You move the page a bit up or down → a little scrollmarker appears on the side → hold that with the finger and you see a full scrollbar → drag this to the top
Edit: Just tested it with this 90 entries thread: When I drag it to the top I get post #70

2 Thanks

cool, thanks!

Yeah on an iPhone you need to touch the right side of the screen and slightly pull to the left and the slide bar appears…. Then pull it up or down . Not being able to get to the bar on the right was bugging me . You could tell it was there but no amount of tapping baa a ngong or throwing the phone against the wall was working .

Hi there Boaz, thanks for reporting.
Can anybody confirm if what he describes is just an iOS thing or is it somehow specific to this forum? I don’t own any Apple devices, so I appreciate community reports on how they work.

@Boaz
on the iPad I have in the low right corner a blue counter like 92/93
I tab on that and I get an overlay with the forum scrollbar

@sb56637 Is there a way to have the e.g. five last polls in the left sidebar?
ToyKeeper has a poll running about andúril2 UI and it is a bit sad only thread reader notice it.

Good point. They can’t go in the sidebar, but I can pin them to the top of their category and/or to the top of the Latest posts list (homepage). I put @ToyKeeper’s poll on the top of the Latest posts for a week. Just let me know if it needs more time than that.

On an iPhone you have to start some form of movement of the page for the slide at the right to appear . If you click on it it doesn’t do anything, if you try to slide it up or down it doesn’t work . So I move the page up and down to get the slide bar to appear then touch the bar … and slightly pull it towards the center of the screen . That makes the scroll bar about twice as thick and it finally works like it ought to .
It’s a lot of stupid movement which can mistakenly highlight stuff or blow up your whole game …but sorta kinda works

That seems like an effective way to do it, for some things. Like, a traditional poll with the vote in the first post, for topics which seem important enough to pin.

It can only link to topics that way though, not individual posts… so a poll halfway through a thread doesn’t work as well.

If there is ever a “latest polls” widget at some point in the future, I hope it’ll be able to handle polls mid-thread.

1 Thank

Showing this thread some love, I like the new format as well!

Big effort to do a migration like this and it looks great! :slight_smile:

Shine on!

3 Thanks

i got used to it pretty fast
after i figured out how to do the 4 things i do, 99.999% of the time
wle

1 Thank

@lazerEagle Really glad you like it, thanks for saying so!

Thanks a lot for sticking with it and giving it an honest shot. :+1:

1 Thank

TBH, I’m not enjoying the change. I found the previous format far easier to navigate and more generic in terms of interaction. The new format is too busy and less accomodating to non-PC users. My participation here is strictly via Android, and it seems much less accessible and less flexible in screen views and navigation. Strangely, I’ve noticed some significantly impactful members seemed to have disappeared with the rollover. Coincidence, or resultant? In either case, it’s detracted from the overall experience here.
Although I appreciate the efforts put into the current iteration, I’m not a fan of the end product. JMHO.

1 Thank

I wasn’t crazy about learning a new format. I made that clear before the switch. I whined a little after the switch about some small-change crap. Sorry about that. I’m kinda liking it now. I will say that I seem to keep changing between themes. I can’t find one theme that I’m happy with 24/7. That said, there is a lot to like about this new site. The more I learn, the more I like it. You guys did good. :grinning:

3 Thanks

Hi there, thanks for commenting on this. Regarding mobile support, that’s honestly the exact opposite of what I would have expected to hear. The old forum had absolutely no special support for mobile; it worked but it required zooming/panning, and especially things like images were usually not well scaled on smaller mobile screens. Now the new forum engine is highly adapted to support mobile, it actually has a desktop mode and a separate mobile mode. There are of course still limitations on mobile, but those are more due to the inherent nature of a smaller screen and lack of mouse/keyboard input.

At any rate, if you want to try the desktop mode to see if it’s more to your liking you can do that here:

1 Thank

Thanks a lot @bushmaster for sticking with it (us) and giving it a chance. I’m glad you’re starting to like it.

Regarding your theme preferences, is it mainly based on wanting a light theme during the day and a dark theme at night? Maybe a quick toggle for Light/Dark modes would help?

Yeah, I think that’s exactly what it is. Might not have bothered me a couple years ago but my declining eyesight seems to get fuzzy under different lighting situations. I keep switching back and forth. Thanks for asking, sb.

OK thanks @bushmaster , I’ll see what options I have and I’ll let you know if that can be implemented.

Everything looks and “feels” lot better now…took a couple weeks but you guys also did a ton of tweaking which made it nicer. I think I like the BLF theme better than TK’s iteration but I’d sure like to see something between the current light and dark modes…could there be a third option that is somewhere between the two? I’ve defaulted to light mode even though it’s harsh…actually found dark mode to be more straining to my eyes unless I increased ambient lighting. Not a huge deal but would be nice in the future without needing to do scripts on the user end.

I think we did lose a few with the forum change, but who knows why. I noticed that Lightbringer disappeared on the day of the change. Some others hadn’t logged in since before the change but they hadn’t been as active lately anyway. But whatever…the change had to happen and BLF moves forward into the future, right! :slight_smile:

1 Thank

the firefox browser “night mode” provides two more options. it reduces some of the harshness of BLF light (reduces contrast), and alleviates some of the eye strain of BLF dark (increases contrast). here’s what all four look like on firefox/ipad. (i assume other browser also offer this feature.) one downside of night mode is the “BLF” image (top left) is distorted.

1 Thank