[M4D deal ALIVE]: Astrolux S43S really US$ 27.00 + review video + pics + LEGO

LOL

@DavidED, in his giant HMR Q8, DB Custom is actually only using dual BeCu springs! Even I was impressed since the light is pulling 21A/dual spring array! The dual spring array is extremely potent, to the point of I not even expecting it.

@Tom E, WHY and HOW did you get a boost in output going from a dual gold plated phosphor bronze spring array to a SINGLE of my nickel plated BeCu large springs?

That does not make too much sense. If you didn’t get more output, I wouldn’t have said anything, but you got more output from a single spring? I’m puzzled to say the least…

@Tom E 2, availability shouldn’t be a problem now with me this time in the picture :wink:

Wait, why do you think the stock springs are gold plated phosphor springs? I just figured they were typical gold looking covered steel. I can't find anything on springs on the BG web page, or noted here in this thread, but could be missing something.

1. Some of our members noted currents of 15A+ going through the tail spring.

Even a dual steel spring array would easily melt under that load with 4x Nichia 219Cs in parallel.

2. If I remember well, the springs do not stick to a magnet. That is the main takeaway.

In the S42 and Astrolux MF series of lights, they are using springs that are very barely magnetic, due to the small nickel percentage in the phosphor bronze.

Hhmmm, I dunno. I find it hard to believe they are using some decent springs when some of the other components are sub par, but of course it's possible. I've used the stock dbl springs on a Q8 running on one cell before, but don't think it hits 15A but should have been over 10A, and the Q8 uses cheaper springs, I believe.

I do really like the switch of the S43S - nice sound, good feel, but I prefer the softer switches, specially with press&hold ops like ramping. I know TA worked on the driver, just not sure if it was he who designed the complete driver w/USB charging. I gott break it all down and check it out. It appears to be 2 boards stacked, one probably vertical with the USB connector mounting as it is. It's probably glued in there, so would have to poke it out from the top, maybe with some risk.

Tom, here are 2 threads where TA has talked about the light in more detail. Driver pics as well.

I believe the charging circuit is the same board used in the earlier S41 and S42 models. The charge rate us 0.5A, but can be increased with a resistor swap.

Ahh, ok, thanx for the refs!! Was glad to read TA confirmed my thoughts about the lumens blocking bezel. Well guess he commented first...

Also the driver is arranged bout like I thought. Bad news is re-flashing looks complicated...

How long until the discount ends?

One more ques, can you take the black anodizing on the bezel off?

not sure when the price changes.

anno can be removed by grinding/polishing or using chemicals/polishing

If anyone is interested, HERE are my test results on the S43S 219C version.

I got 18.6A with a 30Q as opposed to Martin’s 15A. It definitely gets hot quick.

219c draw more As thhan my Xpg3 version. ;)

thanks for your data!

Did all of you get your flashlights?
I still wait and ordered the same day I got coupon…

No.

I just tried my S42 bezel on my S43S copper head, and it wouldn’t go on. The S43S bezel does fit the S42 head, though. Slightly different size? Or are my lights possibly out of tolerance? I really wanted the flat bezel to fit on my S43S. :frowning:

What are some recommended 18350 and 18650 cells to use in the S43?

It depends on what your looking for. Max output? Some something high drain like 30Q, VTC5D, VTC6, etc… If less power and longer run time then a high capacity cell like the Panny GA, 35E or MJ1.

For 18350 cells Martin did a whole video testing several. If it’s not in this thread, you can find it here.

Got my today :slight_smile:
Waiting for the dark…

Thanks — I’d probably like to have the option for both. Long runtime for typical EDC, and then max power when a situation calls for it (just swap cells). I’ll check out Martin’s video—didn’t realize he’d created one. Good guy!

Anyone have any issues with the 18350 tube on? When trying mine with the 18350 tube and a Keeppower 18350 1200mah battery, it almost crushes the battery. It is deforming the batteries end and the light won’t turn off once it is fully screw down. I am not sure what I am missing here.

I have Aspire “1300 mAh” (actually 1100 mAh) cell in mine and it seems to be fine, but the Aspire that I have is flat top. Also there are likely differences in cell lengths and I don’t know if the Aspire cell is “long” or “short” for its size. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a couple of new Efest cells at home. I will try one later, when I get home from work.